Has the Republican party lost its collective mind?

Moontanman

From http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/05/allen-quist-michele-bachmann-campaign:

"and went undercover at an adult bookstore and a gay bathhouse in an effort to prove to a local newspaper reporter that they had become a "haven for anal intercourse." "

sure... Want to know how I know this guy is secretly gay?

Sure, which one?

It's bad enough the Republicans are supporting Creationists but this guy is even further out there, he believes in Dragons!

A typical for this joker. But then I wondered, has he ever had any real fun? So, thought I'd throw him some real Biden humor.

Edited by rigney

Atypical? he is running for office, he is the man who will run against the democrats to serve in Washington, he is not some distant nutter making noise. Are you saying that this guy is not the best the republicans can come up with for this election?

Atypical? he is running for office, he is the man who will run against the democrats to serve in Washington, he is not some distant nutter making noise. Are you saying that this guy is not the best the republicans can come up with for this election?

Well, the Dems have Biden, don't they?

Ok, what has Biden said that was completely batshit crazy?

Nothing as far as I know. It's just that his bat shit rhetorical sayings are silly and inane. That crack in Danville, Va. the other day about puttin' you'll back in chains to a predominantly black audience, was about as dumb and stupid as it gets. Then to have several astute democrats say, Oh, he really didn't mean it that way; is more BS. If you don't want that right wing conservative nut case as you describe him in congress, then it's best you don't let Biden run against him.

From http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/05/allen-quist-michele-bachmann-campaign:

"and went undercover at an adult bookstore and a gay bathhouse in an effort to prove to a local newspaper reporter that they had become a "haven for anal intercourse." "

sure... Want to know how I know this guy is secretly gay?

I'll bet "Puff" the magic one told you? Edited by rigney

Nothing as far as I know. It's just that his bat shit rhetorical sayings are silly and inane. That crack in Danville, Va. the other day about puttin' you'll back in chains to a predominantly black audience, was about as dumb and stupid as it gets. Then to have several astute democrats say, Oh, he really didn't mean it that way; is more BS. If you don't want that right wing conservative nut case as you describe him in congress, then it's best you don't let Biden run against him.

I'll bet "Puff" the magic one told you?

So you think that Biden's remark about chains is batshit crazy but belief in dragons is not? Or do you think they are equally crazy?

Anyone who would vote for someone who thinks dragons are real and dinosaurs existed up until a few hundred years ago is either willfully ignorant or stupid... no wait they are the same thing. The "chains" remark is subject to opinion, dragons are real is just stupid...

Rigney, I've given it some thought, in this thread you have shown your true colors.. you are a right wing nut... you are not middle of the road in any respect. If a progressive said something as stupid as this guy I'd be all over him like white on rice but all you do is try to defend him by misdirection.

This guy is crazy (or a liar trying to manipulate ignorant people), if you had actually paid attention to the video instead of blaming the man who was reporting it because you don't like him you might have seen the batshit crazy.

There is simply no way to defend this guy, if he was a progressive i would denounce him immediately, the idea that if you can show someone else from the other side is crazy as well doesn't make him any less crazy. But your example of crazy is not even close to the same thing. Biden might say something you disagree with but is what he said really equal to saying that dragons are real?

Seriously rigney, do you want to back away from trying to excuse this guy or do you want to go with batshit crazy simply because he's not a progressive? Is not being a progressive really so important that you will excuse anything the conservatives say?

Its insane to think that anybody could be more deranged than M. Bachmann. But this guy is beyond stupid, he should be committed against his will, his positions are absolutely absurd, vile, and criminal. Its people like him that continue to erode the intellect of this country. He is the reason our schools are failing. He is to root of why this country is losing ground. Whats worse, is people actually voted for this guy. I am so disgusted I can't even put it into words. Guys like this seriously make me wonder the fate of humanity.

''Do you know, where does this phrase 'separation of church and state' come from? It was not in Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists. ... The exact phrase 'separation of Church and State' came out of Adolph Hitler's mouth, that's where it comes from. So the next time your liberal friends talk about the separation of Church and State, ask them why they're Nazis.'' —Glen Urquhart, the Tea Party-backed Republican nominee for the Delaware House, April 2010
"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State." --Thomas Jefferson, in his letter to the Danbury Baptists

:blink:

"We have a president, who I think is, is a nice guy, but he spent too much time at Harvard, perhaps." —Mitt Romney, who has two Harvard degrees (April 5, 2012)

I started to laugh when I heard this one, then I just got madder and madder. To think that someone blessed enough to earn two degrees from an institution like Harvard using it as a hypocritical and derogatory term is beyond crazy. I think it's criminal.

These are your very words Moon, not mine. Quote:So you think that Biden's remark about chains is batshit crazy but belief in dragons is not? Or do you think they are equally crazy? I said nothing about being bat shit crazy, only bat shit silly and inane. Chances are that that right wing nutter will never win any election, but Mr. Biden is a sitting vice president. So tell me, who has the most to lose, the right wing nutter or Obama? And yes, you have found me out again, as things stand right now I'm a straight ticket voting Rrepublican.

