Why is there a reputation system?

We usually use base 10 as the default for conversations around here.

I count five, and one happened after I posted my summary. I reviewed all four posts that had been neg-repped at that time. But for the last one, "This point has obviously flew over the heads with most of you" is condescending. So you can include it with the previous analysis.

Well I will say it again, its obviously HAD flew over the heads of people. I made points on hidden ''computer terms'' inside of equations. But no one picked up on that. Condescending to the next, it was obviously the truth.... and that was one of the most recent posts you are picking up on. There are plenty neg repped points before this on posts that did not require it.

best bit, I even explained later that I considered everyone capable of understanding these points, but not expanding their minds enough to understand, to show this was not an attack on anyone intelligence. An attack rather they do not appreciate or thinking really what I am saying.

I counted five that have been neg repped.

Well you must be missing a few out, because my positive rep was higher than that. I think because it was a ''religious'' topic (if you even want to call it that). I have people on one side who simply do not listen, then I have people that do not listen but eventually realize what I am saying.. like Ecoli. I think in the end, we kind of saw eye-to-eye. Respect almost.

Point?
Several - a possible correlation between the social and intellectual skills displayed by such a humble and well thought-through statement to the negative votes you receive being one of them.

Several - a possible correlation between the social and intellectual skills displayed by such a humble and well thought-through statement to the negative votes you receive being one of them.

Who is not humble? I certainly don't go around this place bringing people down on a better understanding. I know of one post recently where I said no one was understanding what I was saying, but later revealed I do not believe no one is capable of understanding. Thought-out? I think my God-thread was thought out. And that was not several... that was like.... four.

I still think your previous point that long term members here have really good reputation points as a bit... pointless (mind the pun) for anyone else because favoritism as being their crutch. No one here deserves neg points unless they really deserve it, but I've seen plenty posts in my God post which really don't deserve it outside of what you could call... ''someone simply disagreeing''.

Neg points are a ''crap'' way of saying something without giving a reason. You can recite plenty reasons why someone will negatively rep someone... does that mean they are under those catagories because easily people come here with the intend of just discrediting someone.

Edited by Aethelwulf

I think that this place would be a much better place if we all respected eveyone else and were as humble as we could be, no matter how smart or how knowledgable we think we are.. There comes A time where someone will be certain of something and we may believe that they are so wrong that the truth its smacking them upside the head. They just might believe that they are right so much that it hurts. Even thought it may be something as simple as "the momentum of a free partical of proper mass m is p = mv/srqt(1 - v^2/c^2)" and they might tell us we're wrong. Well so what? We don't have to convince anybody that we're right. All we have to do is our best.

In the past I used to keep talking until I could get them to acknowledge what is clearly found straight out of a text. I don't know why I felt I had to do that. t I don't work like that anymore.

I think we should be polite and patient and as helpful as we can and not be so stubborn as to think we need to get people to agree with us.

What do you folks think about that?

Best wishes,

Pete

Who is not humble? I certainly don't go around this place bringing people down on a better understanding. I know of one post recently where I said no one was understanding what I was saying, but later revealed I do not believe no one is capable of understanding. Thought-out? I think my God-thread was thought out. And that was not several... that was like.... four.

I still think your previous point that long term members here have really good reputation points as a bit... pointless (mind the pun) for anyone else because favoritism as being their crutch. No one here deserves neg points unless they really deserve it, but I've seen plenty posts in my God post which really don't deserve it outside of what you could call... ''someone simply disagreeing''.

Neg points are a ''crap'' way of saying something without giving a reason. You can recite plenty reasons why someone will negatively rep someone... does that mean they are under those catagories because easily people come here with the intend of just discrediting someone.

I went to your thread, I had avoided it because I have been a bit tired of god exists threads and from your first post I was sure that either you were just another godfly or so far above my head I had no idea what you were talking about but after reading the entire thread I discovered that you deserved every - reputation point you got and then some.

Just because you are more intelligent or think you are more intelligent does not give you a free pass to be an arrogant (not allowed word). You come across as trollish even if you really do know what you are talking about and the god of the gaps is always a weak position. Your lack of support for your own god of the gaps assertion shows you either have none or are trolling...

If you do indeed have this information then tell us what it is, if it has to be in tiny baby bites so we can understand then so be it but arrogantly trying to ram the idea that you know and we don't with no support is trolling...

So far i have not seen anyone with real knowledge refuse to try and explain their knowledge in terms that can be understood and I am sure that even if i can't at least some of the people here could understand if it was presented simply enough... :rolleyes:

Edited by Moontanman

I went to your thread, I had avoided it because I have been a bit tired of god exists threads and from your first post I was sure that either you were just another godfly or so far above my head I had no idea what you were talking about but after reading the entire thread I discovered that you deserved every - reputation point you got and then some.

