About Boltzmann Constant

Landmann

Im recently studying Boltzmann Constant for Landauer's principle.

I wondered is there a volume for that? What's the units they use(cm or m) when we derive the Boltzmann constant?

I've been looking through the internet but I found nothing. Any Help? Thanks

I wondered is there a volume for that? What's the units they use(cm or m) when we derive the Boltzmann constant?

I do not really understand your questions. What volume do you think there is for a universal constant as kB? Why you ask for units? A universal constant does not vary with the units choosed, because a universal constant is not a number.

Edited by juanrga

Have you tried wikipedia?

Landauer's principle

Boltzmann constant

kB= 8.617 3324x10-5eV/K

I do not really understand your questions. What volume do you think there is for a universal constant as kB? Why you ask for units? A universal constant does not depend on the units, because a universal constant is not a number.

I don't understand your answer. Boltzmann's constant has units.

I don't understand your answer. Boltzmann's constant has units.

This is what my "a universal constant is not a number" means.

I think you got confused about the first part of my answer. I have rephrased it.

This is what my "a universal constant is not a number" means.

I think you got confused about the first part of my answer. I have rephrased it.

We're talking about Boltzmann's constant. So yes, I am confused by your answer.

If you give more details about what is confusing part I will try to explain better.

The Boltzmann constant has units. Therefore, any discussion of a unitless universal constant would seem to be moot. What is the relevance?

The Boltzmann constant has units.

Yes, this is what I did mean in my first post: "A universal constant does not vary with the units [chosen], because a universal constant is not a number." I do not know what are you trying to say/prove/ask.

Check also Scientific constants

Edited by juanrga

Yes, this is what I did mean in my first post: "A universal constant does not vary with the units [chosen], because a universal constant is not a number." I do not know what are you trying to say/prove/ask.

Check also Scientific constants

Boltzmann's constant HAS UNITS. Ergo, it's not a universal constant. So what does your post(s) have to do with the thread?

Boltzmann's constant HAS UNITS.

You have said this three times now and in each one of them I have said you "YES". And if you try a fourth time I will agree with you again, but you can prove in any case.

Ergo, it's not a universal constant.

G, c, and h also have units, do you believe that they are not universal constants?

You have said this three times now and in each one of them I have said you "YES". And if you try a fourth time I will agree with you again, but you can prove in any case.

I can prove what in any case?

You agree that it has units, so why do you ask why someone is inquiring about what units it has? Why not just give the answer?

G, c, and h also have units, do you believe that they are not universal constants?

According to your definition, apparently no, they are not. If I express c in furlongs per fortnight, the numerical value changes.

I don't know what you mean by a universal constant is not a number. What is it, a frog?

What does ANY of this have to do with the OP, asking about units for [math]k_B[/math]

You agree that it has units, so why do you ask why someone is inquiring about what units it has? Why not just give the answer?

According to your definition, apparently no, they are not. If I express c in furlongs per fortnight, the numerical value changes.

I don't know what you mean by a universal constant is not a number. What is it, a frog?

The OP wrote "What's the units they use(cm or m) when we derive the Boltzmann constant?". I tried to clarify that the constant kB is the same using centimetres or metres (details below).

A universal constant is not a number neither a frog. I gave you a scientific constants link that explains what is a constant. A universal constant is not a number: G is not a number, c is not a number, h is not a number, kB is not a number... A universal constant is the product of a numerical value and the chosen units.

Using standard notation for scientific quantities, the Boltzmann constant can be expressed as

kB = {kB} [kB]

Here {kB} is "the number of times that the unit" [kB] "is contained in the value" of the constant.

If you change the units, what varies is the numerical value {kB} not the Boltzmann constant kB

kB = {kB} [kB] = {kB'} [kB']

Indeed, the constant kB is the same using metres or centimetres

kB = 1.3806488(13)×10-23 m2 kg s-2  K-1= 1.3806488(13)×10-19 cm2 kg s-2  K-1

Another poster used electron-volt units but again the constant kB does not vary, what varies is the numerical factor {kB}

kB = 1.3806488(13)×10-23 m2 kg s-2  K-1= 8.617 3324(78)×10−5 eV K-1

Once again: a constant is not a number neither a frog. The Boltzman constant is not a number such as 1.3806488(13)×10-23  but the product of a numerical value and the chosen units kB = 1.3806488(13)×10-23 J K-1.

Edited by juanrga