How to get homo-sapiens in space

too-open-minded

Well now our earth is doing all kinds of crazy shenanigans like having a hole in our ozone, which will end up hurting us. We can sustain life on this planet forever. So are we going to stay on this planet and go with it, or try to see what else the universe has to offer us?

Living in space will ultimately be very hard on reproduction. a woman birthing a child for 9 months in 0 gravity doesn't sound like it will go very smoothly. So I don't think were going to one day just be able to say " hey lets go live in space " its something we must prepare for, and if we don't start soon it will never happen.

step 1 - Living in space will give us almost no access to sunlight as with no natural defenses like an atmosphere or electromagnetic field will make sunlight very harmfull, We should start finding other ways to make vitamin D and get as little sunlight as possible.

step 2 - We need to place very tall buildings at the tops of our tallest mountain ranges where gravity is directly between that of the strength at earths sea level and the moons surface.

step 3 - after properly reproducing their, we should try going another increment between where we are on the mountains and between the moon.

step 4 - We really need to find a way to channel our atmosphere through the hole it already has to the moon allowing us some protection from small space debris.

step 5 - build moon bases that can withstand meteorite impact.

thats only in the aspect of preparing for giving birth in space, If this were to be a legitimate plan it would have to be a lot more well planned out than my 10 minute idea lol.

step1 : sunbeds would solve vitamin D deficiency wouldn`t they?

step2 : a very tall building,if it could be built,would require a lot of work to maintain.Colonizing Antarctica seems more like a 1st step to colonizing space.

step3 : Artificial gravity-enormous wheel space stations would solve low gravity problems and probably be easier to build and maintain than your tall building- especially if materials were ferried from outside the Earth - the moon for example.

step4 : Vacuum is something that you`ll just have to put up with.Maybe they could use some kind of material to absorb micrometeorite impacts?

step5 : Moon bases should be comparatively easy once they get sophisticated robots with a good power supply up there.There`s no reason that with current technology that they couldn`t build a whole city up there out of lunar material. tomorrow (or maybe Thursday).

Well now our earth is doing all kinds of crazy shenanigans like having a hole in our ozone, which will end up hurting us. We can sustain life on this planet forever. So are we going to stay on this planet and go with it, or try to see what else the universe has to offer us?

To survive we must eventually leave this planet.

Living in space will ultimately be very hard on reproduction. a woman birthing a child for 9 months in 0 gravity doesn't sound like it will go very smoothly. So I don't think were going to one day just be able to say " hey lets go live in space " its something we must prepare for, and if we don't start soon it will never happen.

Simulating gravity is not impossible and the resources exist in space to make large habitats.

All focus should be on propulsion. At the moment it's just too expensive to get something heavy into space and keep it there and move it around a bit.

- Vitamin D seems trivial to me - we can create all the wavelengths of light that the sun shines on us.

- Gravity, or there lack thereof, can indeed be solved with some rotating system. Again, if it's no problem to launch a few tons extra into space, then this is trivial.

- The moon won't keep an atmosphere, so taking our earth atmosphere to the moon is not a particularly good idea. It's gone soon after.

All focus should be on propulsion. At the moment it's just too expensive to get something heavy into space and keep it there and move it around a bit.

Agreed, everything else becomes trivial if you have the power to easily transfer to Earth orbit and beyond

- Vitamin D seems trivial to me - we can create all the wavelengths of light that the sun shines on us.

- Gravity, or there lack thereof, can indeed be solved with some rotating system. Again, if it's no problem to launch a few tons extra into space, then this is trivial.

- The moon won't keep an atmosphere, so taking our earth atmosphere to the moon is not a particularly good idea. It's gone soon after.

I once saw the figures for an atmosphere on the moon and while the loss of atmosphere wouldn't be immediate it would loose gasses at a very high rate, simply bringing gasses to the moon fast enough to off set the loss would be an immense undertaking. But if you could say "magically" transfer an atmosphere or the moon it would last in the many thousands of years before it became too rarefied to breath.

