Transporting live electricity???

HKS85

i had this idea about 2 years ago and think about it now and then. As of now its just a dream. My thought is transporting electricity through the air for ex: like radio waves as opposed to a conductor like a power line. If this were possible the possibilities would be endless. Anyone have any idea(s) on how this would work? :confused:

i dont know how realistic this is.... sure you could transport electricity in sparks, but the resistance or air is quite high and would therefore be unsuitable for commercial purposes.

you could find some way of transforming electricity into energy and then back again. but i dont know how you could do that.

if you think of electricty as a flow of electrons how could you maintain a flow of electrons through something???

yea tesla had a few ideas on ways to move power like using the ionosphere but I think new leaps in exploring quantum teleporation will probably be the best way to move forms of energy without a physical medium, scientits have already done sucsessful experiments in Pasadena Cali. they transported a photon of light and I think the U.S is now funding the technology through certain institutes.That is only my opinion I may be wrong. :confused:

yea tesla had a few ideas on ways to move power like using the ionosphere but I think new leaps in exploring quantum teleporation will probably be the best way to move forms of energy without a physical medium, scientits have already done sucsessful experiments in Pasadena Cali. they transported a photon of light and I think the U.S is now funding the technology through certain institutes.That is only my opinion I may be wrong. :confused:

That didn't transport the energy.

yea tesla had a few ideas on ways to move power like using the ionosphere but I think new leaps in exploring quantum teleporation will probably be the best way to move forms of energy without a physical medium, scientits have already done sucsessful experiments in Pasadena Cali. they transported a photon of light and I think the U.S is now funding the technology through certain institutes.

nah, quantum teleportation teleports a quantum state, no energy... i still dont think that there is a realistic method of wirelessly transporting electricty without major energy loss.

perhaps you are right "slickinfinit" changing electricity into another form of energy sounds like the way to go. with most things (im not sure if all) when you change energy from one form to another you get unwanted reaction, thus wasted energy. this wast comes through heat, friction and the like. In Tesla's journals it talks of cranking the voltage up to 50 megavolts and sending it in a very very tiny beam. maby another option would be using ions. im not too sure how it would work or if it would work.

so far sending electricity in its raw for is almost out of the question due to resistance through air. other ideas include

microwaves, ions, what about light? if you have any ideas please add in more or take off something from the list if you know some reason it wouldnt work...

most transport mechanisms would run into massive conversion losses. i.e. you would lose most of the energy converting the electricity into a laser and then back again. Of course, if you have no way of transporting your energy, i.e. a big solar array in space, then this is the way to go, but for terrestrial energy transport, electrical wires are really the best solution. Optical Fibre transport would run into problems because of nonlinear effects in the medium limiting the carrying capacity of the fibre. One possibility is the ionisation of air using a UV laser, and then imposing a very large potential difference across two points of the lasers' path. This would result in a kind of controlled lightning, and because the air is pre-ionised you wouldn't need a PD as large as with conventional ligtning. Containment would be absolutely horrible though, and you would have to evacuate a massive region around the path of the laser, and you might get alot of arcs, losing a load of energy. in short, it would just be easier to lay a wire.

there is one practical application found in everyday life though. and thats the transponder chips, they don`t have any power of their own, but take it from an energised coil and convert it to electricity to send a code out, like when you have your dog chipped or price tags in certain shops with the alarms at the door.

That didn't transport the energy.

Telsa was thinking of ways to move energy through the ionosphere which is not quantum transport it is transport through a non-linear medium, meaning not using straight wires but by conducting atmoshperic electricity to ground based recieving stations. Also to refer to quantum teleportation, how can u loose more energy than we currently loose in our present power transfer means, where would the lost energy go during teleportation? In my opinion only I think u would loose very little energy in teleportation and once the science is a normal routine we will beam energy.

efficiency:

Look at man's machines today compared to 50 years ago. As the years go by, we develop new ways that produce less heat, less friction and so on. look at the internal combustion engine. It has to be the most inefficient machine we use today. 42% of the energy the comes from burning the fuel is lossed through the exhaust system, 28% through the cooling system and 15% to friction. Thats a total of 85% loss!!! tesla's idea may seem way to impractical and would be way too inefficient but as time goes by, more testing and inovation could and prob will lead to a much much high efficiency. i know that a machine that would send this laser thingy does not run on gasoline (at least i think lol) and would prob not have too many moving parts to cause friction but the heat i believe would be there...

