Science Investigatory Project(proposal)

Bukopandan

Hi there guys, i just want to ask if it is possible to extract the ink in magazines, newspaper, or anything that have an ink on it? for recycling that ink so it can be reuse again and again :), ahmm for example:

i have a magazine here at home, and i want to print something but i don't have enough ink to print it. Can i use the magazine's ink and extract it in the printer's Carthage? or just simply extract the ink in the magazines to be able to use that ink in other purposes?

thanks in advanced :D sorry if i've posted this in the wrong section, i'm not sure though. thanks anyway :D Cheers :)

• 5 years later...

It's theoretically possible, but probably not very useful at all. Firstly you need a solvent to extract the ink. A solvent that doesn't damage the paper (cellulose). Maybe you could use acetone, toluene or DCM? Then you'd need to get rid of the solvent and concentrate it without the ink breaking down. So a vacuum extraction possibly. In the end, it will be very little ink, it wouldnt do much for you.