Wires attached to screws in a little white plastic thing

Iota

If you are in the USA I would speculate that it's an old style telephone connection.... is it live?

I'm not sure how to test that without killing myself, but I think so.

I'm in the UK. I think you must be right, because there is this on the floor underneath it, which is for old phones, I think:

Edit: If it is live, there's a plastic lid that goes on, which I've put back on now.

post-77020-0-64618400-1344698514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Iota

Ah-hah! Dimreepr, looks like you got it. It's a junction box.

Meaning it is live, and connected to the mains. Apparently the lid on it contains sparks when/if a junction overloads, to prevent fires. I think I'll leave that on from now.

It's definatly a main Junction box, the four holes around it are where other cables connected to it at one time.

It's likely quite old as those wire colourings are no longer used. It's most likely still connected to the/a socket ring-main which should have it's own MCB on your distribution board, so as you can turn it off.

Best to get a qualified electrician to remove it/make it safe.

The other photo is a standard RF connector, the other end is the aerial on the roof. it's passive and thus, not dangerous.

p.s. with regard to the mains junction box: don't touch it.

p.p.s if you ever need to carry out electrical work, switch the entire distribution board off, i.e cut power to the whole house.

Edited by tomgwyther