How to make a batch file private.

morgsboi

Hi, I've been making this simple text-based game and I was wondering how to make the coding private. I know that if you right click and click 'Edit in notepad' it will bring up all the coding. How can I stop this? I know in C++ you can write 'private:' and the coding won't show up when trying to decompile but how do I do it in a batch file? Thanks.

You can try using Bat2Exe, but I've read that its not too efficient and can be problematic in Windows 7(in case you're using it). Another option is obfuscating your code to make it unreadable in hopes that nobody will take the time to unobfuscate it.

As far as I know, the c++ keyword "private" has nothing to do with preventing your code from reverse engineering. It is a keyword realizing an object oriented programming paradigm (encapsulation) that marks certain parts of the respective object (more precisely: class) to be accessible only by other parts of the object, but not from the outside (more precisely: not from outside the same class).

Hi, I've been making this simple text-based game and I was wondering how to make the coding private.

Write your own programming language and don't share it with anyone.....

As far as I know, the c++ keyword "private" has nothing to do with preventing your code from reverse engineering. It is a keyword realizing an object oriented programming paradigm (encapsulation) that marks certain parts of the respective object (more precisely: class) to be accessible only by other parts of the object, but not from the outside (more precisely: not from outside the same class).

indeed, or methods / functions mainly for validating purposes, where the said class/method/function might be effected elsewhere and false data shown, such as date validation where we use yyyy/mm/dd instead of yyyy/dd/mm

anyway in relation to the topic why are you using a batch file in the first place? you can always change the extension to a random type then people wont be expected to open it. i.e. mygame.bat to eltonjohn.mp8

other than that you can turn your code into something unreadable; only by yourself, such as stupid/backwards variable names and complex looping. ALSO im sure you can password protect files on windows else folders, so ZIP it or such and password the folder......

anyway no offence but if its a batch game NO ONE will want to steal it

Batch is only a scripting language, the source isn't meant to be hidden. While compiled languages such as C++ has a hidden source in a general sense, it can still be reverse engineered and disassembled with a debugger

Do you mind if I ask why you want to hide your source code?

I don't want it to be stolen. I'm creating a text based adventure game. :)

Oh, I got a bit mixed up with the C++ "private".... just to clear things up.

I don't want it to be stolen. I'm creating a text based adventure game. :)

Oh, I got a bit mixed up with the C++ "private".... just to clear things up.

Not to sound offensive, but why would anyone want to steal a shell based game? when we can develop in open source 3D game engines with community's offering open source code for the games

why not make a shell game in python? you can then expand into graphics

Not to sound offensive, but why would anyone want to steal a shell based game? when we can develop in open source 3D game engines with community's offering open source code for the games

why not make a shell game in python? you can then expand into graphics

I'm going 'classic mode'. :P