The Official "Quick Question" Thread

boris_73

weight is a force measured in newtons....

grams is a measurement of mass

theya are different things which are for some stupid reason used totaly incorrectly in the "real world"... (as in NOT scientific world)

and no i dont know its weight.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, I would assume one gram of anything weighs one gram[/i']... :confused:
"you`re perfectly correct! :)" -- YT2095

that is physically impossible as weight is measured in newtons!

Weight (Newtons): the vertical force exerted by a mass as a result of gravity

Mass (grams): the property of a body that causes it to have weight in a gravitational field

and is perfectly useless in Chemistry!

Physics need not apply or try to over complicate matters needlessly!

This is neither a chemistry thread nor a physics thread, so the context is lost.

5614 is simply responding to the question that was asked, as have I.

was the question that was asked, and the answer is 1 Gram.

No, the gram is a unit of mass.

Weight is a force: mass x acceleration.

[edit]

To clarify: 1 gram of mass (which could be anything, iodine or otherwise) weighs 9.8x10-3 Newtons on the surface of the earth.

Even if that isn't the answer to the question that he really wanted to ask.

but in Chem, non of that applies (outside a centrifuge or chromatographs etc...)

and his question was Chem based, In fact it was a follow on from his other question in the nitrogen triiodide thread posted a little while earlier :)

Exactly which part of the question would you say makes it a chemistry question?

If you take the fact that it contains the name of an element, then by your reasoning if we swap the word 'iodine' for the word 'koala' then it becomes a zoology question, despite the fact that it is still calling for a mass->weight conversion, which is a physical function.

Despite the trite but popular phrase, there is such a thing as the wrong question.

I suggest in future we ask for clarification on ambiguous questions (even where we don't really need it), since this thread is going to be highly googled and we'd probably rather not get a reputation as a science site where the questions and answers fail to match up yet draw no comments.

I know what he meant, but that doesn't mean I'm going to splurge an answer to a question he didn't ask in this thread.

Reason:

I suggest in future we ask for clarification on ambiguous questions (even where we don't really need it)[/b'], since this thread is going to be highly googled and we'd probably rather not get a reputation as a science site where the questions and answers fail to match up yet draw no comments.

I guess the constant line of questioning made it out that way.

Anyway... perhaps a Header to this thread and tidy-up of nonsense/irrelevance would be a good idea?

something to effect of being Specific as you`ve pointed out in some posts here.

maybe something official? :)

To clarify: 1 gram of mass (which could be anything, iodine or otherwise) weighs 9.8x10-3 Newtons on the surface of the earth.

right, as i've always been told that is true.... however, wouldnt that change with height?

e.g if you are a long way below sea level compared to on the top of mount everest, the height different is quite big and one being so much close to the center of earth and gravity, does this figure not change then????

the reason i say it might is, as we know, if you travelled (in a rocket) out of the earths atmosphere and so on then you would no long feel the earth's gravity, so distance seems to effect the force of gravity, so therefore doesnt the difference between mt everest and under sea level effect that figure?

here`s a quicky.

Gravity compression, if 2 bodies in a vacuum are atracted to each other they will gradualy move together under gravitational forces (and eventualy meet up).

this will happen at a set rate of speed, now if the 2 bodies were FORCED together faster than their natural speed under gravity alone, would this make a compression of gravity?