Has the Republican party lost its collective mind?

Moontanman

Proving that Claire McCaskill, Todd Akin's Democratic opponent, is no dummy, her campaign spent roughly $2 million to help Akin win the Republican nomination.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/candidates-comments-on-rape-draw-criticism/

Can you blame dems for wanting him as an opponent? As much as I despised Biden's scheme about chaining people up again as a calculated gaffe against republicans, this ass Akin is a "for real bat shit nut case" and scary. Hell! It's cooks like him that may get me to start believing in the tooth fairy and "Puff" all over again. But no Moon!, It won't convince me into becoming a democrat. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-women-politics-20120821,0,3923114.story Edited by rigney

Well, thanks for spotting that Rigney, but I don't think it was news to most of us that " Akin is a "for real bat shit nut case" and scary."

You may remember that what we asked for (repeatedly) was evidence of any prominent Left wing nut jobs making comparably stupid assertions.

Any luck finding those?

I realise that Akin has "raised the bar" a bit. If it was difficult to find a matchingly barking Left winger before when all you had to do was find one who believed in dragons, it must be damned nigh impossible now.

Is it just that there simply are no serious Left wing politicians who have utterly lost the plot in that way?

Give me a quote from any reputable republican that can top any of the gaffs Biden has made and I will readily agree with Moonman. Biden's is sad commentary at best, dragons or no dragons. A mistake is something like Romney made when he presented Paul Ryan as the next president of the United States instead of VP, but then immediately clarified his blunder.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/joebiden/a/bidenisms.htm

Can you blame dems for wanting him as an opponent? As much as I despised Biden's scheme about chaining people up again as a calculated gaffe against republicans, this ass Akin is a "for real bat shit nut case" and scary. Hell! It's cooks like him that may get me to start believing in the tooth fairy and "Puff" all over again. But no Moon!, It won't convince me into becoming a democrat. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-women-politics-20120821,0,3923114.story

Aw come on rigney, you promised...

There are some truly frightening people in positions of power in this country. Is this guy threatening civil war? Is he putting out the call for civil war? Is he hoping for it? Beyond inexcusable.

What's next?

I would hate to see this guys record as a judge. I am sure he has been unbiased.

Did the Republicans check to see if his doctorate was in medicine before they started using him to inform voters and their representatives on important medical issues? If he was actually used to speak to voter groups, how is this really any different than treason? He betrayed the confidence placed in him as a medical professional informing members of Congress about medical matters vital to the public's understanding.

The conservative lunatic fringe seems to thrive in the southwestern US —

• the 1963 assassination of Democratic President Kennedy (Dallas TX),
  • the 2011 attempted assassination of Democratic Representative Giffords (Tucson AZ),
  • the Koresh Branch Davidians, and the 1993 siege (Waco TX), and
  • the polygamist/pedophilic Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints (AZ, TX, CO and UT).

Can anyone think of any others?

Well, here's one from the Left. I don't think there's any island theory from the left feeding this though.

This guy surely must have calculated the weight of dragons and dinasaurs coming with the military families yet to arrive on Guam? Pitiful, but I'm sure Biden must have had this "Fellow" as a confidant and speech writer during his visit to Danville, Virginia. Edited by rigney

Interesting, I didn't know who the guy was so I had a look on wiki and found this

"In December 2009, Johnson revealed that he had been battling Hepatitis C for over a decade, which resulted in slow speech and a tendency to regularly get "lost in thought in the middle of a discussion"."

So at least he has a reason for losing the plot.

Florida republican governor Charlie Crist has had enough and endorses Obama.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/08/crist-endorses-obama-133215.html

As Republicans gather in Tampa to nominate Mitt Romney, Americans can expect to hear tales of how President Obama has failed to work with their party or turn the economy around.

But an element of their party has pitched so far to the extreme right on issues important to women, immigrants, seniors and students that they've proven incapable of governing for the people. Look no further than the inclusion of the Akin amendment in the Republican Party platform, which bans abortion, even for rape victims.

The truth is that the party has failed to demonstrate the kind of leadership or seriousness voters deserve.

