2012- end of the world

sri_nav

mayan calender says its the end of the world.

even in kuran there are saying's that world going to end in 2012

hindu religion as also says that it's the end.

WHAT DOES SCIENCE HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS???

Incorrect. The Mayan calendar comes to end of one of its cycles. This is not equivalent to the end of the world.

Please specify in which sura and in which verse this claim is made. (In other words I am stating that, again, you are incorrect and that the Quran does not make such a claim.)

Where is this claim made within the Hindu religion? Firstly the Kali Yuga cycle and the Mayan cycle do not begin, or end, at the same time. Secondly the ending of a cycle is not equivalent to the ending of the world.

Science has a great deal to say about it. Psychologists, sociologists and anthropologists are all interested in the gullibility of humans and the powerful desire in some members of the species to believe in 'End of World' scenarios. Their attachment to these and their desire that the end occur within their lifetime and preferably soon is often seen as a compensation for feelings of inadequacy, as individuals or as a society. Thank you for providing the opportunity to point this out.

we all know very well that for every start there is an end,obviously it comes to this as well.

This is an unscientific, unqualified, vague statement and as such is of little value. It certainly fails utterly to justify giving any serious consideration to the claim that the world will end in 2012.

Now, I took the time to respond to your post in detail. Will you now show me the courtesty of answering the questions I raised in that post and, ideally, addressing the points I made. Thank you in advance.

we all know very well that for every start there is an end,obviously it comes to this as well.

You've never heard of infinity?

But anyway, that point aside, the world's end has been predicted countless times and nobody has ever been correct, evidently. The 2012 end of the world theory is one of the least convincing yet.

sri_nav,

I'll bet you the world does not end in 2012. I will even give a week or two fudge factor, and 10 to one odds.

If the world ends on Dec. 21st 2012, or any time thereabouts, I will owe you a million dollars. If it does not end on or about that date, you will owe me 100,000 dollars.

What do you say?

OK, a little too rich for your blood?

How about this. The loser has to write the word "IDIOT" backward on his or her forehead, in magic marker, in big bold letters, so that he or she can read it clearly in the mirror for several days?

Or maybe, on the 23rd, you will have the guts to post here, and admit you were 100% wrong.

You are assuming a ton of rumors you have heard are fact. A few hours of reading factual literature on the subject, and you would see that none of these speculative claims have any scientific proof.

You are assuming a ton of rumors you have heard are fact. A few hours of reading factual literature on the subject, and you would see that none of these speculative claims have any scientific proof.

Wow this is fantastic! That means in one fell swoop this year Paganism, Islam, and Hinduism will all be disproved!

Huzzah! :lol:

Edited by The Peon

!

Moderator Note

A huge chunk of biblical text, without any question, claim or point made, was deleted from the thread.
Pymander, this is a discussion forum, not a "copy the bible" fest. If you have a claim you want to make, make it. Copy/pasting huge chunks of scripture is not the way to go.

I am selling insurance that will pay you 1 billion dollars if the world comes to an end before your own life time is over. All you have to so is send me $1,000 to insure the world will not end with in the span of your life. PM me for a paypal account you can send your money to...

!

Moderator Note

A huge chunk of biblical text, without any question, claim or point made, was deleted from the thread.

Pymander, this is a discussion forum, not a "copy the bible" fest. If you have a claim you want to make, make it. Copy/pasting huge chunks of scripture is not the way to go.

Considering that mayan, kuran & hindu thoughts are represented in this thread, I couldn't help feeling that the religion upon which the Constitution of the U.S.A and U.K. was based needs some representation. However, finding the relevant references requires some knowledge of its scripture, and decided to help. I hope this is okay.

DEUTERONOMY 32:21 - 32:22

PSALMS 46:4 - 46:6, 82:6 - 82:8

ISAIAH 65:17 - 65:21

DANIEL 11:36 - 11:39, 12:1 - 12:2, 12:11 - 12:13

NAHUM 2:3 - 2:4

ZEPHANIAH 1:3, 3:1 - 3:20

MATTHEW 24:15, 24:21 - 24:31

ACTS OF THE APOSTLES 17:30 - 17:32

2 PETER 3:1 - 3:18

REVELATION 11:15 - 11:19

I am selling insurance that will pay you 1 billion dollars if the world comes to an end before your own life time is over. All you have to so is send me $1,000 to insure the world will not end with in the span of your life. PM me for a paypal account you can send your money to...

