Does the bible actually tell the future?

MrAndrew1337

Watch this video and discuss whether or not the bible might actually be an outline of the future.

It's my belief that God doesn't know the future. If he did then he wouldn't have regreted having created man just to wipe them out in a flood.

If you turn on your tv I find people like Barry Smith, Paul McGuire, Grant Jeffrey etc preaching 24*7 about this. As Moontanman says there are people out there who really want this to happen.

I didn't find the video in anyway interesting. However in a popular prophesy book called A Yogi's Prophetic vision an english translation says that the messaih who fix everything will be born in a Parsi nation also called as the Greater Iran.

I was unable to watch past the abominable grammar of "There are an amazing amount of prophecies."

War, pestilence, nation against nation, and all the rest have been a feature of life since humans got organised. The only special thing about today is that we are more destructive of ourselves and our environment than ever before. But that is in no way predicted by the Bible. Frankly the idea could be considered silly if it was not so downright dangerous.

But if god is what he claims to be. He doesn't have to build the future. All he has to do is map it. It's hard for me to explain. I hope you understand what I am saying.

The operational word here MrAndrew1337 is "if" there is no evidence of any gods or gods much less the one who supposedly inspired this stuff.

MrAndrew1337,

Mostly, I found it confusing, as to what the point was.

The prophecies cited were in no way specific, and have applied, as Ophiolite suggests, before, now and no doubt would be applicable in the future, since they mostly suggest continually present types of things.

Deadlines have come and gone in the past. And people are still around saying "the time is just around the corner". I dare say, that evidence suggests that I will die, before the world does.

And I have complete confidence that Christmas 2012 will come, dispite the Mayan's running out of patience or stone. (although that particular epoch ending moment was not brought up in the film)

But we did have in the film, conspiracy theories, black helicopters, equating Obama with the Devil, and other things like 'beware the new world order, chips implanted to control you, beware the illuminati", and other things basically to be afraid of. Not sure what the point of this is. Almost it is like the film is saying, if you are going to believe all this crap is being done behind your back, by people, imagine what God must be doing behind your back. He should "really" be feared, because he can shift the Earth's mantle, throw planets at you, and basically bring an end to everything if you piss him off...but he is going to do it anyway, no matter what you believe, or what you do, and he has already picked who he is going to take into heaven (those that fear him)...no those he chose...no those who are afraid of the Rockefellers...WHAT? What is the point. What is the message that the Bible is telling us so clearly, that the bible lays out for us so precisely that it can be nothing but the word of God? What?!

Can you make any sense of this message. What exactly is it telling YOU?

Regards, TAR2

What is it a warning of. That God is an asshole?

Edited by tar

The bible certainly makes testable predictions, for example Mark 11:12-14

" The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it."

Now there are two possible interpretations

Either Jesus was a moody git and was just cursing that single tree (which in the grand scheme of things is a bit pointless and hardly worth noting down for posterity)

or it was a curse on all fig trees- in which case it's plainly wrong.

Many people seem to think The Bible contains or is a work of genius due to things like prophecies that appear to come true. i think the real genius is in how people twist what the bible says to make it appear to be predicting the future. One particular supposed prophecy was and or is the rebirth of Israel,

I remember this being used to scare people into believing the Apocalypse was near because the bible said that so many generations after the establishment of Israel the world would end and that it was imminent. There was a lot of fear and apprehension involved and I was a small child, it was very terrifying. It turned out that to make the prediction appear to be true they had redefined what a human generation meant among other things.

This was accompanied by rumors that a couple of the revival leaders claimed that hitch hikers had been pickled up by several people only to suddenly claim in a loud voice that Jesus was coming soon and vanish out of the back seat of the cars. They had people whipped up into a real frenzy.

It was almost 50 years ago now and I don't remember the details very clearly but I found out years later that the people in the revival movement at the time had lied just to torque the minds of the people who came to the tent revivals who really didn't understand what was being asserted.

• 3 weeks later...

But if god is what he claims to be. He doesn't have to build the future. All he has to do is map it. It's hard for me to explain. I hope you understand what I am saying.

Let's take a look at where the Bible explicitly tries to tell the future. Hmmm......it seems that Tyre is still in existence. Sorry, no future seeing there.

Watch this video and discuss whether or not the bible might actually be an outline of the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39btKqMiqiQ

I like the "prophecy" at the beginning of the video that describes every moment since the dawn of human civilization.

• 2 weeks later...

the fact is that almost all of those things have been refuted or have little to no evidence to corroborate them.

the idea that someone might control the entire human population through chips is frighting and imho real.

in this video I saw many things that sounded frighting but no evidence the Illuminati exist.

no evidence that swine flue was made in a lab.

no evidence that colony collapse disorder has anything to do with anything.

this video is full of factual errors and logical fallacies.

• 3 weeks later...

It starts with a claim Physicist just recently found out is true.

Any guesses what that may be?

Well, I can look up how it starts, so perhaps that's cheating but it says

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. "

That's certainly a claim.

Now, can you let me know in what way this is a claim that "Physicist (sic) just recently found out is true"

I just ask because, if that were remotely close to true, I'd have expected to see it all over the news rather than announced by you on a website.

This famous physicist would agree with the beginning part. Not with the created part off course that is hotly contested but the beginning part seems to be true.

What is then so unreasonable for people to posit the hand of some supernatural agent as the basis of such a claim? How would you explain such a prediction? It was written in the Old Testament so what is that three thousand odd years ago? It certainly was not with regards to the thought about the cosmos at the time the accepted doctrine. You might disagree which is fine. It is after all just one hypothesis among many. I give it just as a rebuttal to those in this thread who claim that the Bible does not predict anything.

http://www.hawking.o...ng-of-time.html

Edited by afungusamongus

This famous physicist would agree with the beginning part. Not with the created part off course that is hotly contested but the beginning part seems to be true.

What is then so unreasonable for people to posit the hand of some supernatural agent as the basis of such a claim? How would you explain such a prediction? It was written in the Old Testament so what is that three thousand odd years ago? It certainly was not with regards to the thought about the cosmos at the time the accepted doctrine. You might disagree which is fine. It is after all just one hypothesis among many. I give it just as a rebuttal to those in this thread who claim that the Bible does not predict anything.

http://www.hawking.o...ng-of-time.html

1. But virtually every culture has a creation myth - humanity sees birth life death in almost everything around it and it is completely understandable to extend that cycle of creation existence destruction to the earth and the heavens. A creation story certainly was not against the spirit of the times

2. Even if the bible went into creditable and correct detail about the creation of the universe (and it does not) that would not be a prediction, it would be an explanation of a past event. A prediction should be of a future event or of a future observation of the consequences of a past event.