Obama's, "Oops! Thats not what I meant to say."

rigney

Did anyone actually listen to Obamas latest explanation of "You didn't build that? Are we listening to such bull shit and expected to believe it? If one of us made such a dumb assed statement on this forum, someone would have us by the balls big time. If I may, let me reiterate, "Bull Shit"

Edited by rigney

You know, rigney, I really don't get your problem with this.

If he meant that everyone who builds a business gets help from the American system that taxpayers help to fund, it's a true and very presidential thing to say. But you (and others for whom there is political capital to be gained) are choosing to misinterpret him purposely as saying people who built their businesses didn't really build them.

One's very presidential and true, the other's very stupid and false. Do you honestly think a professional politician who got elected President of the United States by a solid majority meant the stupid, obviously false interpretation?

I think it's more likely he thinks that wealth and success don't necessarily stem from hard work and being smart, because let's face it, a lot of smart and hard working Americans don't always succeed. It's more than smart and hard, it's more than luck. It's this fantastic system that's been added to and refined and improved ever since the country started. And no one person built THAT.

Actually listening to the whole clip I was under the impression that he was referring to the infrastructure: "

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life — Somebody invested in roads and bridges.

If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that."

Otherwise the sentence before would be kind of odd. At least to me it looks more like a grammatical error (i.e. he should have said "you did not build those"). It is also revealing that in the attack posts the sentence was conveniently cut out...

Actually listening to the whole clip I was under the impression that he was referring to the infrastructure: "

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life — Somebody invested in roads and bridges.

If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that."

Otherwise the sentence before would be kind of odd. At least to me it looks more like a grammatical error (i.e. he should have said "you did not build those"). It is also revealing that in the attack posts the sentence was conveniently cut out...

Shucks! I failed to pass the fifth grade because my tonsils kept me from going to school every day. Had them removed and did OK the following year. Should I have blamed my teacher? Let me reiterate over and over again: "Bull Squat' Edited by rigney

Did anyone actually listen to Obamas latest explanation of "You didn't build that? Are we listening to such bull shit and expected to believe it? If one of us made such a dumb assed statement on this forum, someone would have us by the balls big time. If I may, let me reiterate, "Bull Shit"

Most of us wouldn't say "Bull Shit". At worst, we'd point out the grammatical error that it should have been "you didn't build them". Unless we were to go out of our way to misinterpret the video.

Romney said much the same thing in regard to Olympic athletes, which I pointed out in the other thread, but also in regard to the same frikkin' topic as Obama! The clips are at the end (around 5:50) of the video in the link.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-jon-stewart-romney-obama-you-didnt-build-that-20120726,0,2347436.story

As Jon Stewart points out, your position is just willful, out-of-context misunderstanding. As they say, haters gonna hate.

You know, rigney, I really don't get your problem with this.

If he meant that everyone who builds a business gets help from the American system that taxpayers help to fund, it's a true and very presidential thing to say. But you (and others for whom there is political capital to be gained) are choosing to misinterpret him purposely as saying people who built their businesses didn't really build them.

One's very presidential and true, the other's very stupid and false. Do you honestly think a professional politician who got elected President of the United States by a solid majority meant the stupid, obviously false interpretation?

I think it's more likely he thinks that wealth and success don't necessarily stem from hard work and being smart, because let's face it, a lot of smart and hard working Americans don't always succeed. It's more than smart and hard, it's more than luck. It's this fantastic system that's been added to and refined and improved ever since the country started. And no one person built THAT.

Presidential? No! You don't have a problem, it's the rest of us trying to understand a frail excuse and reason why a liberal president can screw up at all. Should middle of the roaders genuflect and be grateful that you found such a glaring mistake in our assumption? Edited by rigney

Quote mining works. Evidence: Your post. You fell for Republican quote mining hook, line, and sinker. Quote mining is a favorite ploy by campaigners of all political ilk. For example, people in battle ground states almost certainly will see Democratic ads starring Mitt Romney saying he likes firing people. That, too, is quoting out of context. Regarding Obama's statement, you're right, it's bull. Only not the way you think.

Quote mining works. Evidence: Your post. You fell for Republican quote mining hook, line, and sinker. Quote mining is a favorite ploy by campaigners of all political ilk. For example, people in battle ground states almost certainly will see Democratic ads starring Mitt Romney saying he likes firing people. That, too, is quoting out of context. Regarding Obama's statement, you're right, it's bull. Only not the way you think.

