Why is there a reputation system?

Bolded mine. This is not true. We sometimes add a small bit at the end of a mod note asking members not to respond in thread, but instead to use the PM or the report feature. The reason for this is simply because responding in thread can massively derail it from the OP, which os obviously not something we want to have happen.

I disagree. Moderators tell me that the reason why they modedrate in opern forum, as opposed to PM, is because the alleged infraction happened in open forum. That's fine. But if the moderator is snippy in open forum then we too should be able to respond in open forum for the same reason. When a moderator snipes at a member it makes them not only look bad but causes negative emotions to emerge. This happens, to a large extent I imagine, because its has the feel of public ridicule. Satisfaction can't really be obtained until the people who reads the moderation can also read the members defense of it. We're not all cold stones with no feelings and emtions. We can get hurt just like anybody. be hurt pubicly can't be cured with private conversation for the fact that it was public ridicule. Comments such as exagerations llike

".. we are not here to serve your every whim"

".. back-seat moderating is not appropriate"

don't belong in a moderators comment. It's an exgeration because (1) nobody assumed that our whims should be paid attention to or even acknowledged and (2) it speaks of something as if its a recouring theme rather than a question for lack of not knowing another way to approach the subject. I was irritated by that remark and I don't need to be irritated since it causes chest pains.

In any case, there's just no call for moderators being snippity. They too should follow the forum rules when posting a moderation comment.

I am failing to see how this might relate to the comment of mine that you quoted.

You said that negative reps and moderation systems are completely different.

As a moderator, have you ever complained (To anyone) about it?

So please, just answer my question. Have you ever had a problem with anyone negatively repping you?

Comments such as exagerations llike

tell me about it. I hate these comments lol

1341763563[/url]' post='689334']

The greater percent maybe... does the lives of many outweigh the few? I think the unjustified nature, (the fact many do not justify their reasons) is reason enough to realize the system is at fault.

Just because they don't explicitly justify their reasons to you, does not mean that their reasons are unjustified.

1341763640[/url]' post='689336']

You said that negative reps and moderation systems are completely different.

As a moderator, have you ever complained (To anyone) about it?

So please, just answer my question. Have you ever had a problem with anyone negatively repping you?

They are. We don't neg rep people in place of warning them about rules violations as that is not what the reputation system is for, nor is it an effective way to ask a member not to do something. They are separate systems used for separate tasks, hence I see no relevance in your questions.

However, since you are so persistent, no I haven't complained about any neg rep I've received as I can normally figure out why I have received them and I see no reason to call someone out on it or to ask someone else to fix them. If another member happens along and disagrees with the way my posts have been repped, they might take it upon themselves to counter it, but that is entirely their prerogative and it is not something I have ever concerned myself with.

Just because they don't explicitly justify their reasons to you, does not mean that their reasons are unjustified.

They are. We don't neg rep people in place of warning them about rules violations as that is not what the reputation system is for, nor is it an effective way to ask a member not to do something. They are separate systems used for separate tasks, hence I see no relevance in your questions.

However, since you are so persistent, no I haven't complained about any neg rep I've received as I can normally figure out why I have received them and I see no reason to call someone out on it or to ask someone else to fix them. If another member happens along and disagrees with the way my posts have been repped, they might take it upon themselves to counter it, but that is entirely their prerogative and it is not something I have ever concerned myself with.

Again, I will ask, have you ever complained about the negative repping system to anyone? You are avoiding the question empirically.

1341764465[/url]' post='689340']

Again, I will ask, have you ever complained about the negative repping system to anyone? You are avoiding the question empirically.

I answered the question you asked of me in the post I quoted. To answer this question, to my knowledge, no I have not. Can I ask you what the relevance of this is to my post?

!

Moderator Note

Comments and discussions relating to moderator action do not really belong in this thread.

Please keep to the topic of the reputation action. I'd rather this thread didn't end in closure.

I answered the question you asked of me in the post I quoted. To answer this question, to my knowledge, no I have not. Can I ask you what the relevance of this is to my post?

You lie.

!

Moderator Note

Comments and discussions relating to moderator action do not really belong in this thread.

Please keep to the topic of the reputation action. I'd rather this thread didn't end in closure.

Wait a minute... mod action and reputation actions are different, don't close the thread because you don't like the subject.

If it is a mod who complains about reputation action, don't make the choice just because the subject is hitting home... you will pretty much put up with anything else!

Like some one verbally defiling someones dead mother... for instance.

1341765317[/url]' post='689347']

i was told off another member that you pulled them up them negatively repping your post.

Is this true or not?

No, it is not. This is once again off topic though. I would prefer that you place your baited questions in PM, unless they have relevance to the OP.

No, it is not. This is once again off topic though. I would prefer that you place your baited questions in PM, unless they have relevance to the OP.

Off topic? this is about you having a displeasure about the reputation system.... interesting response.

I call you a liar, unless the other poster is. In which case, it certainly is not off-topic and I will apologize if there is absolutely no truth behind it.

1341765628[/url]' post='689350']

Off topic? this is about you having a displeasure about the reputation system.... interesting response.

Really? Seems to me this is about what you assume is my displeasure with the neg rep system based off something that someone told you. This is hinting towards becoming personal, which is why I asked you to defer your questions - which do not seem related to the OP so much as directed at me specifically - to PM.

In the meantime, I have answered your questions for you.

!

Moderator Note

My mod actions are indifferent to the discussion as long as that discussion falls within the rules. My actions are also indifferent to those taking part in the discussion.

