Why is there a reputation system?

I speak as a member, not a moderator, when I say that in my opinion, this thread has descended into petty bickering.

You have all made your points. I think it is time that we all agree to disagree, and leave it at that before people get angry and write something they'll regret later.

On the contrary. You did not claim 7, and you did say posts.

That was a guess at the time of that post.

In fact, you know fine well I went back to check and said it was seven negatives. You even qouted me saying this in post 142.

That was a guess at the time of that post.

In fact, you know fine well I went back to check and said it was seven negatives. You even qouted me saying this in post 142.

Yes, and since everybody had been talking about posts, I assumed you still were. You never said seven points.

Yes, and since everybody had been talking about posts, I assumed you still were. You never said seven points.

Yes I did. I said seven negatives. If I was speaking about posts, I would have said the word ''posts''.

Yes, it flew over their heads....?

That is technically an ad hominem attack. If that's your debate style so be it but don't complain when members neg rep you for this. That is normal for messengers that attack messengers in place of debating the message.

It's because no one accurately reads what I am saying!

Maybe the communication problem is your own. You might see what you're saying clearly but others may not. If you've not conveyed a message as clearly as you think others should see it does not mean it is automatically their fault.

Meh. I could recite plenty ad hominem attacks since I have been here. Others been so fantastically forthcoming that they haven't even been punished.

Aethelwulf - Take my word for itmy friend, don't continue. Any attempt at explain yourself and your point of view, regardless of the circumstances, always looks bad. Nobody can win under such circumstances. Just a friendly suggestion. :)

Yes I did. I said seven negatives. If I was speaking about posts, I would have said the word ''posts''.

One can apply the same standard and say that one would assume that if you meant points, you would have said points. But you didn't say points.

One can apply the same standard and say that one would assume that if you meant points, you would have said points. But you didn't say points.

In the beginning, I said posts, which was a pure guestimate. I came back and said seven negatives. You quoted me saying that. If you didn't understand how to differentiate between the words ''post'' and ''negatives'' that isn't my problem, but you sure are trying to make it one.

Now, you're a mod. Lock it please.

If you didn't understand how to differentiate between the words ''post'' and ''negatives'' that isn't my problem

In case you are genuinely curious and honestly seeking to improve, this is the type of comment I would seriously consider neg repping.

Not really wishing to stir a pot that is spinning down, but part of the appreciation of what you see must be linked to your reasons for wanting to be a member of this forum. Also what, if any, benefit you feel your membership may not only provide for others, but also of what benefit the others might be to you.

People with similar aspirations are likely to sense a sort of kinship, a bond if you like, and respond favourably when they seem to be "in tune" with what's going on.

For myself I have to say that as someone who is retired and never educated to degree level although I worked with, and even taught, in broadly scientific environments my main reason is little more that intelligent interaction. If I can help some student with a basic problem then that is very satisfying but really only "icing on the cake".

None of my friends, not even my wife, has any real interest in scientific matters. I'll just ask you to bear with me, especially when I try a bit of English humour!!

Edited by Joatmon

In case you are genuinely curious and honestly seeking to improve, this is the type of comment I would seriously consider neg repping.

That's cheap coming from you, who thinks it's acceptable to talk about other people mums ''being fucked''.

Now, you're a mod. Lock it please.

FYI,

Mods will only close a thread when the rules are broken, and a continuation of the thread would likely result in more violations of the rules. Other people also participated in this thread, and they might still want to continue the discussion. As far as I can see, there was only 1 intervention in this thread, which is insufficient to close it.

Since you are one of the more active people in this thread, it is not unlikely that the discussion will stop soon after you stop visiting the thread.

!

Moderator Note

On second thought (and reading the last post here), this discussion might have gotten so far off topic, and frankly out of hand, that closing the thread might not be the worst idea.

Thread closed pending review by other mods (specifically: mods who are not involved in the discussion).

That's cheap coming from you, who thinks it's acceptable to talk about other people mums ''being fucked''.

