I picked the wrong major :/

genetix guy

I graduated from DU as an Environmental Science Major BS. I wish I would have chosen Genetics or Cell Biology at the end of my senior year. I have been working as a Chemist/Metallurgical Technician at a mining company for the last 2 years and amrealizing I am in the wrong field.

I have tried getting entry level Genetics and Biology jobs but I have been turned down everytime for 2 years.

Should I goback to school and get a degree in genetics or biology? Would that help? Advice would be appreciated

Edited by genetix guy

What kind of jobs are you applying to? If you're interested in research jobs, try to volunteer/intern in a basic science lab. That'll get you the experience you need to 'prove' yourself for other jobs. If these are BS-only level jobs, and you're in a STEM job already I would think the transition shouldn't require going back to school (which would honestly be a waste of time, considering you already have a science degree).

If you prove that you're smart and motivated, maybe a lab would even hire you into a research tech position. In my lab, there's a tech who came from a TV production background without a science degree and she's doing just fine.

ya being a volunteer/intern might be my only way into a Bio lab. Im just afraid they wont hire me and I will have wasted my time. But i might have to take that risk considering I want to do something that I enjoy the rest of my life

Environmental Science seems like a very flexible and relevant degree, and I think you could find work in environmental testing, microbiology, green chemistry, etc. If not your final career destination, they would be stepping stones. Certainly do not despair. This kind of career adjustment is very common, employers not only expect it but also may welcome the fact that you have tried and rejected other work and narrowed your career path. And as I said, your degree applies to many fields.

Rresume. Perhaps you should re-arrange your resume in this order: Summary, Education, Experience, etc in order to emphasize your career goals (Summary) and your education, and to de-emphasize your current position. Make a few slightly different versions of your resume, by juggling around the subjects listed in the summary that you studied for your degree. Examples: for a biochem lab job, "BS in Environmental Science with studies in chemistry, biology, ecology, physics, etc."; for an enviro lab job, "BS in Environmental Science with studies in chemistry, soil science, ecology, biology, atmospheric science, etc.", and so on.

Interviews. Give some reason for your first choice of job: location, employer, closer to GF/BF/SO, able to work outdoors, etc/whatever that swayed you away from biology, genetics, etc/whatever interests. Exaggerate if necessary. Then tell them the downside to that sort of work, and that you realize that you have been longing for the biology, genetics, etc/whatever work you did in school. Refresh your mind of your school work in bio, chem, etc/whatever and give examples in the interview, particularly of any lab work. Why did you wait two years to change? Give exemplary qualities: You wanted to fully experience the work, you didn't want to be a flash in the pan, you felt loyalty to the employer, you wanted to finish an important work project, etc. Don't appear fickle about switching/narrowing your career path; exude a settled conviction. Show a maturing process in your attitude.