C/c#/c++

noz92

Could somebody explain to me the computer languages C, C#, C++, and if there are any more as such, those too.

I happen to know all of these languages. :) Alright where shall I begin?

C is an older language developed by the same developers who worked on UNIX. You can find out more about C here http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/chist.html

C# is a new language developed by the (choke) Microsoft Corporation. It's part of their .Net Framework. It has similar syntax to C/C++. The language I liked but when the source was compiled it ran to slow. Slower then Java Applications that preformed the same task.

C++ is C on steroids. Even though many people will say C++ is more powerful then C this just isn't true. C++ just add's support for things like OOP and so on. You can do OOP in C but it is a bit harder. You can find more about C++ at http://www.hitmill.com/programming/cpp/cppHistory.asp

If you are wanting to learn one of these languages learn C first then C++.

Could somebody explain to me how to use the Command Prompt on Microsoft® Windows® Office XP. Or a better question, what language does it use?

You want to learn DOS. DOS stands for Disk Operating System. You issue commands to DOS. Once you learn it, you can create what is called a Batch File that can execute several commands at DOS without user interaction.

In Command Prompt type in the following.

C:\> Iexplore

and hit return. Make sure not to type in the C:\>. That is just showing you what the prompt will look like. Notice now it launches Internet Explorer. This is only an example.

If you want to learn DOS then check out http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm. Hope I helped you.

yes that site is very good!

http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm

learn the basics:

dir

cd

del

also type:

help

for a list of DOS commands

note that you can use the /? command for help on a certain command e.g

dir /?

brings up details about the dir command

note the difference between DOS (Disk Operating System) and DoS (denial of service).

DOS in windows XP is not really DOS. DOS is a OS (operating system) like windows but is a line or text based one. windows a visual OS with icons and stuff, with DOS you can do everything you can in windows, except you have to type a command instead of a click an icon.

in XP DOS (aka CMD) is a DOS emulator. it is not DOS itself because DOS is an OS and windows is your OS... however it can bring up a little emulation window of it.

DOS is still used as it can over-rule windows settings and restrictions.

• 3 weeks later...
You want to learn DOS. DOS stands for Disk Operating System. You issue commands to DOS. Once you learn it' date=' you can create what is called a Batch File that can execute several commands at DOS without user interaction.

In Command Prompt type in the following.

C:\> Iexplore

and hit return. Make sure not to type in the C:\>. That is just showing you what the prompt will look like. Notice now it launches Internet Explorer. This is only an example.

If you want to learn DOS then check out http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm. Hope I helped you.[/quote']

Well, the Iexplore comand didn't work.

Well, the Iexplore comand didn't work.

What did you type? It should work if you have Internet Explorer installed. I know it works on Windows 9x and it should work on Windows XP as well. I really don't feel like booting into Xp just to check that. :embarass:

I'm using Internet Explorer right now. It says:

'iexplorer' is not recognized as an internal or external command' date=' operable program or batch file.[/quote']

Any idea as to what that means? I think you have to put a command infront of it. When I try a ping, say to http://www.scienceforums.net/, it says it can't find the host.

the command should be
C:/windows/iexplore.exe

with c:/ being whatever HDD windows is on

That would work but it dosen't need to be like that. Try

start iexplore http://www.scienceforums.net 

I have not used the command for so long so that should work.

• 2 months later...
C++ is C on steroids. Even though many people will say C++ is more powerful then C this just isn't true. C++ just add's support for things like OOP and so on.

I am one of the people who will say that C++ is more powerful than C in many ways. OOP is a very important and powerful improvement over C. Do you disagree?

OK,

Just a little, I'll explain youl, Remember JUST A LITTLE :)

This is a classic "Hello World!" application.

noz92, your age is very young, it was a good age to learn programming.

I learned it since I was 12 years old (Now, I'm 13).

As you know C, C++ and C# are DIFFERENT (C and C++ not too different) :

For example :

C# (Courrently I use Visual C# .NET 2003)

using System;

class HelloWorld 
{
static void Main() 
{
	Console.WriteLine("Hello World!");
	Console.WriteLine("Type a word [i.e. q], then press enter to exit!");
	Console.Write("... ");
	Console.ReadLine();
}
}

C/C++ (Currently I use Dev-C++ BETA 5 R 9 (4.9.9.2) with GCC 3.4.2)

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
   int quit;

cout << "HelloWorld!" << endl;
   cout << "Type a word [i.e. q], then press enter to exit!" << endl;
   cout << "... ";
   cin >> quit;

return 0;
}

C and C++ developed by DELL LABS

and C# is a Visual Basic alike PL but syntax is like C/C++. Developed by Microsoft.

--

I'm having trouble with BASIC because every program I download has there own version of the language. Every tutorial I find is for QBasic, wich I'm not even sure is still used (Microsoft doesn't even have the download page anymore). I'd imagine I'd run into the same problem with every other programing language I try to learn.

OK' date='

Just a little, I'll explain youl, Remember JUST A LITTLE :)

This is a classic "Hello World!" application.[/quote']Since you did not cite, I am not sure if this post is in response to mine, which is directly above yours. C++ is a superset of C. Therefore, it is possible to write C code in C++, as you have done. Your C++ code is basically just C code. You did not use OO at all, such that your applications does not demonstrate the power of OO. Furthermore, in such a trivial application as you provided here, it is possible to make the claim that OO offers zero advantages over non OO languages.