Wow, you've really gone round the Horn on that one. You realize, I hope, that when you put quotes around "being fucked", you're quoting yourself, because no one else in this thread used those words at all. You've taken a reference to your conception, a device used to imply something that had been around as long as you have ("It was all part of a big secret conspiracy we formed when your mom got knocked up") and blown it up so you're quoting it as iNow talking about fucking your dead mother. You had to completely change the meaning of what was said to you in order to justify your indignation.

This could be part of your reputation problem. People like it when you listen to them. They don't like it when you quite obviously shut off your speakers and dial up your microphone.

Wow, you've really gone round the Horn on that one.

No, he hasn't.

In Aethelwulf's favor, the term "knocked up" is sometimes vulgar. Multiple dictionaries concur. It connotes to some that the conception was animalistic, unplanned, and perhaps from an illicit relationship. "Conceived" is the non-emotional adjective. That wasn't the word that was used. An intentionally inflammatory, crude, and vulgar term was used instead. The subsequent apology was backhanded at best.

Is there a problem with the reputation system? Of course. Nothing's perfect. This thread exemplifies at least one problem. Multiple people upvoted the disparaging personal attack in post #128. There's another name for this: Bullying. The backhanded apology in post #130 also garnered an upvote.

Edited by D H

In everyone else's favor, Aethelwulf, your posts can be a bit (more than a bit) abrasive. You also post in areas that are naturally going to stir emotions, and some of your posts go against the religious/political biases of the frequent visitors to this site. People will downvote you even if it's not deserved in your mind.

One solution is to grow a thick skin and embrace your negative rep. Multiple members of this site apparently have done just that. Another solution is to become a milder, gentler version of Aethelwulf. Just don't be so abrasive! Attack the ideas rather than the people espousing those ideas.

Whichever route you take, do try to refrain from personal attacks. Too much of that can garner you something much worse than negative rep: A ban.

In everyone else's favor, Aethelwulf, your posts can be a bit (more than a bit) abrasive. You also post in areas that are naturally going to stir emotions, and some of your posts go against the religious/political biases of the frequent visitors to this site. People will downvote you even if it's not deserved in your mind.

One solution is to grow a thick skin and embrace your negative rep. Multiple members of this site apparently have done just that. Another solution is to become a milder, gentler version of Aethelwulf. Just don't be so abrasive! Attack the ideas rather than the people espousing those ideas.

Whichever route you take, do try to refrain from personal attacks. Too much of that can garner you something much worse than negative rep: A ban.

Well... yes. I did accept that talking about a God would indeed stir emotions.

I think it should not be a free ticket mind you, to slander my posts... (and yes) everyone else is right, I could try and stop being a **** about it sometimes. I feel a lot of the time I am being baited, especially in my second last thread. I don't think this will impede my ability to talk about physics, it might alter anyone's perception of me mind you being able to talk about physics. We will see.

In the end, I have no intentions to be negative intentionally... I respect many posters here. Some are simply here for questions, and since being here, I feel I have got to know many people, as much as they have got to know me. I think in the future, I will be more careful, not about the topics I choose, but to make absolutely sure that my topics are not misread.

I appreciate this newer post, because in spite of my OP, it shows there is no real favoritism, a point I might have been worried about in this forum, but has now been partially quelled.

i give my humble apologies to anyone I may have .... insulted.

Edited by Aethelwulf

I feel a lot of the time I am being baited

Which probably isn't the case most of the time. When people express opinions or interpretations that differ from yours, that's not baiting, that's the expected outcome of diversity. If one assumes it's baiting, though, things are likely to deteriorate.

Don't you just hate it when everyone starts listening to everyone else and behaving all rational and respecting the other members and apologising for any slights they may have caused. The next thing that will happen is inow will arrange for Interflora to deliver a single red rose to each of the participants in the thread. Let's go back to mindless flaming - you know it makes sense.

Don't you just hate it when everyone starts listening to everyone else and behaving all rational and respecting the other members and apologising for any slights they may have caused.

I'm so sorry. This onslaught of rationality appears to be my fault.

Let's go back to mindless flaming - you know it makes sense.

Yes, yes, yes! Well said, Ophiolite!

One last thing: Please, under no circumstances should you form a circle, hold hands, and start singing Kumbaya. Doing so produces the deadly treacle toxin.