I think nuclear power will have to be used to really make space travel efficient... Something on the order of a gaseous core reactor like the nuclear light bulb idea. There is also the powerful but somewhat less attractive nuclear salt water rocket

Well now if we could find out more about dark matter then holding an atmosphere in place wouldn't be all that hard. Although the whole moon idea isn't to colonize the moon forever but get humans use to producing in space.

Whats stronger artificial gravity, or the moons? I didn't even think about artificial gravity but is it strong enough to breed in?

Your very right about propulsion it is the first key component to getting to space, although I think cold-fusion is what will truly allow us to sustain life in space but before we get CF we must at least make nuclear power more efficient, your very right.

I think the next step in nuclear fusion is to find ways to harness chemical energy instead of kinetic.

Well now if we could find out more about dark matter then holding an atmosphere in place wouldn't be all that hard. Although the whole moon idea isn't to colonize the moon forever but get humans use to producing in space.

What does dark matter have to do with holding an atmosphere?

Whats stronger artificial gravity, or the moons? I didn't even think about artificial gravity but is it strong enough to breed in?

Artificial gravity can be the same as Earth's gravity...

Your very right about propulsion it is the first key component to getting to space, although I think cold-fusion is what will truly allow us to sustain life in space but before we get CF we must at least make nuclear power more efficient, your very right.

Cold fusion is nonsense...

I think the next step in nuclear fusion is to find ways to harness chemical energy instead of kinetic.

This make no sense...

Dark matter is what holds galaxies together, unless I'm mistaken. I may be.

Whatttt? thats crazy i didn't know that. So what exactly is artificial gravity? centrifugal force?

Alot of things at one point were considered to be nonsense.

If we could reach the temperature of the surface of the sun and then harness the energy created chemically instead of with a turbine it could be more efficient.

Dark matter is what holds galaxies together, unless I'm mistaken. I may be.

None the less what does dark matter have to do with the moon holding an atmosphere or any other body for that matter?

Whatttt? thats crazy i didn't know that. So what exactly is artificial gravity? centrifugal force?

Ummm yes...

Alot of things at one point were considered to be nonsense.

True, including your next line...

If we could reach the temperature of the surface of the sun and then harness the energy created chemically instead of with a turbine it could be more efficient.

If frogs had wings they wouldn't bust their little slimy asses when they jump... what does this mean?

Edited by Moontanman

Sometimes imagination is just as or more important than knowledge.

although knowledge is a key component for a good imagination and I'm a highschool dropout.

I start college in the fall though, maybe I'll make better sense after a few years of education.

Sometimes imagination is just as or more important than knowledge.

although knowledge is a key component for a good imagination and I'm a highschool dropout.

I start college in the fall though, maybe I'll make better sense after a few years of education.

I wasn't trying to ridicule you, I just can't make any sense of what you are saying...

First question: what is the need for humanity to get into space?

1. Because of existential external threat (astroid impact, sun going red giant, other)?

2. Because we exhaust the planet, and need living space or resources elsewhere?

3. Because we can, we must?

I would answer:

1. The existential external threat is better dealt with by

a. Investigating all the astroids or comets that could have a huge impact

b. Find a way of having those candidate huge rocks from space that could impact change the orbit so they don't impact or have them destroyed so that the debris will have no impact.

2. We better find a way first to have a sustainable economy and limit population growth (the best way for that is social justice and economic well-being for all, that will cut population growth)

3. There are a lot of things that can, but are they anyhow usefull, and economicaly viable? Who should pay for fullfilling these dreams only a few (the eilte) foster?

Edited by robheus

I want to see the human species thrive for as long as possible and unlock the mysteries to life. So humans don't need to but personally I would like them too. I guess its selfish but to me I feel I'm looking out for everyone else.

Another thing I want to see is less suffering in the world. But I guess taking things away from some peoples lives to make more people in general have a better life isn't necessary. Personally I would like to see that happen.

individual humans don't need to make it off this planet and sustain life in space, the survival of our species does. For the longevity of humanity.