Pundits looking to reduce something as big as a statewide election to a single photograph have blamed the result of my 2010 campaign for U.S. Senate on my greeting of President Obama. I didn't stand with our president because of what it could mean politically; I did it because uniting to recover from the worst financial crisis of our lifetimes was more important than party affiliation. I stood with our nation's leader because it was right for my state.

President Obama has a strong record of doing what is best for America and Florida, and he built it by spending more time worrying about what his decisions would mean for the people than for his political fortunes. That's what makes him the right leader for our times, and that's why I'm proud to stand with him today.

I have a dream, that one day Americans will vote with their intellect and not their emotions, one day politicians will be judged not by which religious agenda they support but by reality... I have a dream... but lately it's been a nightmare....

• 1 month later...

For those of you who believed the GOP spin that Akin was a lone extremist working from bad information given to him by a third party, here's the latest insanity from a prominent Republican. It seems Republican Rep. Joe Walsh from Illinois claims that women don't need an exception for abortions that threaten the life of the mother because modern science guarantees that women can't be hurt due to birth complications.

After everything that's been going on with regard to misunderstood science, how can these people continue to spout off to the media on issues they're just guessing about? And I guess a deeper question is, is it really insanity if so many people believe the crap they're saying?

What amazes me is rigney's obsession with the truth when his candidate and his party can be shown to be intentionally lying like a rug about very nearly everything. I don't mean "spin" or being misinformed i mean actively lying about everything. It is disgusting, I have to think it's a classic case of projection.

And yet rigney, you do your best to ferret out any possibility of lies from Obama and cling to them like they are the breath of life. The supposed lie you keep dwelling on is nothing compared to your boy Mitt, in fact it can be chalked up to the POTUS being misinformed or even needing the truth to be hidden for reasons only known to the POTUS, i see no way he could make any advantage out of lying about this.

But even if he is lying about this case, and it's quite possibly he was lying intentionally, how does that compare to Mitt and crew? The best way to see if they are lying is to see if their lips are moving. So many republican lies have been pointed out i honestly wonder if they can tell the truth but let Obama be mistaken about something that happened and you want to hang him for it?

How can you justify such a double standard? Why are Mitt's lies ok but Obama can't even be wrong without republicans screaming liar liar pants on fire, Mitt should be charcoal by now...

After everything that's been going on with regard to misunderstood science, how can these people continue to spout off to the media on issues they're just guessing about? And I guess a deeper question is, is it really insanity if so many people believe the crap they're saying?

Groupthink? Maybe the same way german soldiers behaved before and during WWII?

What amazes me is rigney's obsession with the truth when his candidate and his party can be shown to be intentionally lying like a rug about very nearly everything. I don't mean "spin" or being misinformed i mean actively lying about everything. It is disgusting, I have to think it's a classic case of projection.

And yet rigney, you do your best to ferret out any possibility of lies from Obama and cling to them like they are the breath of life. The supposed lie you keep dwelling on is nothing compared to your boy Mitt, in fact it can be chalked up to the POTUS being misinformed or even needing the truth to be hidden for reasons only known to the POTUS, i see no way he could make any advantage out of lying about this.

But even if he is lying about this case, and it's quite possibly he was lying intentionally, how does that compare to Mitt and crew? The best way to see if they are lying is to see if their lips are moving. So many republican lies have been pointed out i honestly wonder if they can tell the truth but let Obama be mistaken about something that happened and you want to hang him for it?

How can you justify such a double standard? Why are Mitt's lies ok but Obama can't even be wrong without republicans screaming liar liar pants on fire, Mitt should be charcoal by now...

But even if (Obama) he is lying about this case, and it's quite possibly he was lying intentionally, how does that compare to Mitt and crew? The best way to see if they are lying is to see if their lips are moving. So many republican lies have been pointed out i honestly wonder if they can tell the truth but let Obama be mistaken about something that happened and you want to hang him for it?

Politicians are ingrained to lie Moon. Actually it's almost like breathing to them. My problem with Obama is not his political stance but his inability to do anything but brag about the unfulfilled promises of his past four years in office. If Mitt wins and does the same thing, or worse; we kick his ass to the curb come Nov. 2016 and get someone else. You gotta remember, "Success can walk the walk, Bullshit is nothing but trash talk" and at present, Romney is not President. Edited by rigney

Politicians are ingrained to lie Moon. Actually it's almost like breathing to them. My problem with Obama is not his political stance but his inability to do anything but brag about the unfulfilled promises of his past four years in office.

