Why is there a reputation system?

In fact... bringing my dead mum into things... should warrant a death sentence...

Fascinating that you would suggest such a thing, but even then... Your reading comprehension appears flawed. I didn't talk about your mom. I referenced your conception.

Fascinating that you would suggest such a thing, but even then... Your reading comprehension appears flawed. I didn't talk about your mom. I referenced your conception.

Yes?

'' It was all part of a big secret conspiracy we formed when your mom got knocked up.''

I personally think that comment was beyond personal... one which indeed should have a real punishment for.

So bad was that comment, If I was a mod... I would issue seven days.

Edited by Aethelwulf

I'm guessing you're about 16 or 17... Used to being the smartest guy in your class... Used to the people around you being foolish or ignorant by comparison. You're so used to being "correct" that you sometimes forget that there are times when you're wrong. You also probably struggle to conceive how you appear to people who are smarter than you. It's okay. You'll learn. Of that, I'm fairly certain.

So bad was that comment, If I was a mod... I would issue seven days.

It looks like the situation for me has improved, then. Only 5 minutes ago, it was offense worthy of death. Now it's just a week suspension. If I wait another 10 minutes, you might just neg rep me and move on... :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you're about 16 or 17... Used to being the smartest guy in your class... Used to the people around you being foolish or ignorant by comparison. You're so used to being "correct" that you sometimes forget that there are times when you're wrong. You also probably struggle to conceive how you appear to people who are smarter than you. It's okay. You'll learn. Of that, I'm fairly certain.

It looks like the situation for me has improved, then. Only 5 minutes ago, it was offense worthy of death. Now it's just a week suspension. If I wait another 10 minutes, you might just neg rep me and move on... :rolleyes:

You can shut the hell up. I am 30 years old.

YOU SPOKE ABOUT MY mom.If no one here in the power tells you off, I will indeed be surprised.

Best bit is... my whole points about the neg system is NOW PROVEN. Someone talks about my ''mom (who is dead) being knocked up...'' And then my post as a rebuttal is negatively repped... someone better involve themselves... who is a real mod here?

Okay. I was wrong about your age. My apologies. You do, however, seem quite emotional by my comment. Again, my apologies. I meant it to be light hearted, not to ruin your day like it appears to have done.

Someone talks about my ''mom (who is dead) being knocked up...''

Your mother was pregnant with you before you were born, was she not?

Okay. I was wrong about your age.

Your mother was pregnant with you before you were born, was she not?

you have no right to talk about my mum being knocked up... or being pregnant ... who the fuck do you think you are?

I am so angry right now... I hope this ******** Troll is banished for a good couple of weeks.

Was your mother not pregnant with you before you were born?

Why is my mother a factor... you've said worse about my mother outside of this .... I actually liked the mods here and I couldn't believe for a second you could be allowed such... insinuations.

All I insinuated is that your mother was once pregnant with you. I used it as a time reference. I was mocking you, yes... I was saying that we all secretly ganged up to form the reputation system here just to annoy you, and that it's been a big conspiracy since you were conceived... or, less politely, since "your mom got knocked up."

It truly fascinates me that you're responding the way you are, even after I apologized. Can't please everyone, I suppose.

The only thing I was not capable of ''proving'' was some definate statistic of a God existing, but many of my posts where negatively repped when I argued the evidence against a God does not mean we have the right to say it is improbable.

If you think.as a matter of your opinion that there is likely.a.god that's fine. If you proffered that it the likelyhood of a deity existing is statistically greater than zero then you are making a positive assertion and you need to support it or admit.that that you can't. In my opinion, your opinion should not be negrepped. Making an assertion though and refusing to back it up deserves a.neg rep. It reinforces the rule that assertions need to be supported.

BTW, this post is unbiased on this particular point since I've not given you any rep in that thread or reviewed any rep you've received.

*Note that this is an unofficial mod warning, as I have participated heavily in the thread.*

Moontanman and Aethelwolf, cut it out.

Calling someone an arrogant asshole or saying they are acting like one is an insult, Moontanman, and you should know better. Your comment was out of line.

Aethelwolf, calm down and start acting your damned age. The comment was reported, though (weirdly enough) not by you. If you take issue with something like that, report it, ignore it and let us deal with it.

!

Moderator Note

Let me make this official.

Everyone needs to calm down and be civil. inow, probably best not to mention his mum, it appears to be an emotional point.

I'd appreciate it if the backseat moderating stopped. If youhave a problem with a post report it and the moderators will investigate.

Please do not reply to this modnote.

