If you could be God for a while what would your first acts be?

Alan McDougall

I would simply give humans all the deepest secrets of physics, sit back and watch what fascinating contraptions they build.

My holy book would read more like a textbook.

The Book of Mississippichem 13:7: thou shalt conserve thy energy, and it shall not be created nor destroyed lest I smite thee...and the inner product shall be unto the integral as the integral is unto the inner product; and the people rejoiced as their polynomials had been normed in his holy metric.

Edited by mississippichem

My holy book would read more like a textbook.

The Book of Mississippichem 13:7: thou shalt conserve thy energy, and it shall not be created nor destroyed lest I smite thee...and the inner product shall be unto the integral as the integral is unto the inner product; and the people rejoiced as their polynomials had been normed in his holy metric.

I think someone may have already beaten you to the punch on this. Your post reminded me of a book I read some years ago while in college:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bible-According-Einstein-Scientific/dp/0965517691

Notreally he has supposedly given us a free will...

So you are saying Severian's post did not imply god is a dictator?

Precisely. What some people suppose about their imagined god(s) has zero to do with what Severian implied by his post. I found the latter interesting given the belief in god(s) in favor of which Severian has repeatedly argued in the past.

Now that I think about it, however, I seem to recall Severian putting me on ignore when he proved incapable of adequately addressing the criticisms I leveled at his belief... when I failed to show any unearned deference or respect to those beliefs... and so he chose instead to pretend my criticisms didn't exist by placing me on ignore.

Very nice you would make a really great God!!

(...)

Thank you.

If you look at it from some other POV, one could say that human beings are little gods, since they constantly struggle to correct the natural misfunctions:

_knowledge is not transmitable through genes so humans created books & schools.

_medicine allows surgery and motherhood without pain.

_men build shelters & homes to protect from rain & wind

_medicine has made huge improvements against diseases of all sort

_even elderness is now under the scope of science

_humans try to eliminate deserts and create gardens where he installs

_the other points are under scope.

Edited by michel123456

• 2 weeks later...

If I changed places with God, the first thing I would do is cease to exist.

On the other hand, He (in spite of never having existed before) would become me.

As "Me" I guess he (formerly (He) would carry on doing just the same as I would do if I carried on being me.

Absolutely no observable change would take place.

To cut a long story short, it wouldn't matter.

Could you please clarify it a little bit for me? I don't understand anything at all from it to be honest!

If god is truly omnipotent, then, everything he/she does couldn’t be improved. However, there are so many instances where this so called omnipotence is called into question the profundity of this answer is in serious doubt.

Could you please clarify it a little bit for me? I don't understand anything at all from it to be honest!

If I were to become you, I'd immediately do all of the things that you'll do next. If I did anything else, I wouldn't really be you: I'd be a lot like you, perhaps, but still not you.

If god is truly omnipotent, then, everything he/she does couldnt be improved.

Certainly what God does cannot be improved upon, but that's because of his impeccability, not his omnipotence.

However, there are so many instances where this so called omnipotence is called into question the profundity of this answer is in serious doubt.

Non sequitur.

Not that I agree that it was a profound answer (I don't).

Edited by chilehed

Why? Which god? Don't act like man's only invented one of them.

I think his meaning was that "which god" isn't important as this question is about what you would do with godly powers.

I would destroy apple and give all of there patents to Microsoft.

then I would make all people instantly forget there and replace it with English (all these languages make everything a little too complicated)

then I would remove the barriers (ethnic political religious etc) between nations either by making them get along or by somehow invalidating them.

then the nations of earth would get along far better.

I would transform a large amount of useless rock into a kind if radioactive element which could produce vast quantities of power without creating a long lasting radioactive waste (pretty sure this breaks some law of physics but I gots da omnipotence so might as well use it :rolleyes:

then I create a way for cold fusion to be possible.

add negative energy and negative mass to the universe if they don't exist already.

curse everyone who works at the history channel or for a show on the history channel (H2 as well) so whenever they speak people only hear obnoxious flatulence like noises (in other words it would be about the same.)

I would make Pluto become habitable for dogs named Pluto.

I would name a planet Micky

I would cause an intergalactic war

I would force all global warming deniers to live at one of the poles (or Greenland) for 5 years

I would

write

have someone else write

dictate to a number of people over 6,000 years

a obviously BS book and see how many people are stupid enough to hold that book up and claim it to be truth.

Edited by dragonstar57

• 5 weeks later...