The Official "Quick Question" Thread

boris_73

Heh I've had this unanswered question for a while but I know the answer now.

Every decade (now) is rising .2C. The temperature per any year fluctuates greatly (for instance next year isn't going to be .02C higher, it might be lower, or maybe an entire few degrees higher). Between 1975 and 2005 temperatures rose .6C.

Between 1900 and 2000, temperatures rose .8C, at an average rate much slower than the current rate of change (.2C+/decade. Half of the total temperature change for last century occurred the last two decades. The other .4 took 80 years.).

Here's a graph:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Satellite_Temperatures.png

• 1 year later...

Capsaicin. Causes mucous arousal. The heat is interpreted by the body as a foreign envader, and is attacked. The pain from the heat causes endorphins to flow through you, and that ultimately makes the heat feel good.

It's the spices.

And... do you like beans in your chili, or no?

Capsaicin. Causes mucous arousal. The heat is interpreted by the body as a foreign envader, and is attacked. The pain from the heat causes endorphins to flow through you, and that ultimately makes the heat feel good.

It's the spices.

And... do you like beans in your chili, or no?

Why thank you, and yes. The beans are integral are they not?

I knew it was spelled some way. My first thought was the way the country was spelled.

The beans are integral are they not?

As I understand it, real cowboys don't put beans in their chili, as they were used as a filler when beef was in short supply. However, I find that my intellect steers me in the proper direction, acknowledging beans as a source of healthy protien and meat as an archaic desire, so chili without beans... In my... far from humble... opinion, is not chili at all.

I eat hot peppers raw, but put beans in my chili. If you want to challenge me for that view, then I'll gladly show you in person why a black belt actually means something. :rolleyes:

• 10 months later...

From what I vaguely remember a version was made for the battle field during the Viet Nam War, to help stick down wounds. It may not have been good for you but it was better than bleeding out.

Krazy Glue

This crazy invention bonded with anything it contacted. Harry Coover invented a glue while working for Eastman Kodak.He was experimenting with various adhesives to make plastic lenses for rifle sights.He created a substance that was impossible to work with because it stuck to everything.

It wasn't any good for making lenses but "cyanoacrylate" was an amazing glue. You could glue something instantly. The bond was also very strong and permanent.

Other Uses

It was originally known as "Flash Glue" and then as "Eastman 910" adhesive. It was patented in 1958. A cyanoacrylate spray was also developed and used during the Vietnam war to stop bleeding. A medical version of this spray is used in health care. It was discovered that cyanocrylate could be used in forensics. Fumes from the adhesive reacts with fingerprints and forms a white residue that reveals fingerprints on smooth surfaces.

From what I vaguely remember a version was made for the battle field during the Viet Nam War, to help stick down wounds. It may not have been good for you but it was better than bleeding out.

Please cite your references.

It is impolite to expect us to "just believe" you (and deny us the privilege of going and reading more about it), and it's quite against the rules (of the forum and of writing in general) to plagiarize.

Please cite, especially when you quote directly from the text!

... and it's quite against the rules (of the forum and of writing in general) to plagiarize.

my understanding of plagiarism is that you try and pass someone else's work off as your own

pioneer's was clearly a quotation of someone else's words even though not referenced + the latter didn't particularly bother me, even though it would have been a nice add-on

my understanding of plagiarism is that you try and pass someone else's work off as your own

pioneer's was clearly a quotation of someone else's words even though not referenced + the latter didn't particularly bother me, even though it would have been a nice add-on

Not only is it simple common courtesy and a sign of academic integrity to source work you quote verbatim, but it's required on this site.

Other than the fact this is a forum RULE (to quote your sources), it actually IS plagiarism if you quote a source without saying where it came from. It might not be passing something as your own (although that's debateable.. who are you quoting? yourself? someone else? maybe your own work from previous years? who knows), it IS 'stealing' the thunder, stealing the credit, and its absolutely something that will get your paper trashed in most respectable colleges if you attempt to hand it this way.

Also, we are a science forum, the entire point is that this forum holds curious people who don't take things for granted. I saw the answer to the short question and I want to check more about it, as is a custom with self-respecting curious people.

Add a link, it's less than a second's work, it's following common courtesy and the rules of this forum, and it will help you get ready to submit REAL work where this can get you in deep trouble.

