Has the Republican party lost its collective mind?

Moontanman

Only FOX NEWS LIES! Man, you have gonads the size of an elephant.

Do you perhaps have a diagnosed problem that impacts your reading comprehension? That's the only reasonable explanation I can think of given your perception of what I shared.

You may refer to me as being ignorant or even an idiot, but that only tells me that if I disagree with your standards, I'm wrong.

What standards are those? The ones that allow us to separate fact from fiction, and reality from myth, perhaps?

Groupthink? Maybe the same way german soldiers behaved before and during WWII?

I think it's partially that, and also that so many Americans have this fantasy vision of what this country is all about. We brag about our freedoms and lifestyles and economic superiority, but to some that means never questioning that superiority in any way, like we'll break it if we look too closely. Like you're only patriotic if you just accept it all and don't try to make things better.

Considering that we spend more than any other country in the world on health care, why do we have more deaths per capita from birth complications that Kuwait, Bulgaria and South Korea? And what do you think fanciful attitudes like Rep. Walsh's do to help us improve those numbers? How can he justify his party's attitude that 47% of the people are completely dependent on the government when he's completely dependent on the concept that you "can't find one instance" where a woman could die from birth complications because modern technology will save them? Has he or anyone from his office bothered to read the statistics that say birth complications nationwide have more than doubled in the last 20 years?

Politicians are ingrained to lie Moon.

Yet somehow, one party lies far more often and severely than the other. And their followers repeat the lies even after being corrected. Any guess which party that would be?

Rigney, in my humble opinion you should start the day by answering the questions posed to you.

Only after you have demonstrated your commitment to proper democratic debate should you launch any new points.

As far as I can tell that's what you signed up to as part of the rules here.

Just saw this on twitter

Lol. Shared it yesterday. :)

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/69477-who-really-killed-our-ambassador-to-libya/page__view__findpost__p__708916

Considering that we spend more than any other country in the world on health care, why do we have more deaths per capita from birth complications that Kuwait, Bulgaria and South Korea? And what do you think fanciful attitudes like Rep. Walsh's do to help us improve those numbers? How can he justify his party's attitude that 47% of the people are completely dependent on the government when he's completely dependent on the concept that you "can't find one instance" where a woman could die from birth complications because modern technology will save them? Has he or anyone from his office bothered to read the statistics that say birth complications nationwide have more than doubled in the last 20 years?

No. We've decided as a nation to instead focus our resources on proving the president was born in Kenya.

No. We've decided as a nation to instead focus our resources on proving the president was born in Kenya.

Some of this crap is SOOOOOOO inane that it makes you wonder if it's not some kind of magician's hand-waiving to hide what they're really doing, like messing with voter registration and voting hours while waiving the Constitution around and claiming the president isn't a citizen. Is this just to distract from more fraudulent efforts to manipulate the voting process and get Mitt elected at ANY cost? Are we going to see more 2000/2004 close-call ballot box deceit?

I do not see what is so wrong with this guy's beliefs.

I think most of the members in this thread are just unable to look outside your own little intellectual world to understand beliefs that are different from your own.

You accuse Republicans of being intolerant and close-minded. From some of the comments I have seen in this thread, I can't help but see the irony.

While I believe in evolution, I don't go around ridiculing people just because they hold a religious belief that humans and dinosaurs co-existed. If some parents feel so strongly about creationism, what is the big deal about having the teacher quickly mention that "Some people believe that God created all the plants and animals in seven days" ? Are you afraid that your child might be "converted" by this?

Edited by Anders Hoveland

"You accuse Republicans of being intolerant and close-minded. "

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm accusing them of flat out dishonesty. They say they believe one thing then they say they believe the exact opposite.

Either they have no idea what they believe or they are deliberately lying. And I don't think they are too dumb to know what they are saying so that leaves one option.

They are liars.

Do you think the US president should be elected on the basis of telling lies?

How would you know what he will actually do if he were in power?

"If some parents feel so strongly about creationism, what is the big deal about having the teacher quickly mention that "Some people believe that God created all the plants and animals in seven days" ? "

Nothing.

But that's not what they are saying is it?

This is what they are saying

http://io9.com/5921074/christian-fundamentalist-textbooks-touting-the-loch-ness-monster-as-proof-of-creationism

Now, there's a massive difference

"Some people believe that God created all the plants and animals in seven days" is true- some people believe that.

On the other hand "Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more convinced of their existence. " is a lie because scientists are not doing that.

Now do you really think it's good to tell lies to schoolchildren and present them as truth?

Also, strawman arguments are a logical fallacy and, as such, not permitted on this site.

Edited by John Cuthber

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm accusing them of flat out dishonesty.

They are liars.

Neither political party has a monopoly on lying.

