Gorillas dismantle poacher's traps

CharonY

Ann interesting article describing how young gorillas learned to spot and dismantle traps. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/07/120719-young-gorillas-juvenile-traps-snares-rwanda-science-fossey/?source=hp_dl2_news_smart_gorillas20120720

Just days after a poacher's snare had killed one of their own, two young mountain gorillas worked together Tuesday to find and destroy traps in their Rwandan forest home, according to conservationists on the scene.

On Tuesday tracker John Ndayambaje spotted a trap very close to the Kuryama gorilla clan. He moved in to deactivate the snare, but a silverback named Vubu grunted, cautioning Ndayambaje to stay away, Vecellio said.Suddenly two juveniles—Rwema, a male; and Dukore, a female; both about four years old—ran toward the trap.

As Ndayambaje and a few tourists watched, Rwema jumped on the bent tree branch and broke it, while Dukore freed the noose.

The pair then spied another snare nearby—one the tracker himself had missed—and raced for it. Joined by a third gorilla, a teenager named Tetero, Rwema and Dukore destroyed that trap as well.

I'm always happy to acknowledge, that although we are at the top (probably) of the intelligence tree, our furry friends are a lot closer to us than most people are happy to admit. I'm also very happy this intelligence has proved so useful, I'd be happier still if they took it a stage further and build poacher traps. :D

Edited by dimreepr

• 3 weeks later...

A truly inspiring find. This vindicates the fact that we share this planet with other sentient and intelligent beings who deserve our respect. However, I think the gorillas should all be trained and armed with baseball bats to chase away any more callous poachers. :rolleyes: Do the poachers deserve any better?

Edited by jimmydasaint

Perhaps the right to bear arms should be extended to gorillas. Why should bears be the only ones having all of the fun with firearms? There's probably an iPad app already available out there to train our primate relatives to shoot!

Nice article.

Well, with the human race, IQ keeps increasing every decade or so.... whatever IQ is.

Consider it could be applied to gorillas, and things start making sense: The gorillas are getting smarter, too, every couple of generations or so.

Edited by Genecks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.