Telsa was thinking of ways to move energy through the ionosphere which is not quantum transport it is transport through a non-linear medium, meaning not using straight wires but by conducting atmoshperic electricity to ground based recieving stations. Also to refer to quantum teleportation, how can u loose more energy than we currently loose in our present power transfer means, where would the lost energy go during teleportation? In my opinion only I think u would loose very little energy in teleportation and once the science is a normal routine we will beam energy.

Quantum teleportation transports information. Not matter, not energy.

It's like "burning" a CD to transport energy. It's a non-sequitur. That's not what a CD does.

Incandescent light bulbs lose around 90% energy to heat.

yes, exactly my point! The first light bulbs that were avalible for the consumer were incandescent. years later it was fluorescent which is stil being refined today and since then we now have LEDs or my fav HIDs. ive been watching the price of leds and hids over the past couple of years and and its amasing how much the price has gone down and the quality has gone up. LEDs are a given, we all know about that but HIDs? 2 years ago they only came in BMWs and other high end cars. if you wanted to get a conversion kit for your car it was about $800 per light and thats for the low or high beam only. thats a total of $3200 for headlights! Last night i was looking for a conversion kit for my CBR1000RR and you wouldnt believe how much the price has gone down. i found an "H4" hid conversion kit which will fit 90% of all cars/trucks and bikes. that was 2 bulbes hi/low beams for $450 not to mention they use 1/2 the power as they did 2 years ago. @ 1/2 the power of the standard Halogen incandescent bulbes they put out aprox 250% more light! anyway getting off subject. New technology is often super inefficient but through time it gets revised to be beter.

Quantum teleportation transports information. Not matter' date=' not energy.

It's like "burning" a CD to transport energy. It's a non-sequitur. That's not what a CD does.[/quote']

Swasont u are more educated than me from what I gather from your posts so I respect what u say but I assume if u can transport the information of an electron and make it appear with out generating it at the place it was transported to, meaning I transport a stream of electron information and those electrons will not act as electricity? I have read about teleportation and the reasearch I read said they are working on matter transortation if they can make a solid state appear out of quantum teleportation why is energy not allowed and are saying only computer data can be sent if so only high speed computers will be made from this technology.

quantum teleportation doesnt teleport anything.... it more transports something, that something is the quantum properties of an atom or photon.

the data still needs to be sent along a mode of transport normally a laser, therefore nothing exceeds c (speed of light) therefore nothing is instanteneous nor is it technically teleportation.

note that no matter nor energy is "teleported" only properties... e.g. spin or polarisation.

no matter and no energy

i have not heard of a succesful teleportation of energy or matter and as far as i am concerned they are not yet possible.... theoretically or physically (although there may be some quantum phonemna allowing it, we (humans) dont know of it yet).

quantum computers work by "teleporting" the properties (for atom up or down spin) an up (for example) would represent 1 and down represent 0 as you can see we now have binary coding, this is the basis for a quantum computer, in that data is transported in the quantum state of the atom.

remembering that we need a 'transporter' (normally a laser) therefore in a quantum computer, things work at the speed of a laser = speed of light = c

relating back to original topic it is not as far as we (humans) are aware possible to teleport energy, therefore we cannot teleport electricity.

i think that this thread, or what it is asking is impossible.

unless you could transfer it in some mega magnetic wave, but that'd muck up a whole load of stuff and there's a limited range, so thats not so suitable.