Playstation 2 vs. modern computer

Genecks

As of late, I've been reading a lot about the Playstation 2. I have a Playstation 2, and I've been using the PCSX2 emulator as of late.

I got quickly annoyed by my situation to not play Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition when the emulator did not quickly play the game. I figured that my computer processor and the graphics card is much better than the graphics card and the CPU in the Sony Playstation 2.

So far, I've learned that Playstation 2 has a graphics synthesizer that appears to process the graphics much better than some modern graphics cards. I haven't been able to understand this. But I believe the reason for this is because of the architecture of the Playstation 2 mother board. For instance, the GPU and CPU and put on the motherboard closely together and this is different than the usual PCI architecture found on many modern computer. I suspect that's one main aspect that may be allowing the PS2 to have such high speed.

This is about the most technical thing I could find on the Internet about the Playstation 2 technology. I haven't been able to find much more information: http://arstechnica.com/features/2000/04/ps2vspc/

Edited by Genecks

• 2 weeks later...