Money's no use on the other side, and I hope like hell they don't use it wherever we incarnate next.

!

Moderator Note

Pymander,
You're still not making any serious contribution to the thread. You are just spamming us with something biblical because you feel it is underrepresented in comparioson to other religions. That is no good reason, it is off-topic, and it stops here and now.

This is your last warning. Do not reply to this mod note.

Incorrect. The Mayan calendar comes to end of one of its cycles. This is not equivalent to the end of the world.

this is new to me,i didn't know about it.

Please specify in which sura and in which verse this claim is made. (In other words I am stating that, again, you are incorrect and that the Quran does not make such a claim.)

i exactly don have the details of it,i have it from my friend.

Where is this claim made within the Hindu religion? Firstly the Kali Yuga cycle and the Mayan cycle do not begin, or end, at the same time. Secondly the ending of a cycle is not equivalent to the ending of the world.

it is said that when kali yuga(at peaks) comes the world will end ,it's said in ramyana

Science has a great deal to say about it. Psychologists, sociologists and anthropologists are all interested in the gullibility of humans and the powerful desire in some members of the species to believe in 'End of World' scenarios. Their attachment to these and their desire that the end occur within their lifetime and preferably soon is often seen as a compensation for feelings of inadequacy, as individuals or as a society. Thank you for providing the opportunity to point this out.

there are loads of things unanswered in this world, which are not yet proved.

all i want to say is science cant prove everything(if at all it can come to conclusions it would take ages),there are ton's of examples where science though proved many things, took ages for proving.

RUSHI's and MUNI's predicted many things which all came true,as well as we follow thing's passed onto us by them only for our good.

Edited by CaptainPanic

!

Moderator Note

Ophiolite, sri_nav, I have edited sri_nav's post to fix the quotes.

sri_nav, you have to copy-paste the

every time in front of a text that you're quoting. And close it with
. But don't worry about it. The most important is that you're answering the questions and that you're engaging in the discussion. Good job.

Please pretend that this mod note was not written... Just carry on with the discussion.

Considering that mayan, kuran & hindu thoughts are represented in this thread, I couldn't help feeling that the religion upon which the Constitution of the U.S.A and U.K. was based needs some representation. However, finding the relevant references requires some knowledge of its scripture, and decided to help.

What religion exactly is the constitution of the USA based on?

http://www.nobeliefs.com/Tripoli.htm

!

Moderator Note

Moontanman,
The discussion that Pymander tried to start was shut down twice by mods. Don't start it again.

Pymander,
If you come back do not reply to Moontanman's question. If you two want to discuss it, do it in a separate thread.

*facepalm* That notion is a total fabrication and as non-nonsensical as the end of the world itself. The Maya NEVER predicted the end of the world. They accurately calculated (NOT "predicted") the end of a GIANT cycle of time (roughly 25,600 years). Quick question: What happens after a cycle of time ends / has elapsed? Easy! A NEW cycle of time begins! That's ALL they said. Nothing more, nothing less. Does the world end on December 31st of each year? Of course not, the world continues on January 1st! And the lesson lesson learned here is? Don't buy into the fear-mongering bullshit. ESPECIALLY the mayan prediction crap, which IS completely made-up from A to Z and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

From an article at news.discovery.com:

"The Maya recorded time in a series of cycles, including 400-year chunks called baktuns. It's these baktuns that have led to rumors of an end-of-the-world catastrophe on Dec. 21, 2012 -- on that date, a cycle of 13 baktuns will be complete. But the idea that this means the end of the world is a misconception, Stuart said. In fact,
Maya experts have known for a long time that the calendar doesn't end after the 13th baktun. It simply begins a new cycle.
And the calendar encompasses much larger units than the baktun."

From an article at news.discovery.com:

"The Maya recorded time in a series of cycles, including 400-year chunks called baktuns. It's these baktuns that have led to rumors of an end-of-the-world catastrophe on Dec. 21, 2012 -- on that date, a cycle of 13 baktuns will be complete. But the idea that this means the end of the world is a misconception, Stuart said. In fact,
Maya experts have known for a long time that the calendar doesn't end after the 13th baktun. It simply begins a new cycle.
And the calendar encompasses much larger units than the baktun."

Exactly, it's the equivalent of thinking that the world will end at midnight because my clock will only go to 11:59....