Obama's, "Oops! Thats not what I meant to say."

rigney

!

Moderator Note

Norbert,
Your accusation that rigney dislikes Obama for racial reasons is based on nothing. rigney has said no such thing. We will not tolerate these kind of accusations on our forum.

rigney,
Don't be tempted to respond to this. Norbert acted against the rules and this has been dealt with. This bit of your political argument stops here and now.

idk I kind of agree it is a big + that Obama has experienced being in the lower income brackets and it is easy to think that will make him more grounded and in touch with the average American. What would you consider a lower income bracket?

Born and raised in Honalulu by doting grandparents, and your mom and dad full time gollege students must have been tough. I do remember them living in an apartment for some months and that must have been terrible. I tried making it clear that I am not a racist and do not hate Obama any more than I disliked Clinton. But Clinton did do a pretty good job running our country. Like me, many Americans have not seen the beauty and wisdom of Obama's term in office and hopefully will rectify the situationt come November. And living on the shallow side of things? Try living in a coal mining town your first twenty and buying your first home at the age of 32, and that at $14,000.00. I believe you get my picture. And quote mining? With politics the way they are today, it's hard enough to speak the absolute truth without having it twisted to offend someone.

I think Norbert was just indulging in some hyperbole.

after all it does seem that rigney wants to find a reason to not like obama not to mention quote mining is a very common pet peeve.

Edited by rigney

Once again, all fluff and no substance in your criticism, rigney. Various intonations of 'He's doing a bad job' isn't enough for a discussion.

Are opinions being banned now? At the moment I'm almost afraid of making a critiizm without absolute facts. You seem to be just around the corner waiting for me to screw up. As I've related before, if you would rather I retire from this forum, just say the word and I'm gone with no harm done. I really don't see why my proclivity should cause you pain. Some on here see it as shooting fish in a barrell. Again, you just say the word and I'm out of here. Otherwise lighten up if you will. Edited by rigney

Are opinions being banned now? At the moment I'm almost afraid of making a criticism without absolute facts. You seem to be just around the corner waiting for me to screw up. As I've related before, if you would rather I retire from this forum, just say the word and I'm gone with no harm done. I really don't see why my proclivity should cause you pain. Some on here see it as shooting fish in a barrel. Again, you just say the word and I'm out of here. Otherwise lighten up if you will.

I believe he was saying that a general statement of belief is not conductive to a conversation.

We can't really comment with anything other than agreement or disagreement as their is no substance behind it to refute.

What exactly do you think Obama has done poorly and why?

Then go after him for quote mining. I don't see how wanting to find a reason to not like Obama suggests Rigney is a racist. That goes well beyond hyperbole and is a presonal attack. Ad hominem attacks are reminiscent of the worst of the right wing. It is no better coming from the left.

my point wasn't that Norbert's point was valid, but understandable under the circumstances. (ie he was likely upset and felt it was okay to make it personal)

it is like seeing a simple homophone error. it IS bad form but also an error you know is probably rather common. (the fallacy that anyone who doesn't like the president (even blindly not that I am saying rigney does) is motivated by race is almost certainly widespread)

Edited by dragonstar57

Are opinions being banned now? At the moment I'm almost afraid of making a critiizm without absolute facts. You seem to be just around the corner waiting for me to screw up. As I've related before, if you would rather I retire from this forum, just say the word and I'm gone with no harm done. I really don't see why my proclivity should cause you pain. Some on here see it as shooting fish in a barrell. Again, you just say the word and I'm out of here. Otherwise lighten up if you will.

Your decision is your own. As a participant I'm not going to tell anyone not to post here. If I were acting as a moderator, I would point out the rule against soapboxing. There's a reason for that rule: this is a discussion forum. I'm trying to engage you in a discussion (as are others), and you're throwing up a stone wall or dodging whenever you are asked for details of your dissatisfaction. If all you want to do is stand on the porch and shake your fist at the system, maybe you should get a tumblr.

