Magnets

Sport

Ok this is probably a rudimentary question so here goes...

At work I have a machine that uses dime sized metal disks to plug holes that reduce/increase the amount of suction ... more holes open = more suction less holes open = less suction.

the only way to remove these disks is to use a magnet ... but then I have to remove them from the magnet and store them until I need to use them again. Its a total pain to try and pick the disks off by hand. Is there a way to to rig a switch that I can press or flip that will allow the disks to fall of by themselves but then be able to flip the switch as to be able to pick them up again. demagnetize / magnetize ?? if there is please let me know how I can accomplish this ??

Thanks

Sport

So you're using permanent magnets, but need an electromagnet strong enough to do the same job? Is this correct?

What holds the disks in place, just the suction? What if you could rig something that would push the disks off the holes, using something like a coin-changer mechanism?

mcga1.jpg

I'm not sure if this device slides the coins sideways (the way you'd need it to) or just drops a coin, but there should be something you could use that doesn't involve magnets. A small nail puller would be easier than what you're describing.

So you're using permanent magnets, but need an electromagnet strong enough to do the same job? Is this correct?

What holds the disks in place, just the suction? What if you could rig something that would push the disks off the holes, using something like a coin-changer mechanism?

mcga1.jpg

I'm not sure if this device slides the coins sideways (the way you'd need it to) or just drops a coin, but there should be something you could use that doesn't involve magnets. A small nail puller would be easier than what you're describing.

The disks are in holes about 1/2 inch deep they are loose in the holes until the suction is applied. Removing the disks cant be done by hand as they are too deep into the holes and too small to get your fingers in so the only way is to use a magnet..post-77850-0-08840000-1344656482_thumb.jpg

I think the simplest solution is to tap a hole in the center of those disks and thread a machine screw in it (solder the base to seal it for suction). Make sure the screw is long enough to give you something to grab onto with your fingers.

Alternatively, I wonder if you could use a small engine valve to do the same thing. They're probably going to run about $3-$10 each, but would be sturdier and can be used right out of the box.

China_Intake_valve_small_engine_parts20115171538119.jpg

If you want to go really cheap, an 11/16" ash dowel rod would fit the dime-sized holes and could be cut long enough to give you a grip and be light enough not to fall out by themselves. You may need to glue some kind of thin rubber or vinyl disks to them for a good seal.