As has been repeatedly (and often) demonstrated to you, this premise is false, yet it remains at the foundation of your entire position. My problem is less with the politicians (and their corporate public relations arms like Fox News) who lie and more with our ignorant populace who keep allowing themselves to be spoon fed those lies unquestioned.

Your point is very simply wrong. It is unfounded, and nonsensical upon even remedial scrutiny. Yet... You keep repeating it. Over. And Over. And over and over again. What does that say about you? What does that say about us as a people?

As has been repeatedly (and often) demonstrated to you, this premise is false, yet it remains at the foundation of your entire position. My problem is less with the politicians (and their corporate public relations arms like Fox News) who lie and more with our ignorant populace who keep allowing themselves to be spoon fed those lies unquestioned.

Your point is very simply wrong. It is unfounded, and nonsensical upon even remedial scrutiny. Yet... You keep repeating it. Over. And Over. And over and over again. What does that say about you? What does that say about us as a people?

Only FOX NEWS LIES! Man, you have gonads the size of an elephant. You may refer to me as being ignorant or even an idiot, but that only tells me that if I disagree with your standards, I'm wrong. Well! The only thiing I can say to that is, "Bless your heart". Edited by rigney

My problem with Obama is not his political stance but his inability to do anything but brag about the unfulfilled promises of his past four years in office.

Um, I'm pretty sure he's not bragging about anything he hasn't fulfilled, just the ones he has. You continue to ignore all his accomplishments, despite having them laid out before you multiple times.

And if this is your metric, why do you think Bush 2.0 is better? I won't even go back to "Mission Accomplished, Gee I can't think of three mistakes I made in my first four years" GW Bush's unjustified bragging. Let's take Mitt's bragging about how much his mandated health plan in Massachusetts cares about people, about how much empathy it has with the working class, when he basically wants to repeal Obama's mandated health reform for the whole country, replacing all the best parts with... nothing. No protection for pre-existing conditions, no protection from unscrupulous health insurers, nothing. Bush 2.0 constantly talks about how he helped Massachusetts, but he will repeal that same help just because it came from Obama.

Why don't you have a problem with THAT, rigney?

Here's Mitt bragging about his decision to use Chinese labor while at Bain Capital:

"95% of life is set up for you if you were born in this country. And, I remember going to ah, uh, sorry just to bore you with stories.

When I was back in my private equity days, we went to China to buy a factory there. It employed about 20,000 people. And they were almost all young women between the ages of about 18 and 22 or 23. They were saving for potentially becoming married.

And they work in these huge factories, they made various uh, small appliances. And uh, as we were walking through this facility, seeing them work, the number of hours they worked per day, the pitance they earned, living in dormitories with uh, with little bathrooms at the end of maybe 10, 10 room, rooms. And the rooms they have 12 girls per room.

Three bunk beds on top of each other. You've seen, you've seen them? (Oh...yeah, yeah!) And, and, and around this factory was a fence, a huge fence with barbed wire and guard towers. And, and, we said gosh! I can't believe that you, you know, keep these girls in! They said, no, no, no. This is to keep other people from coming in.

Because people want so badly to come work in this factory that we have to keep them out. Or they will just come in here and start working and, and try and get compensated. So we, this is to keep people out. And they said, actually Chinese New Year as the girls go home, sometimes they decide they've saved enough money and they don't come back to the factory.

And he said, so, on the weekend after Chinese New Year there will be a line of people hundreds long, outside the factory, hoping that some girls haven't come back. And they can come to the factory. And, and so as we were experiencing this for the first time, going to see a factory like this in China some years ago.

The Bain Partner I was with turned to me and said, you know, 95% of life is settled if you are born in America. This is uh, this is an amazing land and what we have is unique and fortunately it is so special we are sharing it with the world."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/10/1129902/-Mitt-Romney-admits-using-Chinese-slave-labor-Bain