The Official "Quick Question" Thread

boris_73

Oh, so far I've learnt about hyrdocarbons such as alkanes and alkenes... so methane, ethane, propane etc and they're all CH2, C2H6, C3H8 (those are alkanes, alkenes are similar CxHy where x and y are numbers depending on what alkene it is)

But maybe that's just dumbed down chemistry they teach us at school.

well the Alkanes I`ve no problem with, it`s really very simple, Men Enjoy Pretty Birds...

Methane CH4 Ethane (add a carbon and 2 hydrogens) Propane (same again) Butane (same again) and so on....

the OLs add an Oxygen to the H at the end of the chain to make an OH.

but I`ve no Carbohydrate listing as this is a purely Chem only (no Bio) data book.

but I`m sure there will also be a "patern" in it that I can see :)

hydrocarbon: hydro (as in hydrogen) carbo (as in carbon)

carbohydrate: carbo (as in carbon) hydrate (as in water)

eg, hydrocarbons are a line of carbons with hydrogens stuck on, and occasionally other atoms to add variety, eg ethane, propene, methanoic acid, hexanol, 1,2-nitro,dec-3,7-ene-5-one dianoic acid etc.

carbohydrates follow the formula CnH2nOn, or to put it anotherway (C(H2O))n, and are stuff like sugars and fats.

unlike most hydrocarbons, carbohydrates are broken down by the body for energy. and to add to the confuseion, carbohydrates are a type of hydrocarbon.

the OLs add an Oxygen to the H at the end of the chain to make an OH.
doesnt have to be at the end.

CH3 CH2 CH2 CH2OH = butan-1-ol

CH3 CH2 CHOH CH3 = butan-2-ol

both = butanol

• 2 weeks later...

I read that the Pope has declared that it's ok to measure weight in grams.

As long as you're at 1 gravity at least. If you wan't to weigh a gram of iodine on Mars or in orbit you might have to get picky.

Stupid chemistry.

what on Earth prompted you to say that?

it`s Very unlike you!

anyway back to topic, 2,2,4 trimethylpropane, does anyone have a good synth for this?

it`s related to my 4-Stroke petrol conversion thread.

YT... read the thread!

Sayo thought the answer to the hydrocarbon/carbohydrate thing was something and it turned out totaly the opposite, which went to me saying "almost there" so sayo said "stupid chem"... it was jokey revenge on chemistry for being the opposite way to how he remembered it!!! because after all subjects should revolve around how he remembers them :confused:!

You can just delete this post, its a bit useless except it answers you question too!

• 3 weeks later...

I have an addition to my latest "Theory" but it all hinges upon the outcome of this question.

Is it possible that sufficient Photons could create Matter? or particles cappable of creating matter?

I have an addition to my latest "Theory" but it all hinges upon the outcome of this question.

Is it possible that sufficient Photons could create Matter? or particles cappable of creating matter?

Photons of sufficient energy can create matter/antimatter pairs. "sufficient" means that the energy exceeds the rest mass energy of the particles created. In the case of electrons/positrons, that's 1.02 MeV.

Some particles that can be created violate charge-parity (CP) conservation and you can end up with more matter than antimatter. (B mesons and K mesons, most notably)

Excellent!

that was just what I was hoping for! as my "Theory" involves matter/antimatter anihillation, in specific Positronium :)

I needed a method by which REAL photons could be made into REAL matter, the quantity of which would be "the correct amount" or "Sufficient".

carbohydrates follow the formula CnH2nOn' date=' or to put it anotherway (C(H[sub']2[/sub]O))n, and are stuff like sugars and fats.

The formula for carbohydrates is Cn(H2O)m where n does not necessarily equal m.

your right. sugars that are in their liniar form, for example, would be Cn(H2O)n+1; however, the vast majority of hydrocarbons carbohydrates are of the formula Cn(H2O)n IIRC (?)

• 2 months later...

Another question:

Ok boffs, why does the human head amplify radio signals? That is if you hold your remote against your head it will open your gate, garage door, car, whatever from further away. What is going on here?

Another question:

Ok boffs' date=' why does the human head amplify radio signals? That is if you hold your remote against your head it will open your gate, garage door, car, whatever from further away.[/quote']

It will?

Hey,

"Quick Question" - Is there a liquid (and how could it be transported) that will quickly and silently erode lead? I'm guessin some of the acids but i've no scientific knowledge, so dont want to assume, and there's nothing i hate more than false science in films.

Thanks...

here`s a quicky.

Gravity compression' date=' if 2 bodies in a vacuum are atracted to each other they will gradualy move together under gravitational forces (and eventualy meet up).

this will happen at a set rate of speed, now if the 2 bodies were FORCED together faster than their natural speed under gravity alone, would this make a compression of gravity?[/quote']

This sounds interesting. If true, would that mean that a moving object exerts more force of gravity in front of it than behind it? If it moved at the speed of light then it would create an infinite build up of gravity in front of it?

Photovoltaic cells work in solar panels to turn light into electricity. Is this limited to visible light or does it include UV rays, heat, microwaves, gamma-radiation et cetera?

You have to be able to give the electron energy more energy than the bandgap in the material in order to get current to flow, which is a problem at the low energies. You also have to make sure the photon actually interacts, which can be a problem at the high energies. But it's certainly possible outside of the visible.

(and "heat" is not part of the EM spectrum. Based on what you listed it's IR, which is not the same)