Just because you are more intelligent or think you are more intelligent does not give you a free pass to be an arrogant asshole.

Shut up... I was not really arrogant.

Just come to realize that my opinions on God does not make me flawed... you read the OP, how does that deserve every neg rep I got?

From your own post, you got a neg rep... I don't understand your condescending attitude. I am far from perfect, but because I said a word against some people who where equally annoying, like telling me either I am condescending or I speak a different language (ad hominem), I think you need to sit back and take a few breaths. The fact you have ignored my post on the basis of seeing it as a ''godfly'' post tells me you are highly biased from the outset. You want me to big headed, give me some more reasons to be..... because trust me friend, you are heading that way.

I think that this place would be a much better place if we all respected eveyone else and were as humble as we could be, no matter how smart or how knowledgable we think we are.. There comes A time where someone will be certain of something and we may believe that they are so wrong that the truth its smacking them upside the head. They just might believe that they are right so much that it hurts. Even thought it may be something as simple as "the momentum of a free partical of proper mass m is p = mv/srqt(1 - v^2/c^2)" and they might tell us we're wrong. Well so what? We don't have to convince anybody that we're right. All we have to do is our best.

In the past I used to keep talking until I could get them to acknowledge what is clearly found straight out of a text. I don't know why I felt I had to do that. t I don't work like that anymore.

I think we should be polite and patient and as helpful as we can and not be so stubborn as to think we need to get people to agree with us.

What do you folks think about that?

Best wishes,

Pete

Hey pete, I have tried to be humble. Sometimes, out of human error, I might say something which was out of context or may come across as big headed. However, in light of that, I did come back and say... ''I know you guys are capable'' type and that ''please start thinking about what you are saying'' type. In a rep system, no one gives you that opportunity.

As I said before, Ecoli eventually started to understand what I was saying, others before this realized different and negged my post's.

Shut up... I was not really arrogant.

Oh yes you were... <_<

Just come to realize that my opinions on God does not make me flawed... you read the OP, how does that deserve every neg rep I got?

Quite the contrary your opinions on the existence of god has nothing to do with the rep you got, it was the fact that you are asserting what is essentially a god of the gaps argument and failing miserably to support it.

From your own post, you got a neg rep... I don't understand your condescending attitude. I am far from perfect, but because I said a word against some people who where equally annoying, like telling me either I am condescending or I speak a different language (ad hominem), I think you need to sit back and take a few breaths. The fact you have ignored my post on the basis of seeing it as a ''godfly'' post tells me you are highly biased from the outset. You want me to big headed, give me some more reasons to be..... because trust me friend, you are heading that way.

Unlike you - rep doesn't bother me, I view it as learning experience and do my best to understand why i got it, yes sometimes it's not fair or given because of lack of understanding, but you on the other hand whine like a small child... I did not claim you were a godfly, i just said that I didn't feel qualified to tell if you were a godfly or had the information you asserted but after reading the thread it became apparent you do not...

I think someone else already pointed it out but your assertion of god adds nothing to the total sum of human knowledge and in fact simply adds another level of unnecessary complexity to the problem.

Just because you are more intelligent or think you are more intelligent does not give you a free pass to be an arrogant a$*hole.

That language is forbidden by the forum rules. Please edit it out. Thanks.

I don't know how you formed that opinion. I've been reading his posts when I have a chance and they seem fine to me. And I talk to him in PM and he seems like a very pleasant person. I can't imagine how you formed that opinion.

Edited by pmb

I think I'll let a moderator decide that, (insert bad word here) might be slang but I am pretty sure it's not profanity... and since i did not make the assertion that he was an (insert bad word here) but was acting like one i don't think i attacked him personally.

I was wrong, i apologize...

Edited by Moontanman

I think I'll let a moderator decide that, asshole might be slang but I am pretty sure it's not profanity... and since i did not make the assertion that he was an asshole but was acting like one i don't think i attacked him personally.

It is forbidden. Not that I care now, please moderators, do as you wish.

Mind... you... if I WAS big-headed, then respect the forum rules and issue a warning.

Quite the contrary your opinions on the existence of god has nothing to do with the rep you got, it was the fact that you are asserting what is essentially a god of the gaps argument and failing miserably to support it.

Unlike you - rep doesn't bother me, I view it as learning experience and do my best to understand why i got it, yes sometimes it's not fair or given because of lack of understanding, but you on the other hand whine like a small child... I did not claim you were a godfly, i just said that I didn't feel qualified to tell if you were a godfly or had the information you asserted but after reading the thread it became apparent you do not...