** shrug ** i suppose you know better than i do what goes in this forum, having been here longer than i have

while i must admit that it would be nice to know where the quote came from, i wouldn't want to sound rude by insisting on it

** shrug ** i suppose you know better than i do what goes in this forum, having been here longer than i have

while i must admit that it would be nice to know where the quote came from, i wouldn't want to sound rude by insisting on it

I didn't think I was rude. On the other hand, this isn't the first time I'm asking.

Please cite your references.

It is impolite to expect us to "just believe" you (and deny us the privilege of going and reading more about it), and it's quite against the rules (of the forum and of writing in general) to plagiarize.

Please cite, especially when you quote directly from the text!

I think that in this case "vaguely remember" is acceptable (pioneer's own words). Quoting the 2 blocks of text below, with no reference is not acceptable.

Just adding some info, and saying you're not sure is ok, especially if you include a new key-word (like "Vietnam") in this case. This can greatly improve the search results in a literature search. But if you use pioneer's post as your only reference, then you're just plain stupid.

The great thing about plagiarism and Google is that there's no need for discussion: just copy paste an entire sentence into google. With plagiarism you're guaranteed to get exactly 1 hit.

One thing pioneer did right: he made it clear to everyone that the quoted text is not his. So it took me less than 10 seconds to get the link:

http://www.inventor-strategies.com/crazy-invention.html

You are at the center of a 20m equilateral triangle with a raptor at each corner. The top raptor has a wounded leg and is limited to a top speed of 10 m/s. The raptors will run toward you. At what angle should you run to maximize the time you stay alive?

Credit where credit is due. I've seen that question on an XKCD comic.

Someone already tried to figure it out: http://www.mbeckler.org/velociraptors/velociraptors.html

It should be possible to figure out using calculus; I will consider trying that too. Under the assumption that (unlike in the problem) the raptors are smart enough to cut you off, I figured that your best bet is to run 30 degrees from the top raptor (by drawing a triangle and aiming for the spot that would be reached last by any raptor).

• 8 months later...

Logic gates make executing a program possible in a number of ways. There are two buses the data bus and the address bus. Through what's known as encoders and decoders, which are a logical construct of a combination of logic gates, addressing becomes possible via the address bus. The address bus points to locations in memory or to locations in storage devices such as hard drives etc. which contain programmed code. Programmed code is not English inside a processor it is a culmination of what's known as machine code. The programming language for a cpu is known as it's instruction set. An instruction set is made up of commands like jump to this memory location, add this data stored in this place to that data stored in that place and so on. Logic gates make these codes what they are. Codes are assigned values and when this value enters the cpu through the data bus it initiates a series of actions again controlled by logic gates. During a set of clock cycles a number of these operations are performed. When you put millions of these little codes together they form coherent structures known as programs which we as people take advantage of and enjoy! :P

and that's the quick answer...............

Thank you.

One more quick question, I dont fully understand how AND gates are made. I know that they are and2.gif, but I dont really get the voltage at the top part. So, theres is two diodes, a resistor, and a positive {letting energy out of a battery}in the one I am talking about right? I am not talking about the one with transistors.

So, these two diodes, wouldnt they just stop all current from coming through? so the truth table would just be whatever A and B are, its going to 0 that comes out? I am not quite sure what the resistor and the voltages role is. And what is the base down there supposed to be?

Can anybody help me?

Thank you in advance.

The one on your left is a Transistor Logic representation of a logic AND gate. I assume you understand how it works because you didn't pay any regard to it. The one on your right is Diode Logic............diode logic.........:rolleyes: Diode logic is a bit difficult to understand as a logic device because it utilizes less logic and more electrical prinicples to make it work. By this I mean it has to do with balancing the resistance of the system more so rather than just switching. Current methods of building logic systems do not implement diode logic as it has many limitations..........

I see, thank you for all the help. You have proven quite helpfull. I do understand the TTL gate, and I prefer that one anyways.

Alright, I know I said last one last time, but I have acquired 2 more. {I have alot of questions, sorry}

1. I have been looking everywhere on the internet, but I just can not find it, what is a transducers symbol? Specifically an "S" load cell/load transducer?

2. How in the world do TTL logic gates do math? I saw on another website {http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/electronics/gates.html} where it shows a picturehalf_adder_1.jpg of TTL gates doing "math", but all it does is convert a 1 0 signal to a 0 1 signal. ? is there some sort of decoder that changes the 01 etc... to the real binary numbers like 01, 10, 11, 100 etc...?

Thank you.