Edited by rigney

These are your very words Moon, not mine. Quote:So you think that Biden's remark about chains is batshit crazy but belief in dragons is not? Or do you think they are equally crazy? I said nothing about being bat shit crazy, only bat shit silly and inane. Chances are that that right wing nutter will never win any election, but Mr. Biden is a sitting vice president. So tell me, who has the most to lose, the right wing nutter or Obama? And yes, you have found me out again, as things stand right now I'm a straight ticket voting Rrepublican.

Well then if you were in Minnesota you would be voting for the guy who believes in dragons... This guy is not some lone nutter, he has already won the republican primary, did you not watch the video?

Well then if you were in Minnesota you would be voting for the guy who believes in dragons... This guy is not some lone nutter, he has already won the republican primary, did you not watch the video?

But I'm not in Minnesota Moon! If you have a ward or district that would vote for such a wacko, I'd suggest you be watching them rather closely. Biden on the other hand belongs to the nation as of now. Do we want him and his kiddy type of philosopy another four years? Actually, what has he done in this term other than make a few gaffs? Poor Obama. I hope he can find a descent job come December. Edited by rigney

But I'm not in Minnesota Moon! If you have a ward or district that would vote for such a wacko, I'd suggest you be watching them rather closely. Biden on the other hand belongs to the nation as of now. Do we want him and his kiddy type of philosopy another four years? Actually, what has he done in this term other than make a few gaffs? Poor Obama. I hope he can find a descent job come December.

No rigney you are not in Minnesota, and he is not the only Republican that is batshit crazy and accepted by the party as the best they have. If this jackass wins he will go to Washington and vote based his batshit crazy world view.

He is not alone rigney, on a local level his spiritual brothers are in office every where looking to climb up, by voting a straight ticket you will be voting for nutters like this.

As for Biden better him than someone like Allen Quist...

Edited by Moontanman

No rigney you are not in Minnesota, and he is not the only Republican that is batshit crazy and accepted by the party as the best they have. If this jackass wins he will go to Washington and vote based his batshit crazy world view.

He is not alone rigney, on a local level his spiritual brothers are in office every where looking to climb up, by voting a straight ticket you will be voting for nutters like this.

As for Biden better him than someone like Allen Quist...

How come it's only Republicans whom you think are bat shit crazy? Your ranting and ravings will change nothing Moon. When the elections have been concluded in November we will know what these next four years will hold for us. So just chill out for a couple months. You certainly aren't making friends or influencing people with you present rhetoric.

How come it's only Republicans whom you think are bat shit crazy? Your ranting and ravings will change nothing Moon.

Show me some progressives who are batshit crazy and being promoted as the best the party has and I'll be all over them. Both parties have people who are crazy but I see no progressives being supported despite being batshit crazy...

When the elections have been concluded in November we will know what these next four years will hold for us. So just chill out for a couple months. You certainly aren't making friends or influencing people with you present rhetoric.

Why should i chill out? You certainly are not chilling out, you consistently post stuff praising your party and it's members, usually based on nonsense, you want me to stop? go pound sand...

Show me some progressives who are batshit crazy and being promoted as the best the party has and I'll be all over them. Both parties have people who are crazy but I see no progressives being supported despite being batshit crazy...

Why should i chill out? You certainly are not chilling out, you consistently post stuff praising your party and it's members, usually based on nonsense, you want me to stop? go pound sand...

Ah! There you go again Moon, being bitter. Since I don't want you to go into cardiac arrest, just chill out a bit. Anyway, what do you mean by; go pound sand? Edited by rigney

Ah! There you go again Moon, being bitter. Since I don't want you to go into cardiac arrest, just chill out a bit. Anyway, what do you mean by; go pound sand?

If you really want to drop his blood pressure, why not actually do as he asks and provide some evidence of batshit crazy left wingers actually being chosen to represent a legitimate political party?

Ah! There you go again Moon, being bitter. Since I don't want you to go into cardiac arrest, just chill out a bit. Anyway, what do you mean by; go pound sand?

Do you really think I am sitting here all red faced over what you are saying??? hehehe, that's funny :rolleyes:

Get your self a bucket of sand and a large hammer, pound the sand thoroughly for 4 hours, see what you get...

To try and get this thread back on track, I think the Republicans misread the reasons behind their defeat in 2008, like they weren't "Republican" enough after the Bush years to beat Obama. I also think the Republicans have swung way too far right, similar to the way the Dems swung way too far left after losing to Reagan (anyone remember Mondale and then Dukakis?). We're seeing extremism going on here in a big way, but it's not anything new.