I think someone else already pointed it out but your assertion of god adds nothing to the total sum of human knowledge and in fact simply adds another level of unnecessary complexity to the problem.

Nothing to do with the rep I got? I think I at least have one other person who agrees that I got negative points because of the nature of the post...

''Unlike you - rep doesn't bother me, ''

No? Give me a minute to check what rep you have and then check whether any new-comer here will evaluate you in such a way, shall I?

really... hold on.

It is forbidden. Not that I care now, please moderators, do as you wish.

Mind... you... if I WAS big-headed, then respect the forum rules and issue a warning.

Nothing to do with the rep I got? I think I at least have one other person who agrees that I got negative points because of the nature of the post...

''Unlike you - rep doesn't bother me, ''

No? Give me a minute to check what rep you have and then check whether any new-comer here will evaluate you in such a way, shall I?

really... hold on.

Knock your self out...

A very nice statistic... 646 rep points (the positive way) no... indeed, it does not bother you...

HAHAHAHA!

What a laugh. I bet the idea of banishing such a point system even in the slightest bothers you, psychologically of course.

A very nice statistic... 646 rep points (the positive way) no... indeed, it does not bother you...

HAHAHAHA!

What a laugh. I bet the idea of banishing such a point system even in the slightest bothers you, psychologically of course.

Seriously Aethelwulf, I never pretended to be anything but the lowest of the low on this totem pole. I am here to learn, i have managed to learn a few things and try to share them, rep points truly do me no good what so ever, 10 to the 10th power + rep points will never change who i am or shore up my lack of education or knowledge... btw I did not give you - rep for that post, i reserve - rep for real trolls and I've given mine today to someone who really deserves it...

Edited by Moontanman

HAHAHAHA!

I'm glad you mentioned this. I checked my own and it seems that I'm out of the red and into the green. I guess I do like it. :D

Understand... I have no personal dislike of you... i am quite easily challenged by many here..

BUT...

I won't have someone telling me I am big headed when I know fine well that I sit around the less fortunate nowadays (not here, in everyday life) and I certainly don't bring them down. If I do that with someone, then they deserve it. I won't sit around and listen to your posts which are an attempt to bring me down.

I try and be stronger than this... but as one poster said before... those who have been here a long time get good reports no matter what!

Time for a change perhaps?

Seriously Aethelwulf, I never pretended to be anything but the lowest of the low on this totem pole. I am here to learn, i have managed to learn a few things and try to share them, rep points truly do me no good what so ever, 10 to the 10th power + rep points will never change who i am or shore up my lack of education or knowledge... btw I did not give you - rep for that post, i reserve - rep for real trolls and I've given mine today to someone who really deserves it...

I hope I am right, in believing you are not.... however, making attacks like you have gives me a serious dislike to this place.

The neg points in this place are clearly flawed. Positive points can also be misplaced... based on the fact it could be just someone you like without little knowledge. It probably happens lest, because of peoples naturally attitude to act on emotions targeted on people they don't like. Mans nature is often to attack and correct. Reputation points are there to highlight that.

Edited by Aethelwulf

Understand... I have no personal dislike of you... i am quite easily challenged by many here..

BUT...

I won't have someone telling me I am big handed when I know fine well that I sit around the less fortunate nowadays (not here, in everyday life) and I certainly don't bring them down. If I do that with someone, then they deserve it. I won't sit around and listen to your posts which are an attempt to bring me down.

I try and be stronger than this... but as one poster said before... those who have been here a long time get good reports no matter what!

i managed to pick three or four - rep points just for taking you to task on your attitude... I've been here for several years... go figure...

*Note that this is an unofficial mod warning, as I have participated heavily in the thread.*

Moontanman and Aethelwolf, cut it out.

Calling someone an arrogant asshole or saying they are acting like one is an insult, Moontanman, and you should know better. Your comment was out of line.

Aethelwolf, calm down and start acting your damned age. The comment was reported, though (weirdly enough) not by you. If you take issue with something like that, report it, ignore it and let us deal with it.

BUT...

I won't have someone telling me I am big headed when I know fine well that I sit around the less fortunate nowadays (not here, in everyday life) and I certainly don't bring them down. If I do that with someone, then they deserve it. I won't sit around and listen to your posts which are an attempt to bring me down.

I hope I am right, in believing you are not.... however, making attacks like you have gives me a serious dislike to this place.

