To those against war on Iraq

blike

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine, great, fantastic, as I said before :-

Oh, well that's just peachy, roll right in their boys and get stuck in. Obviously it's a well thought out plan.

Obviously you understand the fact that the law has not been broken, and that the US are warmongers bringing terror to the middle east, so that's all ok. Because Bush said so. I can relax now.

Almost ALL nations agree that Saddam has violated his UN agreement, he has failed to disarm in 12 YEARS. He GASSED a MILLION INNOCENT PEOPLE. Intelligence suggests he has chemical weapons in his possession. Interviewed Iraqi defectors claim Iraq is training citizen targetting TERRORISTS.

Now, you tell me why he should remain in power?

Obviously the UN is doing NOTHING to oust his regime. Its been 12 years and he still isn't even following orders to disarm. Yet people still think this can be solved through diplomacy? Bush gave Saddam 48 hours to step down. There is NO other option. If Saddam fails to step down with even the threat of a US led WAR, what makes you think he will step down under "political pressures"

To a degree, yes he has violated the treaty. Yes he has gassed his population, yes he rules through terror, yes he is an evil man.

He does require removing from power, or restricted to a figurehead while a democratic system is installed. Should America do this? No, it's got nothing to do with the US.

Where does Faf get his information on WOMD? Is there a secrect report that only the Americans have seen?

Who said the UN were not planning a move against Iraq? Is that the only two options that the US can see? Either the UN continues with negotiations or the US attacks? Bush angry, Bush crash, Bush smash!

The UN does have intentions of negating Sadam, directly or indirectly. The plan is to do it without resorting to war if there is a chance to avoid bloodshed. It's pretty bloody unlikely that America can bully UN, it's just making the countries more adamant to ignore the hissy fits coming from the other side of the world.

He does require removing from power, or restricted to a figurehead while a democratic system is installed. Should America do this? No, it's got nothing to do with the US.

Then who will? Certainly not the french, or the russians, or the germans. Again, the UN has shown its inability to take action. Iraq wouldn't even be on the hotlist if not for the US and UK raising hell over it.

Who said the UN were not planning a move against Iraq? Is that the only two options that the US can see? Either the UN continues with negotiations or the US attacks?

France would veto anything that went through. That and what the UN says is but dust in the wind to saddam.

The UN does have intentions of negating Sadam, directly or indirectly. The plan is to do it without resorting to war if there is a chance to avoid bloodshed.

Just like their intentions of disarming Saddam. 12 years later, they're STILL finding undeclared weapons.

Pointless round about arguments. This is not changing either side’s opinions, just repeating them.

To clarify, France will not veto every proposal handed to the UN, it is not their function. They didn't veto the last Gulf war, or run away from Serbia and Croatia. They are, however, a country that will not be pushed into decisions (they are a bit strong willed about that).

But I do agree that the US has brought this quite rightly to the center stage. At the expense of the other human right violations, and genuine threats of terrorism, but quite right to force the hand in Iraq.

Originally posted by fafalone

1441 called for serious consequences if they didn't comply. War is a serious consequence, and they have not complied.

I think that one of the many lessons that should be learned from all this is that politicians and their pet lawyers need to stop using weasel words and ambiguous phrases in cynical attempts to cover their own arses. What the hell does 'serious consequenses' mean? What is the semantic and legal definition? Should this war go badly with many allied and civilian casualties, those who drafted the resolution can say "oh...by 'serious consequences' we never meant war...if we'd meant war, we would have said so" and if it is a quick, clean and successful strike (and I really hope it is) then they can say "Oh yes...war...that's exactly what we meant by 'serious consequences'".

'Serious consequences' could mean anything. If, when drafting 1441 they meant 'military action' or 'lethal force', then they should have f&@*&ing well said so...gutless bastards.

Arguments for or against war seem purely academic now. I just hope it is quick, as clean and with as few casualties as possible (civilian and military, on both sides) and that this time, the objective (the removal of Saddam Hussein and his cohort) is achieved.

Originally posted by blike

He GASSED a MILLION INNOCENT PEOPLE.

aah of course, during the Iran-Iraq war while the US was actively supporting Iraq (actually it was supporting both sides, just as a note, while remaining officially neutral)....

Don't forget that - it is important when supporting the anti-saddam argument by mentioning his war crimes.

He gassed a million people? What figures are you basing that wild assumption on? The gas attack at Halbja in 1988 caused an estimated 5000 casualties and reports indictae he used gas against iranian soldiers in the iran-iraq war but a million people? We all appreciate hes a genocidal arrogant dangerous leader but lets stick to accurate figures.

I think you mean March 1984 for the use of gas against Iranian troops. In March 1988 Hussain was accused of using mustard gas on rebellious Iraqi Kurdish villagers that he thought supported the Iranian's in the conflict. There was not much avalable evidence of the casualties, there is a lot of speculation in that area. I think enough died for the attacks to be classified as a risk (well, more than one casualty would do that).

It's a bit of an odd comment for Americans to cite the gas attacks as evidence that Hussain should be deposed, as Regan was giving Hussain the big thumbs up at the time. They were the best of buddies, and we all hated Iran. Now the situation has reversed.