Just because you don't witness god doesn't mean he isn't there.

MrAndrew1337

Tell you what, I'll have fun if you stop trying to win...

I'd answer that I feel sory for you that you will never have fun in your life but then you'd not get the joke again, take it the wrong way and tell me of my ignorance - so I won't.

I'd answer that I feel sory for you that you will never have fun in your life but then you'd not get the joke again, take it the wrong way and tell me of my ignorance - so I won't.

!

Moderator Note

I like humor, but it should never be used to deflect a serious, honest attempt to communicate about a nuanced philosophical argument. Let's allow for some respect as well.

• 1 month later...

Why would God make some guys/girls extremely ugly so that they cannot get any affection from the opposite sex?

If God existed then he would not make some people extremely ugly and depressed and others extremely good-looking and successful.

Also this God must a monster for allowing innocent people to suffer like that. This God apparently allows innocent people to be born into a world where they will suffer and be tormented endlessly for no reason and also without allowing people who suffer for no reason a non-painful and peaceful way to end their life.

People suffer on this planet for no reason and God does nothing to stop it therefore he's either a monster or he doesn't exist.

The fact that life is so unfair to some people proves that there is no God in my opinion otherwise God would have done something to help people who are victims to extremely unfair life circumstances.

Edited by seriously disabled

Why would God make some guys/girls extremely ugly so that they cannot get any affection from the opposite sex?

God likes variation.

And god works in mysterious ways.

He also created viruses and bloodsucking insects.

Edited by Itoero

• 2 months later...

This is a true convorsation that happened in a class I was in a year or two ago. I quoted it as best I could.

Professor : You are a Christian, aren’t you, son ?

Student : Yes, sir.

(Snip bulk of lie)

Professor: I guess you’ll have to take them on faith, son.

Student : That is it sir … Exactly ! The link between man & GOD is FAITH. That is all that keeps things alive and moving.

This is the same type of "convorstion" that creationists have all the time. Isn't it interesting that only creationists have these "convorsations"? You'd have thought that there'd be at minimum, one non-creationist who could confirm he was party to the discussion.

I knew it was BS as soon as I started reading. Why do creationists all eventually resort to lying?

Physical beauty is something that is very misleading & placing value in it is misguided as it is the beauty of the spirit that really maters, the beauty of a mind free to engage anyone in the expression of love & support, a heart sympathetic & giving of itself to others in need of nurturing, a soul filled with & overflowing desire to express love to the lesser in this world's eyes as well as building up fellow sojourners in a time of need. Most of the successful beauties I know are empty & mourn over it as they share in vulnerable intimate moments.

You've introduced some terms that strike me as ambiguous and unhelpful to understanding.

Please clarify and define:

What is spirit and how can it be measured?

What is soul and his can it be measured?

I support the deeper message about the importance of empathy and helping others in need, though. Just so we're clear, my challenge is separate from that point where we seem to enjoy overlap.

You've failed to define how these can be measured, and have now unfortunately managed only your introduce further ambiguity with the term "life force."

Dear me, we seem to be heading completely in the wrong direction...away from clarity and understanding instead of closer to it.

We can't hookup a machine to measure the presence of the supernatural in a person, other than a heart rate monitor but that still doesn't let you see the life shinning from within. It is no different that the faith needed to believe nothing x's billions of years ='s everything. No-one was there to see the unfolding of billions of years & so a certain amount of faith is needed to accept it. Either you have faith in your chosen religion or you choose another that you do have faith in based on whatever it is that makes your inner self comfortable. :)

It is no different that the faith needed to believe nothing x's billions of years ='s everything.

This is wrong.

The belief that something unobservable is responsible for natural events requires faith, a type of belief that persists despite a complete lack of evidence. You have faith that it was your god(s) and not the doctor that saved Aunt Emma from cancer.

The belief that billions of years in a primordial soup of chemicals, heat, and light produced the diversity of life today is something that can be verified by those who can be bothered. We can use the accumulated human knowledge based on thousands of years of observation, history, and in more modern times, the scientific method. Using these tools, we uncover explanations we believe in because we trust them to be true, not because we hope or make believe or use blind faith.

Faith or trust [(one party willing to rely on the actions of another party) we are to rely on what happened billions of years ago or just millions when no-one was there to observe using scientific method?].....same end my friend, filling the gaps with something from within, If we are able to be honest with ourselves.

Also, thousands of years of observations had everything being Created by God up to only around Darwin's time.

Edited by Air Between The Notes

Faith or trust [(one party willing to rely on the actions of another party) we are to rely on what happened billions of years ago or just millions when no-one was there to observe using scientific method?].....same end my friend, filling the gaps with something from within, If we are able to be honest with ourselves.

No.

Belief is either blind like faith, or it's untethered like hope, or it's grounded like trust. Your faith that your god(s) will cure Aunt Emma is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE the trust I have that a board certified oncologist will be able to cure her. I can check the doctor's credentials, I can go over past history on the procedures used, I can dig deeper into epidemiology, or I can even decide to go back to school and study medicine. I can learn to use my brain so the explanations I choose to believe are based on trust, and not on hope. And especially not on faith, a form of belief that requires me to believe STRONGLY in disproportion to my ability to reason.

QUOTE"...were not there to observe what went down... so faith'

But we can observe what did go down by looking at the evidence before us... fossil records, dating of rocks etc.. We can work it out like a detective and see what happened. That isn't faith, it is fact based belief (belief based on evidence).

Edited by DrP

Yet the fossil record is assuming or having faith in the idea that it was formed over a long period of time, we were not there to see it & any amount of real living in the elements shows us that bones get used up by others unless preserved like in a global catastrophe of much water for instance but not one creature at a time laid upon another other than say a tar pit of small localized flood's mud but nothing of the size of fossil fields turned to time & again by those of the timeline/fossil faith.

Yet the fossil record is assuming or having faith in the idea that it was formed over a long period of time,

No, it's not a faith, but a scientific confidence in dating methods. You should read about radioactive decay and the dating methods based on it.

Air between the nodes - how do I know the neighbour's dog wasn't born yesterday? I wasn't there to see it.... although I am pretty confident it is more than one day old. I know this because of what I know of the facts of the world. We have a good idea of how long rocks take to form... it is well established science and arguing against it is just... errr.. I am trying to find a word other than dumb, because I do not want to be insulting... but what other word can I use if someone claims the dog next door is 1 day old when it is clear many years old?

Yet the fossil record is assuming or having faith in the idea that it was formed over a long period of time, we were not there to see it & any amount of real living in the elements shows us that bones get used up by others unless preserved like in a global catastrophe of much water for instance but not one creature at a time laid upon another other than say a tar pit of small localized flood's mud but nothing of the size of fossil fields turned to time & again by those of the timeline/fossil faith.

Very few animals are fossilized, what fossils we do see conform to gradual deposition over many millions of years. What we see in the fossil record in no way suggests a world wide flood, you will never find a bunny rabbit in the cambrian, a T-Rex will never be found fossilized beside a dimetrodon, nor will apes be found in the same strata as dinosaurs. You premiss is dishonest and trivially falsified...