The extremes should worry us only when, like now, they threaten to have complete control. I wasn't worried about Dennis Kucinich getting the voting age lowered to 16 when I supported his first run for the presidency, since he wouldn't have had control enough in Congress. It should worry us though that some of the radical right could hold all the cards if they win enough Senate seats and also manage to get Romney in as president. I'd hate to see four years of Democratic filibustering and no real progress just to stop the crazy from happening.

Obama is enough of a moderate that I wouldn't mind seeing a clean sweep if the Dems manage to win back the House (a very big if). I think we need some change that's big enough to make a difference but not big enough to scare everyone into inaction. I'm leery of whether or not that change is going to come in the areas it really needs to. Both majors are beholden to too much corporate cash to effectively hold on to a middle class neither party seems willing to defend, but is clearly responsible for much of our former glory and prosperity.

To try and get this thread back on track, I think the Republicans misread the reasons behind their defeat in 2008, like they weren't "Republican" enough after the Bush years to beat Obama. I also think the Republicans have swung way too far right, similar to the way the Dems swung way too far left after losing to Reagan (anyone remember Mondale and then Dukakis?). We're seeing extremism going on here in a big way, but it's not anything new.

The extremes should worry us only when, like now, they threaten to have complete control. I wasn't worried about Dennis Kucinich getting the voting age lowered to 16 when I supported his first run for the presidency, since he wouldn't have had control enough in Congress. It should worry us though that some of the radical right could hold all the cards if they win enough Senate seats and also manage to get Romney in as president. I'd hate to see four years of Democratic filibustering and no real progress just to stop the crazy from happening.

Obama is enough of a moderate that I wouldn't mind seeing a clean sweep if the Dems manage to win back the House (a very big if). I think we need some change that's big enough to make a difference but not big enough to scare everyone into inaction. I'm leery of whether or not that change is going to come in the areas it really needs to. Both majors are beholden to too much corporate cash to effectively hold on to a middle class neither party seems willing to defend, but is clearly responsible for much of our former glory and prosperity.

This, bold part, pretty much says it all for me, neither party is really independent of the monetary influence of corporations, banks and other groups with the money to buy our legislators. I think the right is in an unholy alliance with religion as well, I think both sides entered into the relationship thinking they were going to control the other but religion has a huge influence from it's fringes that is impossible to deal with rationally.

The power block that is formed by religion and money has an influence that is hard to escape. Religion to a great extent is driven by it's fringes, even though the majority of religious people privately disagree with the agenda religious fringes are pushing opposing them gets you a label that is difficult to deal with.

Eventually much like the civil rights issues that we were forced to deal with in the 60's, when white people who supported the rights of black people got you labeled as somehow betraying your own race, people are going to have to decide whether or not the religious fringe can continue to dictate to the rest of us by insinuations of betrayal of God.

This type of influence is quite powerful, in private most white people would admit that the racism of the time was wrong but defying it took great courage but eventually enough white people stood up to be counted and the result was the repeal of both laws and attitudes that really defiled us all.

Now the religious fringes are asserting things that most of us recognize as wrong in a very basic way but standing up to these fringes will be difficult. The assertion of if you are do not believe without question then you cannot be a Christian is very powerful even though you know it's not correct.

Only by the intimidation of the rational religious people can people like Allen Quist gain power, only by convincing a large part of the population they have to believe in crazy shit can people like Allen Quist or Michele Bachman gain influence. Fear mongering is their bread and butter, they have to instill unreasonable fear into people, this fear is what fundamentalist religions use to control people in the light of reason their stance falls apart like snowflakes in the summer sun...

I'm still hoping that Rigney (or someone) is going to provide us with some entertainingly batty, credible Left-wing politicians.

Otherwise, given the clear examples of nutty Right wingers and a lack of Left wing loonies, I'm going to say that the question which forms the title of this thread has been answered in the affirmative.

A party which fields a candidate who believes in dragons has clearly lost its collective mind.

If nobody can demonstrate that the Left is just as bad* then I think we can close the thread.

* If the two sides are as bad as each other then we might need to redefine "lost their minds" but otherwise, I think belief in dragons counts as a reasonable working definition.

Edited by John Cuthber

I'm still hoping that Rigney (or someone) is going to provide us with some entertainingly batty, credible Left-wing politicians.

Otherwise, given the clear examples of nutty Right wingers and a lack of Left wing loonies, I'm going to say that the question which forms the title of this thread has been answered in the affirmative.

A party which fields a candidate who believes in dragons has clearly lost its collective mind.

If nobody can demonstrate that the Left is just as bad* then I think we can close the thread.

* If the two sides are as bad as each other then we might need to redefine "lost their minds" but otherwise, I think belief in dragons counts as a reasonable working definition.

I honestly don't know what to tell you. When a man, Biden, standing only a heartbeat from our presidency; pulls off gaff after gaff and the only Democrat taking him seriously is the former governor of Virginia and a black man at that, little else can be said.

If thise guy from Minnesota gets into office and is as nutty as democrats make him out to be, then it's a blot on a district in Minnesota, "not on the United States."

Edited by rigney