In thread is not the place to complain about mod actions on that thread. More generally this thread is not really the place for that discussion.

Really? Seems to me this is about what you assume is my displeasure with the neg rep system based off something that someone told you. This is hinting towards becoming personal, which is why I asked you to defer your questions - which do not seem related to the OP so much as directed at me specifically - to PM.

In the meantime, I have answered your questions for you.

No, you being a mod should not come in this thread all ''high and mighty'' about a subject with, which to me, seems clear you have values on. You either like or do not like the reputation system... better yet, why don't you be a backseat mod and only complain on the things you feel should?

This is certainly not off-subject, since you clearly have views about it. You want a PM? Yes, why not --- if there is no truth in the other persons claims, then you are quite right to speak it here instead of PM's where there will be no influences.

I disagree. Moderators tell me that the reason why they modedrate in opern forum, as opposed to PM, is because the alleged infraction happened in open forum. That's fine. But if the moderator is snippy in open forum then we too should be able to respond in open forum for the same reason. When a moderator snipes at a member it makes them not only look bad but causes negative emotions to emerge. This happens, to a large extent I imagine, because its has the feel of public ridicule. Satisfaction can't really be obtained until the people who reads the moderation can also read the members defense of it. We're not all cold stones with no feelings and emtions. We can get hurt just like anybody. be hurt pubicly can't be cured with private conversation for the fact that it was public ridicule. Comments such as exagerations llike

don't belong in a moderators comment. It's an exgeration because (1) nobody assumed that our whims should be paid attention to or even acknowledged and (2) it speaks of something as if its a recouring theme rather than a question for lack of not knowing another way to approach the subject. I was irritated by that remark and I don't need to be irritated since it causes chest pains.

In any case, there's just no call for moderators being snippity. They too should follow the forum rules when posting a moderation comment.

You recently observed that there was not enough feedback on moderation requests. Posting notes in threads is a form of feedback that certain behavior is being noticed and acted upon. We got rid of an older system that sent infraction notes directly to users because, in part, there was frustration from the perception that nothing was being done when people got out of line.

We try not to entertain a discussion of moderation because it derails the thread. It's invariably a pattern — an argument that one did not break the rules, instead of acknowledgement and modification of behavior. It's happened innumerable times. Most of the people who do it never change, and end up getting banned. But the primary goal is not derailing the thread. It's an odd choice — arguing how one didn't break the rules, or that one was justified in doing so, by breaking another rule.

I observed some time back that civility does not extend to walking on eggshells to accommodate fragile egos. I will extend that to health issues. I'm sorry that you have said issues, but I predict that's not going to change moderation policy. When the roller-coaster says don't ride the ride if you have a heart condition, you stay off the ride — you don't ask them to go really slowly to oblige you, at the expense of all the other riders' enjoyment. You simply don't go on the ride.

!

Moderator Note

My mod actions are indifferent to the discussion as long as that discussion falls within the rules. My actions are also indifferent to those taking part in the discussion.

In thread is not the place to complain about mod actions on that thread. More generally this thread is not really the place for that discussion.

What is the rules? It sounds like you have came in here shaking your scepter because you did not like the subject. But it heavily falls within the rules, this is about the reputation system, if you haven't noticed... whether the name ''mod'' falls into it shouldn't count.

1341766131[/url]' post='689356']

No, you being a mod should not come in this thread all ''high and mighty'' about a subject with, which to me, seems clear you have values on. You either like or do not like the reputation system... better yet, why don't you be a backseat mod and only complain on the things you feel should?

This is certainly not off-subject, since you clearly have views about it. You want a PM? Yes, why not --- if there is no truth in the other persons claims, then you are quite right to speak it here instead of PM's where there will be no influences.

I am not responding to the majority of this in accordance with the above mod note as well as due to reasons I have already stated.

I will however respond to your first sentence. Unless my text is surrounded by a green or red box, I'm not acting in my capacity as a moderator, I am approaching the thread as a member. Please do not confuse the two.

What is the rules? It sounds like you have came in here shaking your scepter because you did not like the subject. But it heavily falls within the rules, this is about the reputation system, if you haven't noticed... whether the name ''mod'' falls into it shouldn't count.

I keep seeing the comment off topic commng up when people want to ask questions about moderator actions. For that reason I started a new thread Moderating a forum which can be found at

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/67597-moderating-a-forum/page__view__getnewpost

I am not responding to the majority of this in accordance with the above mod note as well as due to reasons I have already stated.

I will however respond to your first sentence. Unless my text is surrounded by a green or red box, I'm not acting in my capacity as a moderator, I am approaching the thread as a member. Please do not confuse the two.

It's quite clear you have actually (Engaged or) disagreed with the response of negative reputation... if you hadn't, I would expect a totally different response from you.

I keep seeing the comment off topic commng up when people want to ask questions about moderator actions. For that reason I started a new thread Moderating a forum which can be found at

http://www.sciencefo...iew__getnewpost

I think of ''off-topic'' as the legal straw man. The only kind of straw man allowed.

Edited by Aethelwulf

!

Moderator Note

rule 2.5

I'd suggest you te read them.

!

Moderator Note

After a discussion of the staff we've decided to keep this closed. I think it'd be a good idea to allow the topic to cool off for a while before introducing it.

There is currently a discussion between the staff as to possible modifications to the reputation system based on some of the suggestions above. Whether these are feasible within the software and would have a more positive than negative effect is yet to be fully decided.