If you think.as a matter of your opinion that there is likely.a.god that's fine. If you proffered that it the likelyhood of a deity existing is statistically greater than zero then you are making a positive assertion

Why wouldn't it be greater than zero? I mean, we have no evidence against God. No real positive evidence for God...

Making an assertion though and refusing to back it up deserves a.neg rep. It reinforces the rule that assertions need to be supported.

Agreed... I did however answer every question to the best of my knowledge. Only thing I couldn't do was give an exact statistic on God. Hardly a crime.

!

Moderator Note

I know there's some overlap here, but I think it'd be easier and more worthwhile to keep the "is there a non-zero probability for god" type questions to the other thread.

if you really know what you are talking about - rep is meaningless and I've never seen anyone banned for having - rep.

I will confirm that this the case during my tenure, and I suspect this is true for the entire history of the forum. Reputation is not a factor in the deliberations — I don't recall it ever coming up. What matters is rules violations.

Before I said I want these posts held. I still want these posts correctly evaluated.

I wil go through them myself until... I see some kind of correlation.

Well? How many did you find?

Why wouldn't it be greater than zero? I mean, we have no evidence against God. No real positive evidence for God...

None for, none against would be zero wouldn't it? Why would the probability for existence be greater than zero with zero supporting evidence?

Go right ahead. I listed the four in my earlier post, and mentioned a the fifth just a few posts ago. Post #26, #28 , #31 , #35. You posted #71 earlier today and it garnered neg rep. That's five. zapatos got the same answer.

What posts did I miss?

Here's the 5 I found:

The lack of evidence is not evidence against. Something you will learn in science friend.

You are arguing it seems, that a total lack of evidence makes a God improbable. As a basic argument, I find it... unsubstantial. It sounds almost like your are justifying your position by a lack of evidence, which is why I said what I said.

There can be loads of reasons why we have no direct evidence of God, if one exists. Just as much as I don't know what color of bra the pop singer Madonna wore at the weekend.

...What are you on about? I am quite aware of the methods of science, which is why I am disappointed in you and others being so dogmatic in your ways enough to say God is ''improbable''. Why should God be measurable? God is in the leagues of parallel universes. We may never be able to measure them directly but we still theorize on their possibilities and we hardly say things like ''they are improbable.'' I think most of you need classes again in the world of science where keeping an open mind is invaluable.

And my claim about the bra, is that I can't tell you what color it was, but I'm not going to say its improbable that she even wore one.

(And whoever keeps making negatives to my posts, grow up.)

These ''counting systems'' for the quality of posts are childish. It just shows you can't have a reasonable discussion without showing stupid emotions over something. I'd understand it if I have said something amazingly thick.

...This point has obviously flew over the heads with most of you.

All seem to be condescending. I'm not surprised they gotten the negative votes that they have...

Edited by doG

None for, none against would be zero wouldn't it? Why would the probability for existence be greater than zero with zero supporting evidence?

Here's the 5 I found:

All seem to be condescending. I'm not surprised they gotten the negative votes that they have...

I'm surprised I've actually spent the amount of hours re-explaining my self in that thread, never mind the negative rep points!

I have just had to explain again, in my thread it was built on suppositions, that ''IF a God exists'' not that it was normally within the realms of science, only that we where in this thread entertaining that possibility.

Yes, it flew over their heads and would you like to know why? It's because no one accurately reads what I am saying!

And yes, keeping an open mind is invaluable. The very first set of responses I got where quite frankly... incredible.

But! Would you like to know what I find even more incredible... is how the user inow can come in here, make remarks about my mother being fucked and then conceiving me and all he gets is a polite, ''best not to talk about that... it seems like a touchy subject.''

Who in their right mind, goes about talking about someone elses parents being fucked? It's disrespectful... among a great many other things.

26...........-2

28...........-1

31...........-2

35...........-1

71...........-1

7 or 5 ?

C'mon folks we are adult scientists here, not politicians.

We should all be able to see through the "How many sheep in a field argument", which runs

Look in the field how many sheep do you see?

Three

What if I tell you one is a lamb?

26...........-2

28...........-1

31...........-2

35...........-1

71...........-1

7 or 5 ?

C'mon folks we are adult scientists here, not politicians.

We should all be able to see through the "How many sheep in a field argument", which runs

Look in the field how many sheep do you see?

Three

What if I tell you one is a lamb?

I specifically said seven negatives. I didn't state over which or how many posts.

I specifically said seven negatives. I didn't state over which or how many posts.

On the contrary. You did not claim 7, and you did say posts.

You pointed out two posts Swansont. I have around 10 maybe more posts that have negatively repped in there.