Listen very closely to this!

Shucks! I failed to pass the fifth grade because my tonsils kept me from going to school every day. Had them removed and did OK the following year. Should I have blamed my teacher? Let me reiterate over and over again: "Bull Squat'

...what does this have to do with the post you quoted?

Rigney, what reason do you have to believe that Obama was saying anything other than what we are saying he was saying?

=Uncool-

Edited by uncool

...what does this have to do with the post you quoted?

Rigney, what reason do you have to believe that Obama was saying anything other than what we are saying he was saying?

=Uncool-

Absolutrly nothing. nothing, nothing ,nothing. But am I repeating myself? No! Nothing but; "AMERICANISM". Maybe you guys should bring him back in 2016. Until then, the Lad needs some serious training. Edited by rigney

Again, what are you responding to in my post? Your post seems to have literally nothing to do with what I asked you.

1) Do you think that Obama was referring to infrastructure when he said "you didn't build that"? Yes or no first - then why.

2) Do you think that what we say Obama said - that owners of businesses did not build the infrastructure (roads and bridges) - is "bull squat"? Yes or no first - then why.

3) Do you think that what we say Obama's point was - that since business owners used infrastructure and did not get to where they are on their own, they should contribute back to society for their use of the infrastructure - is "bull squat"? Yes or no?

4) Do you think that Obama's point was what I just said we said it was? Yes or no first, then why.

=Uncool-

Again, what are you responding to in my post? Your post seems to have literally nothing to do with what I asked you.

1) Do you think that Obama was referring to infrastructure when he said "you didn't build that"? Yes or no first - then why.

2) Do you think that what we say Obama said - that owners of businesses did not build the infrastructure (roads and bridges) - is "bull squat"? Yes or no first - then why.

3) Do you think that what we say Obama's point was - that since business owners used infrastructure and did not get to where they are on their own, they should contribute back to society for their use of the infrastructure - is "bull squat"? Yes or no?

4) Do you think that Obama's point was what I just said we said it was? Yes or no first, then why.

=Uncool-

Shhhh! You're messing up my dream time.

And this is why the US is having such trouble these days. Conversations like these are not at all uncommon throughout the populace, and "both sides" are not equally worthy of blame.

Shhhh! You're messing up my dream time.

Feel free to respond whenever you want. Just please make sure to respond before trying to dump on Obama's "you didn't build that" quote again. I asked the questions because your posts have been extremely ambiguous as to what you're calling bullshit, and every attempt to elicit what precisely you are calling bullshit has been met with evasion.

=Uncool-

Presidential? No! You don't have a problem, it's the rest of us trying to understand a frail excuse and reason why a liberal president can screw up at all. Should middle of the roaders genuflect and be grateful that you found such a glaring mistake in our assumption?

No! You don't have a problem, it's the rest of us trying to understand a frail excuse and reason why a slightly right of middle poster can screw up at all.

And this is why the US is having such trouble these days. Conversations like these are not at all uncommon throughout the populace, and "both sides" are not equally worthy of blame.

A diet of sound bytes and out-of-context quotes doesn't prepare you to explain your stance when the tough questions start. It's like climbing Everest with only a handful of popcorn to keep your strength up.

I have completely lost the plot by now.

It's like most soap operas; just tune in next week or next month and they'll still be rehashing it.

rigney please learn how to use an apostrophe.

when you have me correcting your grammar you have failed pretty epically.

oh and

Presidential? No! You don't have a problem, it's the rest of us trying to understand a frail excuse and reason why a liberal president can screw up at all. Should middle of the roaders genuflect and be grateful that you found such a glaring mistake in our assumption?

um...what exactly does this mean?

that probably sounded good in your head but you are not at all clear here. if you could format your posts using this format (format below) in the future it would be appreciated.

I think (insert subject) is ( insert thesis) because (insert logically reasoned argument)

see isn't that much better, now we know what your stance actually is rather than having to guess :)

try taking more time on your posts and reread asking yourself "am I being as clear as I can be?"

ps. mod could you fix Obamas to Obama's ik I'm not the op but I feel like this thread wont be taken seriously with such a painfully obvious grammatical error in the name.

reading it is slightly painful :o

Edited by dragonstar57

Absolutrly nothing. nothing, nothing ,nothing. But am I repeating myself? No! Nothing but; "AMERICANISM". Maybe you guys should bring him back in 2016. Until then, the Lad needs some serious training.

