God particle is 'found'

juanrga

Yes. John Ellis I think is keeping his mind open enough to speculate it might not even be a Higgs.

If what they found gives mass to matter then its the higgs; regardless of what they was expecting it to be. This is what i presume the speculation is about, them not finding what they expected.

I dont know the scientific know how about what they expected or the physics of what the higgs really is, just in leymans terms that its what gives mass to atoms.

Edited by KatzAndMice

If what they found gives mass to matter then its the higgs; regardless of what they was expecting it to be. This is what i presume the speculation is about, them not finding what they expected.

What is the meaning of "It is the Higgs".

1) Standard model or so is correct.

2) We live in the SUSY or similar world.

3) There is a Higgs field in the Universe.

etc.

It is not an easy world.

Edited by alpha2cen

CERN says it found a new particle and it is a boson. This alone is a remarkable achievement. But they say they need more analysis to know whether it is the Higgs boson predicted by the standard model of quantum mechanics or something more exotic. My bet is that it's the standard Higgs. See link:

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2012/jul/05/its-a-boson-but-what-sort

CERN says it found a new particle and it is a boson. This alone is a remarkable achievement. But they say they need more analysis to know whether it is the Higgs boson predicted by the standard model of quantum mechanics or something more exotic. My bet is that it's the standard Higgs. See link:

http://physicsworld....n-but-what-sort

I can't imagine how they could show evidence that this particle is the Higg's? or how they could even show evidence that this particle has stability with their equipment. I would think that it must be stable, long lived, to be the Higg's which somehow would provide mass to matter.

If they can somehow show evidence that it is a stable particle, then we would have two theoretical aetherial particles in the background field, dark matter and the Higg's. Or maybe some theorist(s) might propose that the Higg's could also be dark matter :)

//

Edited by pantheory

Curiosity : Do you know one relationship among Newtonian constant of gravitation , neutron mass (eV) ,proton mass (eV) and Higgs boson mass ? (regarding only significant figures ) :

Hm/(N+P) = G

Hm = [12532] , N = [939565] , P = [938272] , G = [66736]

What is the meaning of "It is the Higgs".

1) Standard model or so is correct.

2) We live in the SUSY or similar world.

3) There is a Higgs field in the Universe.

etc.

It is not an easy world.

There are no assertions yet other than that they have found a new particle (via its decay) that they think could be the theoretical Higg's particle. Put "Higg's particle" into a search engine and you'll see what they believe they are "looking for." To their credit, presently that's all the assertions they are willing to make. I think they don't want to fall into a potential trap with premature assertions like the "faster than light" neutrino innuendo, which some believe still has not been finally settled -- even though many others have put that idea to bed.

//

Edited by pantheory

There are no assertions yet other than that they have found a new particle (via its decay) that they think could be the theoretical Higg's particle. Put "Higg's particle" into a search engine and you'll see what they believe they are "looking for." To their credit, presently that's all the assertions they are willing to make. I think they don't want to fall into a potential trap with premature assertions like the "faster than light" neutrino innuendo, which some believe still has not been finally settled -- even though many others have put that idea to bed.

//

Their discovery is amazing. But, more test will be required we call it Higgs than Higgs-like. We do not know the particle property so well now.

Their discovery is amazing. But, more test will be required we call it Higgs than Higgs-like. We do not know the particle property so well now.

These will be quite a while coming. The spin is relatively easy to measure at the LHC; the couplings to other particles can be measured to some degree - probably not terribly accurately but enough to tell if the coupling are approximately proportional to the mass. The hard one will be measuring the Higgs boson self couplings. This is really the most important test because it is a reconstruction of the Mexican Hat potential itself. The triple Higgs coupling may be measurable at the LHC but the quartic coupling will not be.

I'm truly proud to have the higgs boson, "God damn!" Particle found in my life time! Best science news I've ever heard and I look forward to seeing if there are different types of particles, I never doubted it's existence and always treated the standard model as though it included the higgs boson particle, after all it had to exist but we just needed physical proof, now we have that we should be making remarkable leeps forward,.it's unbelievable that at the beginning of the universe in just a hundredth of a second the universe crammed full with these particles, amazing, truly amazing, I'm absolutely over the moon with this news x

This article suggests its not the Higgs, but the top quark "super-particle" or stop squark. Seems a bit premature to announce it, but what do I know.

http://physicsworld...._on_what_h.html

As I said before, I can't imagine how they could possibly provide "strong evidence" that this new, very short-lived particle could be the Higg's.

I am not a cynic nor do I like others being cynical either but :rolleyes: sometimes motivations can be validly questioned, and I think a little psychological analysis can't hurt much :)

They spent a lot of money on the super collider in CERN. One of the primary justifications for this expenditure was that it might be possible to "find" the Higg's that would provide strong evidence in favor of the standard model.

The saying goes like this: "If you want something bad enough it will appear." In this case it might be paraphrased as "If you want to find something bad enough it will "appear."

//

Edited by pantheory

Are there any other methods to prove the existence of Higgs' field. Higgs Boson making is only method to prove it? Do we find any related phenomena when we speed up a proton or an electron near the speed of light?

If neutrino had a mass and it's speed is C, it might give us a clue about Higgs' field.

How about Higgs Boson searching to be continued, and developing a new Higgs' field proving method?

Edited by alpha2cen

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.