CAn we get an ignore list?

What would go a long way to avoiding conflict would be if you stopped being so frigging hypersensitive and starting interminable threads about how rude people are and how hard done by you are, and how the moderators don't do a good job of policing things with a fair hand, etc, etc. It's getting frigging tiresome.

I've been thinking about a way to avoid conflict and I have an idea to help in that area. Some forums have an ignore list so you select particular members posts to be hidden from you. This goes a long way in helping to avoid conflict.

What do you think of the idea? Could it be done?

What Captain Panic said. Do you really need an entire function just so you can find the will power to ignore someone's posts?

!

Moderator Note

1. TTBOMK We have an ignore member setting. I don't know if it works as I have never used it and have no intention of using it as I believe it completely trashes the idea of a discussion to covers one's eyes and miss posts.

a. my settings

b. profile

c. manage ignored users

2. What CaptainP, HyperV and others have said. Your last few threads have all been low-level but persistent criticism of the forum and its members. Let's just leave that and move on please. The staff and admin here are all volunteers and we do not have the time to deal with every member's dissatisfactions with the running and set-up of the forum. The is a community and thus give and take is required.

3. Please immediately stop telling other members and staff what they are allowed or not allowed to say.

4. Complaining about rudeness and then comparing the membership to ignorant teenagers is a complete double standard. Stop now.

5. I would suggest that you keep your posts confined to science topics and cease with posts that are made up of criticism of members and the site, editorialising, and veiled personal attacks.

!

Moderator Note

Several reports have been received on this thread - after moderator discussion it was decided that no further action need be taken at this time.

This thread degenerated into a stream of insults so I deleted all my posts.

Please learn to distinguish advice, no matter how unwelcome, or how phrased, from insults. When I choose to insult you I assure you that there will be absolutely no doubt that I have done so. The collateral damage could spread through several threads.

Well, I guess the opening post shows what happens if you ignore people in a discussion. Deleting a post after multiple people replied has the same effect: Suddenly the replies that follow just don't make any sense anymore.

This might be the only time in the history of SFN when the act of deleting a post was actually on topic.

Mod: "PourMonBien, you made a very serious mistake! I'll punish you."

PourMonBien: "what I have I done?"

Mod: "Shut up!" (PourMonBien is shutted up)

...time passes by....

PourMonBien: "I did nothing, I was injust..."

Mod: "Shut up!"

Member: "PourMonBien should stop complaining!"

Mod: "Right."

PourMonBien: "I shut up."

Pitiful example of human behaviour on all sides.

Edited by michel123456

Mod: "PourMonBien, you made a very serious mistake! I'll punish you."

PourMonBien: "what I have I done?"

Mod: "Shut up!" (PourMonBien is shutted up)

...time passes by....

PourMonBien: "I did nothing, I was injust..."

Mod: "Shut up!"

Member: "PourMonBien should stop complaining!"

Mod: "Right."

PourMonBien: "I shut up."

Pitiful example of human behaviour on all sides.

I'm not sure what you try to say here, but we did explain plenty of times to pmb what's going on. So, I disagree completely with your analysis that we just shut people up.

Also, I think my 1st post in this thread actually addresses the issue that was raised (originally) in the OP.

Then again, maybe "mod" does not refer to the moderators here, and "pourmonbien" might not refer to pmb.

!

Moderator Note

Let's hope that now being able to ignore one's nemesis is a satisfactory solution.

And to anyone else reading this, please don't EVER go through and delete whole posts from any thread you've been in. Take the time to post things you're proud of.

Since there is no further reason for this to be open, I'll close it now.