Why is it you never actually explain what the shortcomings are, or what training is needed? Whenever someone asks, you change the subject. I think everybody gets that you don't like Obama. And I think it's clear that you're just manufacturing excuses to try and justify that dislike.

Ironic that you post a patriotic video about America standing up and defending, when you've done just the opposite. Whenever challenged, you've dodged and changed the subject.

Why is it you never actually explain what the shortcomings are, or what training is needed? Whenever someone asks, you change the subject. I think everybody gets that you don't like Obama. And I think it's clear that you're just manufacturing excuses to try and justify that dislike.

Ironic that you post a patriotic video about America standing up and defending, when you've done just the opposite. Whenever challenged, you've dodged and changed the subject.

Maybe after viewing, listening to and trying to understand the videos I posted, I should have said:In my opinion? Edited by rigney

Maybe after viewing, listening to and trying to understand the videos I posted, I should have said:In my opinion?

Maybe you should have said how that video relates to the topic of the thread.

I am leaning toward Obama right now. If you are implying that my thinking of voting for Obama is somehow unpatriotic, I take extreme umbrage at your implication. I've worked on making the scariest weapons in the arsenal of the United States even scarier, and I proudly have two sons in the active military. Liberals and middle of the roaders (you, sir, are no middle of the roader) can be and are patriotic. We just aren't wacked about it.

Edited by D H

=Uncool-

Tell me, why should I have to verify a statement voiced by our president that you and I both witnessed and heard. Because of the context of the first tape he got ripped. On the second he tries reexplaining himself by doing a little soft shoe shuffle using a different verbiage as an explination.

Maybe you should have said how that video relates to the topic of the thread.

I am leaning toward Obama right now. If you are implying that my thinking of voting for Obama is somehow unpatriotic, I take extreme umbrage at your implication. I've worked on making the scariest weapons in the arsenal of the United States even scarier, and I proudly have two sons in the active military. Liberals and middle of the roaders (you, sir, are no middle of the roader) can be and are patriotic. We just aren't wacked about it.

But that video was the topic. As for your political freedom, that's something we all thankfully share. Vote your conscience and what you honestly feel is right. And yes, I do lean to the right at the prsent. But if Romney should win and screw things up as I believe this president has done, I will also know how to get off that horse too. My regards to your sons. Semper Fi! Edited by rigney

Tell me, why should I have to verify a statement voiced by our president that you and I both witnessed and heard.

Oh come on. What Obama said is not what that mined quote implies he said. Any time you see politicians making a brief quote of something said by their opponents, your first impression should be that that quote was almost inevitably out of context, that what the opponent said was something very different than that out-of-context quote implies. Unfortunately, too many dumb members of the electorate fall for the quote mining; that's why politicians of all ilk use this tactic. Are you one of those dumb members of the electorate, or are you smarter than that?

But that video was the topic.

To quote you, Bull Squat.

As for your political freedom, that's something we all thankfully share.

Much more thanks are owed to liberals than conservatives. The groups that work hardest to protect my right to freedom of speech, my right to vote, my right to a fair trial: Liberals. The groups that work hardest to constrain speech, constrain people's right to vote, constrain trials: Far right conservatives. Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it.

Tell me, why should I have to verify a statement voiced by our president that you and I both witnessed and heard. Because of the context of the first tape he got ripped. On the second he tries reexplaining himself by doing a little soft shoe shuffle using a different verbiage as an explination.

First, you never provided a link to the second statement that bothered you enough to cry "Bullshit!" That's part of why everyone has been asking for clarification on what's bothering you about it.

Second, you've been given perfectly logical explanations for why the President said what he said, yet you still persist on a narrow interpretation that is the only one that paints him in a bad light, so it seems very deliberate and frankly obtuse. When questioned about it, you give a better song and dance than George Murphy. And oddly enough, you accuse the President of doing the old soft shoe, which seems quite hypocritical.

But that video was the topic.

WHAT?! Are you kidding? Great song about America, but it had absolutely squat to do with what you're accusing the President of.

Feel free to start over and provide some insight on exactly what you mean by this OP. Tie your hands down so they don't start waving.