I believe he was saying that a general statement of belief is not conductive to a conversation.

We can't really comment with anything other than agreement or disagreement as their is no substance behind it to refute.

What exactly do you think Obama has done poorly and why?

To make a long story short, the new medical bill pushed through congress during Democrat's holding the floor. There were no real discussions, only arguements. Then to hear Pelosi in her own words say: Well, if you want to know what's in it, you'll have to read it. That statement alone will likely cost Obama reelection. His apologies to foreign nations even before he was presiident, galded hell out of me. Genuflecting to the Saudi leader infuriated me. Trying to browbeat Romney, cajoling him into making a mistake is politics; but a dirty spin of expressing them. I've probably said too much already and will probably need validation for each of my statements. If civil conversation can't be conducted on a local level without name, rank, date of birth and sperm count being questioned, don't watch TV at all. Edited by rigney

I've probably said too much already and will probably need validation for each of my statements.

I think what disheartens me most is that you don't bother with said validation before you let these types of issues get your blood pressure up and your panties in a twist. You're pure unthinking response on these issues. You're like a tortured prisoner whose nerves are raw and who is acting solely on emotion and reptilian brain. You are swallowing whatever ridiculous bullshit on a spoon they feed you, and then doing exactly what they want... Expressing blind unfocused rage that is immune from logic, reason, and rationality. I find that ignorant and childish and annoying, rigney. I'm not talking about taking away your freedom. I'm talking about taking away your ignorance and your ability to be manipulated so easily and so consistently. It just surprises me that not even you want to validate your opinions for yourself and that you seem willing to be led forward like a zombie by unfounded ignorant invective. Also, I have a bridge I want to sell you. It's a real steal.

I think what disheartens me most is that you don't bother with said validation before you let these types of issues get your blood pressure up and your panties in a twist. You're pure unthinking response on these issues. You're like a tortured prisoner whose nerves are raw and who is acting solely on emotion and reptilian brain. You are swallowing whatever ridiculous bullshit on a spoon they feed you, and then doing exactly what they want... Expressing blind unfocused rage that is immune from logic, reason, and rationality. I find that ignorant and childish and annoying, rigney. I'm not talking about taking away your freedom. I'm talking about taking away your ignorance and your ability to be manipulated so easily and so consistently. It just surprises me that not even you want to validate your opinions for yourself and that you seem willing to be led forward like a zombie by unfounded ignorant invective. Also, I have a bridge I want to sell you. It's a real steal.

120 over 70 friend and only a good looking woman can raise it, or get my shorts in a twist. But then, perhaps you are right and I am being lead around by the nose, but if so please don't wake me 'til after November elections.

My apologies, Rigney, for the loathsome accusation. You have to understand ,though, that in a world so thick with bias it is really easy to get FED UP and even a little paranoid. My gf is 1/2 black and I just get so fed up with racism... there was no evidence of any of that existing in rigney's post but the language and tone were similar to something that would have a racial basis... I am sorry.

You have to give credit where it's due. Obama became president in historically one of the most racist, if not THE most racist country in the world. How could you deny such a historic figure another 4 years? Even if he wasn't that great, which he IS, it would still be inappropriate to just oust him in the middle of his history-making incumbency. Anyway, I'm going off topic.

My apologies to rigney and I hope we can move on.

Edited by Norbert

To make a long story short, the new medical bill pushed through congress during Democrat's holding the floor. There were no real discussions, only arguements. Then to hear Pelosi in her own words say: Well, if you want to know what's in it, you'll have to read it. That statement alone will likely cost Obama reelection.

Perhaps this was Pelosi's attempt to avoid the inevitable quote mining we've come to expect from the GOP. If you really stop to think about it, it's a very proper, logical response. Was she really supposed to reduce a huge document down to a digestable sound byte that may have been misleading in it's simplicity?

His apologies to foreign nations even before he was presiident, galded hell out of me.

