whats the scientific name of fruit?

Halash

fruit is a name or a noun, there is no scientific name for it.

eg. something like table salt is a chemical compound and therefore has a chemical name (sodium chloride - NaCl)

however fruit is a general term for a whole selection of edible 'things' (technical huh?) but its a grouped name, it cannot have a technical name.

its like "people" is a group of things (humans) and im jonathan, you're whoever you are.

a fruit is a type of food, each individual item under then term 'fruit' has its own more technical and specific name.

Fruits are normaly deffined by having the Seeds on the INSIDE too. on the outside it`s classed as a vegetable.

contrary to common beleif, Tomatoes or Cucumber are actualy a Fruit.

a Strawberry is a Vegetable :)

Capsaicin owns. :) If someone is interested in capsaicin values in chili peppers, Google up the Scoville scale.

Or actually, even when it's quite about midnight, I had no better things to do than even do the Googling for you lazy bums out there. :)

http://www.chemsoc.org/exemplarchem/entries/mbellringer/scoville.htm

Although, you could probably find a better explanation/comparison with a little more searching, but I'm not up for it. :)

Guest Dorri732
is plants organized the same way animals are with the chart and the phylums and stuff?

1. Kingdom

2. Phylum

3. Class

4. Order

5. Family

6. Genus

7. Species

#1 above only has two choices: Animal or Plant.

Fruits are normaly deffined by having the Seeds on the INSIDE too. on the outside it`s classed as a vegetable.

contrary to common beleif' date=' Tomatoes or Cucumber are actualy a Fruit.

a Strawberry is a Vegetable :)[/quote']

I always thought that, scientifically speaking, a fruit is anything that developes from a fertalised flower. I am pretty sure that this is the "technical" definition that one would learn in a botany class (though it has been a few years).

Moreover, i am also pretty sure that scientifically speaking there is no such thing as a "vegetable." It is just a catagory defined by the nutritionists of the world. A strawberry would be a result of a fertalized flower and would be considered a fruit in a botany class (i belive).

Basically, you can name anything that is a plant you eat, and there will be some name for it, other than vegetable.

For instance,

potatoe = tuber

beans = legume

ginger = rhizome

celery = stalk

carot = root

letuce = leaf

ect.

at least that is what i remember :D

moving on....

1. Kingdom

2. Phylum

3. Class

4. Order

5. Family

6. Genus

7. Species

not true' date=' there are [b']five[/b] choices

a) monera

b) protista

c) Fungi

d) plant

e) animal

last three are pretty self explanitory, i think. THe first one is unicellular organisms with no nucleus

the second is unicellular (mainly -- some of them form collonies ie. algea) organisms wich have a nucleous.

just wanted to clear that up :D

I always thought that, scientifically speaking, a fruit is anything that developes from a fertalised flower. I am pretty sure that this is the "technical" definition that one would learn in a botany class (though it has been a few years).

No, a fruit is a mature and ripened ovary. This means that Green Beans are technically a fruit, since the pod is a ripened ovary. And the term "Fruit" is the technical term used.

Moreover, i am also pretty sure that scientifically speaking there is no such thing as a "vegetable." It is just a catagory defined by the nutritionists of the world. A strawberry would be a result of a fertalized flower and would be considered a fruit in a botany class (i belive).

The red fleshy part of the strawberry is not a ripened ovary, but is instead a specialized stem I believe. The fruit of the strawberry are the individual "seeds."

not true, there are five choices

a) monera

b) protista

c) Fungi

d) plant

e) animal

Even thats incorrect, most accepted models have a division higher than Kingdom: Domain. Organisms are sepperated into 2 or more domains and so on. I cant remember the exact details.

Here are the three domains and their major subordinate groupings:

Archea - Extreme halophiles, Methanogens, Hyperthermophiles

Bacteria – Green non-sulfur, Gram-positive, Purple, Cyanobacteria, Flavobacteria, Thermotoga, Aquifex

Eucaryia – Animals, Cilates, Fungi, Plants, Flagellates, Microsporidia

[source: Rare Earth, ISBN 0-387-95289-6 page 88, figure 5-1]

Even thats incorrect' date=' most accepted models have a division higher than Kingdom: Domain. Organisms are sepperated into 2 or more domains and so on. I cant remember the exact details.

[/quote']

my point was simply that there are five kingdoms. Was that an incorrect statement?

As for the rest, thanks for the clarification. I really enjoyed botony when i took it, but i don't really use it at all, and so it kinda has to go by the wayside. Sigh, i guess that is just part of life :)

my point was simply that there are five kingdoms. Was that an incorrect statement?

Not really incorrect, just outdated. The 5-kingdom model has been replaced by the model posted by Ophiolite.

isn`t there a sub catagory of `Genus` in the plant domain too?

The method of classification for plants is the same as anyother type of organism, so yes.

• 5 months later...

I know that kingdoms have been outdated by domains, but most scientists use(d) six kingdoms. Where there are still protists, fungi, plants, and animals but monerans were split into archaebacteria and eubacteria. So the six kingdoms would be 1. Archaebacteria

2. Eubacteria

3. Protists

4. Fungus

5. Plants

6. Animals

I'd have to agree with Vending dude. That's what I learned in Ap Bio.

The Body that contains the seeds that grows from a flowering plant.

Strawberries are too fruits, they "contain" seeds! :D

No, a fruit is a mature and ripened ovary. This means that Green Beans are technically a fruit, since the pod is a ripened ovary. And the term "Fruit" is the technical term used.

The mature ripened ovary of a flowering plant I beleive.

Strawberries are too fruits' date=' they "contain" seeds! :D

[/quote']

I read somewhere that the red "berry" part of the strawberry is actually a dramatically modified type of stem, with the many seeds on the surface, so that any hungry herbivore is obliged to consume them along with the flesh, instead of hiding the seeds inside a fleshy covering like true fruits.

1. Kingdom

2. Phylum

3. Class

4. Order

5. Family

6. Genus

7. Species

This is incorrect... you can pick Monera, Plantae, Animalea, Protista, and Fungae.

And about the domains vs. kingdoms... it is still under debate. There are several different taxonomic groupings.

Also, fruit are scientifically defined as what develops from the ovary surrounding the fertilized ovum. Basically, the ovum develops into the seed and the ovary develops into the fruit.

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of Phyla, plants tend to be classed under "Divisions." Otherwise, they are the same as an animal.

The scientific name of a plant would be the same as the plant that it grew from, since it's just, yanno, a ripened ovary. >>' I don't think there's any fancy scientific name for a fruit itself, however.