But yeah, Romney is willing to say just about anything if he thinks it will get him elected. Republican voters are not happy with Romney, but that is what the Republican Party leaders pushed on their constituency. And now it's "Better Romney than Obama", the reasoning goes. :(

This is what they are saying

http://io9.com/59210...-of-creationism

Also, strawman arguments are a logical fallacy and, as such, not permitted on this site.

If that link isn't a strawman, I don't know what is.

Edited by Anders Hoveland

You know it's not a strawman, it's the message that the creationists are trying to push.

Claiming that all they want is "having the teacher quickly mention that "Some people believe that God created all the plants and animals in seven days" ? "

is just plain wrong and it's obviously wrong.

So, it's a strawman.

Why don't you admit it?

While I believe in evolution, I don't go around ridiculing people just because they hold a religious belief that humans and dinosaurs co-existed. If some parents feel so strongly about creationism, what is the big deal about having the teacher quickly mention that "Some people believe that God created all the plants and animals in seven days" ? Are you afraid that your child might be "converted" by this?

So one one hand you argue that liberal intellectuals don't like separation of powers in government, but on the other hand you claim that supporting a separation of church and state makes them afraid? I find this type of cherry-picking very typical of Republicans.

You want every embryo protected but don't want your taxes to support all the unwanted children once they're born. You want your right to bear arms and then scream that we need more police and prisons but we have to stop growing the government. You want less regulations that stop businesses from harmful practices and more regulations that bar citizens from suing businesses when they're harmed. You want less taxes so you can create jobs for America and then you create those jobs overseas.

And the big deal is not some quick mention of literal Biblical interpretation, the big deal is that some of these ultra-conservative, Republican parents want evolution and a great deal more removed from the curricula because higher order thinking is causing their children to question what these parents hold sacred, and that seems un-American to them. Progress, intelligence and knowledge are becoming anathema in this country thanks to your "What is the big deal" attitude.

I think most of the members in this thread are just unable to look outside your own little intellectual world to understand beliefs that are different from your own.

You accuse Republicans of being intolerant and close-minded. From some of the comments I have seen in this thread, I can't help but see the irony.

What they want is to indoctrinate everyone's children with their particular brand of religion, it's called YEC or simply fundamentalism. They do not want a passing mention they want it presented as "revealed truth" it's dishonest, the entire premise is built on lies and I'm not saying those lies are in the bible. They make the claim that only atheists believe in evolution when this is clearly not true. The leaders of this YEC stuff are nothing but snake oil salesmen fleecing the sheep to make money. The dishonesty of these people knows no bounds...

They distort real science by trying to teach creation science which is a lie, creation science exists only as an apologetic arm of fundamentalism, they do not try to investigate reality all they do is lie about what science says to distract people from the truth, if I was religious I would think that creationism is the religion of the anti christ, satan is the author of all lies.... :unsure:

Edited by Moontanman

Some of this crap is SOOOOOOO inane that it makes you wonder if it's not some kind of magician's hand-waiving to hide what they're really doing, like messing with voter registration and voting hours while waiving the Constitution around and claiming the president isn't a citizen. Is this just to distract from more fraudulent efforts to manipulate the voting process and get Mitt elected at ANY cost? Are we going to see more 2000/2004 close-call ballot box deceit?

Well, I called it, and now we see what the magician was doing with the hand you couldn't see....

http://www.forbes.co...causes-concern/

http://www.sciencefo...513#entry709513

It's not so much what's wrong with his beliefs as what the hell are his beliefs.

We all do it, at least most of what you see here is backed up by some sort of evidence.

That would be like me asking what the big deal is if I told a bunch of school age children that some people believe you can't get pregnant if you don't want to. It's a blatant lie and, as such, should not be tolerated from an authority figure who is supposed to be educating. The problem is that these people actually believe their beliefs trump reality. Nature doesn't care what you believe, it is going to carry on with its materialistic, deterministic ways. If we allow Creationism or ID into a science classroom there is nothing stopping anyone from saying, "My religion doesn't believe in the Holocaust/Pythagorean Theorem/F=ma/any factual occurrence. It's not about someone being converted, I couldn't care less if my child believed in a diety, it's complete idiocy that terrifies me.

It's bad enough the Republicans are supporting Creationists but this guy is even further out there, he believes in Dragons!

Substitute any nationality or skin color for the word "women" and you should have your answer.

What Romney (and Hoveland, apparently) have forgotten is the word "qualified". If people are equally qualified for a position, using race or gender or any other metric that has nothing to do with capability is unproductive and discriminatory.

Whoa whoa whoa... you don't believe in dragons?

More GOP absurd stupidity. All in the name of God of course! I really hope that the people in Indiana (A given red state for decades) have enough sense to not vote for this guy. These comments are not accidents, or slips of the tongue, or taking out of context; the GOP is overflowing with stupid.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/10/23/richard-mourdock-abortion_n_2007482.html?icid=hp_front_top_art