After the Bush administration, I think we owed the whole world some apologies. Bush's "power means never having to say you're sorry" attitude was extremely undiplomatic. There's a big difference between seeming strong and being barbaric.

Genuflecting to the Saudi leader infuriated me.

When in Rome...

Do you think the same about the traditional Japanese bow? Not every culture shakes hands, and diplomats learn very quickly not to offend. Do you think these cultural greetings are akin to kneeling before a superior? I assure you, they aren't.

Both Bush presidents used to kiss the Saudis. Why doesn't that bother you?

Bush-kissing-Saudi-small.gif

Trying to browbeat Romney, cajoling him into making a mistake is politics; but a dirty spin of expressing them.

Sorry, but this one sounds like a partisan complaint. If the guy you like did the same thing, he'd be "outsmarting" the guy you hate. But with Obama, you call it "browbeating".

I don't want to take things off-topic for all these issues, but I do think it's important to show you how many other perspectives there are to these issues. One man's "genuflecting" is another man's greeting.

My apologies, Rigney, for the loathsome accusation. You have to understand ,though, that in a world so thick with bias it is really easy to get FED UP and even a little paranoid. My gf is 1/2 black and I just get so fed up with racism... there was no evidence of any of that existing in rigney's post but the language and tone were similar to something that would have a racial basis... I am sorry.

You have to give credit where it's due. Obama became president in historically one of the most racist, if not THE most racist country in the world. How could you deny such a historic figure another 4 years? Even if he wasn't that great, which he IS, it would still be inappropriate to just oust him in the middle of his history-making incumbency. Anyway, I'm going off topic.

My apologies to rigney and I hope we can move on.

No need for apologies. If you can't express your feelings than it's a pretty shallow plate we all eat from. I have two good friends who have been invoved with other than caucasions for years. Actually one of them for many years. Neither is married because of circumstances I wouldn't divulge but which I think rediculous. But that is their business, not mine. We don't spend a lot of time together since my wife passed, but they are still my friends. My Dad near beat the hide off me when I was maybe 10 or 12 for calling a friend of mine the N word. In a small coal mining town you don't pick friends, you just have friends and Robinson was one of mine. My Dad hated the word even though it was bandied about by both Blacks and Whites. He was president of the local UMWA union and I have eaten several good meal at the Robinson home. It was sort of a mutual thing. None of us were rich, so sharing was a common thing. The ass whipping I took for the incident belonge to me exclusively. I've tried making my views clear about this political mish mash, but unfortunately I'm not a very good statistitian or a (?) of the spoken word.

Perhaps this was Pelosi's attempt to avoid the inevitable quote mining we've come to expect from the GOP. If you really stop to think about it, it's a very proper, logical response. Was she really supposed to reduce a huge document down to a digestable sound byte that may have been misleading in it's simplicity?

No! It was the smug and condensending way she did it.

After the Bush administration, I think we owed the whole world some apologies. Bush's "power means never having to say you're sorry" attitude was extremely undiplomatic. There's a big difference between seeming strong and being barbaric.

If that is your philosophy, then please go and apoligise to the world. That is a diplomats responsibility, not the Presidents unless done in private. Which I'm sure has been done many times from both quarters.

When in Rome...

Do you think the same about the traditional Japanese bow? Not every culture shakes hands, and diplomats learn very quickly not to offend. Do you think these cultural greetings are akin to kneeling before a superior? I assure you, they aren't.

Diplomats, yes! Not our president.

Both Bush presidents used to kiss the Saudis. Why doesn't that bother you?

Because that is a Saudi custom that we acknowledge.

Bush-kissing-Saudi-small.gif

Sorry, but this one sounds like a partisan complaint. If the guy you like did the same thing, he'd be "outsmarting" the guy you hate. But with Obama, you call it "browbeating".

If Romney uses the same ploy I'll be just as pissed.

I don't want to take things off-topic for all these issues, but I do think it's important to show you how many other perspectives there are to these issues. One man's "genuflecting" is another man's greeting.

