Naming Molecules

Aziz Sergeyevich

okie dokie - molecule one, is methylbromide ( i think)

Molecule two has a methyl group on the first carbon and a carbonyl group on the 7th carbon (from top) and is an alcohol due to the -OH group attached to the seventh carbon... Not sure whether you count methyl group in counting carbons, but if so - it would be a nonanol...

Molecule Three seems to also be an alcohol with an -OH group attached to it and has a ketone group of the seventh carbon (from top) and a H3C group on sixth (dont know what a H3C group is called) As it has seven carbons i'd presume it is a heptanol..

Molecule Four is a hydrogenated alkene/tetra alcohol...

the final molecule contains an aromatic ring (a benzene ring) plus an alcohol/carbonyl group. with another alcohol group off the benzene ring...

struggling to name the others as i am unfamiliar with each functioanl group therefore struggle to put 2 and 2 together...

I know you can't do my work for me - but just soem assistance in that respect would be greatly appreciated :)

okie dokie - molecule one, is methylbromide ( i think)

Nope. That would be CH3Br.

Molecule two has a methyl group on the first carbon and a carbonyl group on the 7th carbon (from top) and is an alcohol due to the -OH group attached to the seventh carbon... Not sure whether you count methyl group in counting carbons, but if so - it would be a nonanol...

Also no. The OH croup is attached to the carbonyl, making it a carboxylic acid. Nonanol (asides from not being the name of compound 2) also does not provide a full description, since it doesn't tell you where the OH group is situated. You've also completely ignored the methyl group and the alkene in your naming.

Molecule Three seems to also be an alcohol with an -OH group attached to it and has a ketone group of the seventh carbon (from top) and a H3C group on sixth (dont know what a H3C group is called) As it has seven carbons i'd presume it is a heptanol..

Again, no. Heptanol is a straight chain alkane with one OH group on it. This compound is cyclic, has a hydroxyl group, an aldehyde (not a ketone) and an alkene.

Molecule Four is a hydrogenated alkene/tetra alcohol...

Definitely not. A tetra-ol would have 4 OH groups. Yours doesn't even have 1. It is not hydrogenated and the functional group is an alkyne, not an alkene.

the final molecule contains an aromatic ring (a benzene ring) plus an alcohol/carbonyl group. with another alcohol group off the benzene ring...

struggling to name the others as i am unfamiliar with each functioanl group therefore struggle to put 2 and 2 together...

I know you can't do my work for me - but just soem assistance in that respect would be greatly appreciated :)

The carbonyl group is a carboxylic acid (as above).

I don't mean this to be in any way insulting to your person, but you lack a very basic understanding of organic functional groups and IUPAC conventions. That is far too much work to expect members here to try and teach you. My suggestion to you is to go an read an o chem text book, or spend some time going through wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia....unctional_group and http://en.wikipedia....ganic_chemistry) and try and problem solve with those as references. Then if you are still confused about something or you need to clarify, you can bring your question here and we can help point you in the right direction. I hope that helps.

Could I please get help with the naming of these organic molecules?

Cheers.

post-77930-0-39935500-1345029020_thumb.jpg

post-77930-0-14654000-1345029022_thumb.png

post-77930-0-83675800-1345029022_thumb.jpg

post-77930-0-48245300-1345029023_thumb.jpg

post-77930-0-13547200-1345029024_thumb.gif

3-bromo-6-methylcyclohexene

5-methyloct-5-enonic acid

3-(propanal-2-yl)-6-hydroxymethylcyclohexa-1,4-diene

pent-2-yn

4-(3-hydroxyphenyl)-butyric acid

edit by mod - I have placed answers in spoiler - please try not to give direct answers to homework questions