The neg points in this place are clearly flawed. Positive points can also be misplaced... based on the fact it could be just someone you like without little knowledge. It probably happens lest, because of peoples naturally attitude to act on emotions targeted on people they don't like. Mans nature is often to attack and correct. Reputation points are there to highlight that.

Ok, I'll apologize, and I mean it, I was out of line but if you really know what you are talking about - rep is meaningless and I've never seen anyone banned for having - rep. I would never allow - rep to change my mind if i had evidence I was right.

I don't know how you formed that opinion. I've been reading his posts when I have a chance and they seem fine to me. And I talk to him in PM and he seems like a very pleasant person. I can't imagine how you formed that opinion.

I did you were correct and i apologize..

Ok, I'll apologize, and I mean it, I was out of line but if you really know what you are talking about - rep is meaningless and I've never seen anyone banned for having - rep. I would never allow - rep to change my mind if i had evidence I was right.

I did you were correct and i apologize..

OK. I am sorry for getting aggresive... however, I still believe that rep points are not meaningless. They are obviously there to give meaning on a character, especially to outsiders who do not know off-hand what those posters say about those posters in general. This is my point.... you could post amazing things all day, but then some little no-good outsider might decide your future and respect here because you have, lets say a -14 to your posts.... but what if you are teaching people which deserve better? I think swansont pointed this fact out. I seriously don't want people judging me on something which I honestly speculate about, especially if it is in the right area of speculation.

OK. I am sorry for getting aggresive... however, I still believe that rep points are not meaningless. They are obviously there to give meaning on a character, especially to outsiders who do not know off-hand what those posters say about those posters in general. This is my point.... you could post amazing things all day, but then some little no-good outsider might decide your future and respect here because you have, lets say a -14 to your posts.... but what if you are teaching people which deserve better? I think swansont pointed this fact out. I seriously don't want people judging me on something which I honestly speculate about, especially if it is in the right area of speculation.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on that, i have never in the years that I've been here looked at someone rep points before debating them or to see if they might be right. Evidence speaks volumes...

Well I will say it again, its obviously HAD flew over the heads of people. I made points on hidden ''computer terms'' inside of equations. But no one picked up on that. Condescending to the next, it was obviously the truth.... and that was one of the most recent posts you are picking up on. There are plenty neg repped points before this on posts that did not require it.

best bit, I even explained later that I considered everyone capable of understanding these points, but not expanding their minds enough to understand, to show this was not an attack on anyone intelligence. An attack rather they do not appreciate or thinking really what I am saying.

Well you must be missing a few out, because my positive rep was higher than that. I think because it was a ''religious'' topic (if you even want to call it that). I have people on one side who simply do not listen, then I have people that do not listen but eventually realize what I am saying.. like Ecoli. I think in the end, we kind of saw eye-to-eye. Respect almost.

It's easy enough to go back and count. You've either not done that (and are making claims anyway) or you've egregiously miscounted.

It's easy enough to go back and count. You've either not done that (and are making claims anyway) or you've egregiously miscounted.

Or you are egregiously misplaced; Shall we go back and see what points I got? I don't mind doing that. While we are it, I don't mind seeing other negatively repped posts by others?

Or you are egregiously misplaced; Shall we go back and see what points I got? I don't mind doing that.

Go right ahead. I listed the four in my earlier post, and mentioned a the fifth just a few posts ago. Post #26, #28 , #31 , #35. You posted #71 earlier today and it garnered neg rep. That's five. zapatos got the same answer.

What posts did I miss?

The system was obviously put in place to make your perfect little life less so, Aethelwulf. It was all part of a big secret conspiracy we formed when your mom got knocked up.

ad hominem?

hold... these conversations....

Go right ahead. I listed the four in my earlier post, and mentioned a the fifth just a few posts ago. Post #26, #28 , #31 , #35. You posted #71 earlier today and it garnered neg rep. That's five. zapatos got the same answer.

What posts did I miss?

Before I said I want these posts held. I still want these posts correctly evaluated.

I wil go through them myself until... I see some kind of correlation.

The system was obviously put in place to make your perfect little life less so, Aethelwulf.

yes, you bought me these rose tinted glasses (Like any newcomer)... this is after all, the world you heavily defend.... we shall see...

And Inow's post... wow... if that is even accepted here... definately one of these worst posts I have ever seen here.

Inow has no right to talk about m ''mom''.... Inthink he should be not only be negatively repped, but banned for 3 days... Ib take VERY personal to that, since my mom my dead.

The system was obviously put in place to make your perfect little life less so, Aethelwulf. It was all part of a big secret conspiracy we formed when your mom got knocked up.

In fact... bringing my dead mum into things... should warrant a death sentence...

But if he apologizes... I will admit his continuation here.