Personally, I wouldn't even bow to the Pope.
Not to me friend.

Your decision is your own. As a participant I'm not going to tell anyone not to post here. If I were acting as a moderator, I would point out the rule against soapboxing. There's a reason for that rule: this is a discussion forum. I'm trying to engage you in a discussion (as are others), and you're throwing up a stone wall or dodging whenever you are asked for details of your dissatisfaction. If all you want to do is stand on the porch and shake your fist at the system, maybe you should get a tumblr.

Perhaps a tumblr migh be the appropriate place for some of the sweet and genteel Wall street take over crowd?

Perhaps the: Take over Wall street crowd might be more inclined?

http://boingboing.net/2011/10/15/occupy-wall-street-protesters.html

Perhaps this Occupy Wall Street group might wish to participate in the tumblr?

Edited by rigney

As for the occupy wall street people they are angry about the same thing the tea party is, the bail outs and the lack of job creation.

But then, perhaps you are right and I am being lead around by the nose, but if so please don't wake me 'til after November elections.

translation: maybe I'm wrong but if so I don't want to know about it.

This repeated sentiment would be enough for a mod to close this thread and have no one question the decision.

I don't know how to respond to this without an ad hominem attack.

What you said here is the most contemptible thing I have seen in a while.

Edited by dragonstar57

As for the occupy wall street people they are angry about the same thing the tea party is, the bail outs and the lack of job creation.

This repeated sentiment would be enough for a mod to close this thread and have no one question the decision.

Then you probably haven't been watching any of the Occupy Wall Street zanies? Anyway, you left out despicable.

What repeated sentiment? You might also take a look at this. It's the T Party's view on things, not mine, and I see no connection with it and the street nuts.

http://blog.irvingwb.com/blog/2010/05/why-are-tea-party-supporters-so-angry.html

Edited by rigney

120 over 70 friend and only a good looking woman can raise it, or get my shorts in a twist. But then, perhaps you are right and I am being lead around by the nose, but if so please don't wake me 'til after November elections.

rigney, your stance would 't bother me, possibly any of us, if your stance was based in any way on anything but emotional responses to what is basically propaganda...

I honestly think you are too smart to be acting this way...

What repeated sentiment?

the one where you say

But then, perhaps you are right and I am being lead around by the nose, but if so please don't wake me 'til after November elections.

to me this means "I don't care if I am being deceived until I have already acted on those deceptions"

and is pretty stupid.

Please tell me that I am somehow misinterpreting these comments and that you have not truly been saying that you do not really care what the truth is ultimately.

What would you think if I said "maybe I am a pawn in a socialist scheme to take over America but if so don't tell me until the sickle and hammer are flying above the capital building"

or just something tame (because I don't intend to say that a gop candidate would be that bad) like "global warming may not be real and I might be buying into the lies but don't tell me until the entire country runs on solar power"

Edited by dragonstar57

Perhaps you're right and my mechanic is overcharging me, but if so please don't tell me by how much until I've already paid him.

Perhaps you're right and that is arsenic in my potato salad, but if so please don't stop me until I've eaten it.

That may be your inturprutation but you know that isn't what i said.

This is not Nazi Germany of the 30s and 40s to close it on those grounds alone. I made a statement that you decided to change the meaning of. And whether you decide to respond or not is you perogative.

rigney, your stance would 't bother me, possibly any of us, if your stance was based in any way on anything but emotional responses to what is basically propaganda...

I honestly think you are too smart to be acting this way...

If you are telling me that all I am listening to is propaganda, you're right Moon, I have read so much garbage from both sides now that I am almost impervious to slurs or the misquoting of my statemets. But at the moment, unless someone can give me facts other than what everyone seems to know is correct with the exception of me and my friends, I'm simply stuck in the mud until this election is over. I just can't and won't change my convictions at this point. And as Phi fo All sort of put it, arsenic in my potato salad? Or perhaps hemlock in my chip dip. Does it really matter? Take your pick! Edited by rigney