Mitt Romney - Vietnam draft dodger

Moontanman

• 5 weeks later...

Do we want a draft dodger for president?

Where do you get this kind of garbage Moon? I don't care much for Romney either, but to hear this "IDIOT" lash out at anyone he pleases, is atrocious. Where did this fuckhead spend his time these past 10 to 12 years? The jerk is only hoping to get another paycheck from people like you before he's found out to be the ass he is. I want to vomit when he speaks. On top of that, where the hell was Obama during the same time frame? Edited by rigney

Where do you get this kind of garbage Moon? I don't care much for Romney either, but to hear this "IDIOT" lash out at anyone he pleases, is atrocious. Where did this fuckhead spend his time these past 10 to 12 years? The jerk is only hoping to get another paycheck from people like you before he's found out to be the ass he is. I want to vomit when he speaks. On top of that, where the hell was Obama during the same time frame?

For the record, President Obama was a minor during the Vietnam conflict. He turned 18 in 1979 - 4 years after the end of the conflict.

Where do you get this kind of garbage Moon? I don't care much for Romney either, but to hear this "IDIOT" lash out at anyone he pleases, is atrocious. Where did this fuckhead spend his time these past 10 to 12 years? The jerk is only hoping to get another paycheck from people like you before he's found out to be the ass he is. I want to vomit when he speaks. On top of that, where the hell was Obama during the same time frame?

So, the truth of the matter matters not to you but the the fact that you don't like the message bearer is more important? Rigney, i can't believe you would rather accept lies than the truth no matter where it comes from... Sometimes the truth is not what we want to believe and sometimes it's brought by people we don't like but the facts speak for themselves...

Edited by Moontanman

Romney was born in 1947, Obama in 1961. So: grade school and middle school. You aren't draft eligible when you're ~12

I didn't question his elgibility for Viet Nam, only where the hell has he been for the past 15 years, the same as this ranting, worthless idiot impersonating a news reporter? Edited by rigney

So, the truth of the matter matters not to you but the the fact that you don't like the message bearer is more important? Rigney, i can't believe you would rather accept lies than the truth no matter where it comes from... Sometimes the truth is not what we want to believe and sometimes it's brought by people we don't like but the facts speak for themselves...

That's not the way you portrayed Colonel West, Moon? At best, your analysis was hypocritical until you realised you had screwed up.

That's not the way you portrayed Colonel West, Moon? At best, your analysis was hypocritical until you realised you had screwed up.

No not at all, I actually mistook him for someone else, Colonel West has his own problems, i wonder if you would have been so active in your attack if Cenk had been taking crap about Obama, he gives him hell regularly...

I didn't question his elgibility for Viet Nam, only where the hell has he been for the past 15 years, the same as this ranting, worthless idiot impersonating a news reporter?

He's been the president and a senator.

I assume that "do we want a draft dodger as president" is a rhetorical question. But out of curiosity: how many people in the US would count not participating in the Vietnam war as a strength of character?

It seems like TYT is objecting more to the hypocrisy of being pro-vietnam when it was going on but not actually doing anything about it than the fact he dodged the draft.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons why people would dodge the draft that don't make them bad people. But his reasons are a bit weak. He's saying 'Oh I wanted to go, but my hands were tied' Basically, he's lying about what he really thought about the war. I think if he'd just said 'yeah, i didn't want to go to war' then TYT wouldn't have attacked him on it because it's the truth. Of course, that would be political suicide among the voters.

but anyway, from looking at the news from the US, there seems to be plenty of reasons not to vote republican other than romney didn't want to go to vietnam. republicans seem crazy and almost clownish from here.

It seems like TYT is objecting more to the hypocrisy of being pro-vietnam when it was going on but not actually doing anything about it than the fact he dodged the draft.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons why people would dodge the draft that don't make them bad people. But his reasons are a bit weak. He's saying 'Oh I wanted to go, but my hands were tied' Basically, he's lying about what he really thought about the war. I think if he'd just said 'yeah, i didn't want to go to war' then TYT wouldn't have attacked him on it because it's the truth. Of course, that would be political suicide among the voters.

but anyway, from looking at the news from the US, there seems to be plenty of reasons not to vote republican other than romney didn't want to go to vietnam. republicans seem crazy and almost clownish from here.

Didn't Bill Clinton do the same thing in 69 or 70? And I think he went on to become a pretty fair president. I know the Lewinsky gal thought so!

He's been the president and a senator.

Not for the full 15 years he hasn't! Colonel Allen West was born the same year as Obama, and spent a career in the military plus going to college. Obama somehow managed (financially) to junket around the world and go to Harvard without having to work.

He did nothing while in the senate as far as records show, and even less as president other than to completely divide this country into warring camps. Well, November will be here before we know it.

Edited by rigney

Not for the full 15 years he hasn't!

Obama was first elected to the State senate in Illinois in 1996. He began serving in 1997 and did so through 2004, when he was elected to the US Senate, after which he ran for president. That's 15 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama#Legislative_career:_1997.E2.80.932008

Googling for this information isn't all that difficult.

I assume that "do we want a draft dodger as president" is a rhetorical question. But out of curiosity: how many people in the US would count not participating in the Vietnam war as a strength of character?

If they did it by stepping up and being an outspoken opponent of the war they would get my respect, sneaking off like he did, using money and power to get himself an out while others had to go is simply wrong.

It points to his character as a human being and his insistence pretending to believe something as obtuse as creationism is an example of his current lack of honor... of course none of the republican candidates, well there was one but he didn't last very long, believe that the earth is anything but YEC, they all believe im the absolute word of their god and yes that is the christian god.

They constantly use this crap to insinuate themselves into the minds of people being actively mislead by the fundamentalist christian movement and this contributes to this crap being legislated all over the country...

I couldn't vote for anyone caught up in the YEC movement here, but that's all the republicans gave us this election cycle. Locally a great many people are being voted into office on the coattails of the misplaced respect given to this movement by people like Mitt who are just manipulating them for his own means...

In recent years stupid is being actively trotted out as intelligence by the republican party...

He did nothing while in the senate as far as records show, and even less as president other than to completely divide this country into warring camps.

Oh, I think we were divided into warring camps back in 2000. Look how close the presidential voting was then and in 2004!

I also think it's incorrect to say he's done "even less as president". You may not like the man, and I have some criticisms of some of his choices, but he has done quite a lot to be proud of. I don't think anyone could do that job without garnering criticism from somewhere, but I think we should be honest about what any president accomplishes.

Obama was first elected to the State senate in Illinois in 1996. He began serving in 1997 and did so through 2004, when he was elected to the US Senate, after which he ran for president. That's 15 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama#Legislative_career:_1997.E2.80.932008

Googling for this information isn't all that difficult.

I have read these historical events of Obama's coming to power, even though you think not. Yet, I believe he has done little in his endeavours as a senator or as president, other than write a couple of books.

Phi for All. Oh, I think we were divided into warring camps back in 2000. Look how close the presidential voting was then and in 2004!

I also think it's incorrect to say he's done "even less as president". You may not like the man, and I have some criticisms of some of his choices, but he has done quite a lot to be proud of. I don't think anyone could do that job without garnering criticism from somewhere, but I think we should be honest about what any president accomplishes.

But what has been his accomplishments? Discontentment? Diversion and division? Total partisan politics and welfare enough to break the bank? Give me a reason for not disparaging his term in office.

Edited by rigney

I have read these historical events of Obama's coming to power, even though you think not. Yet, I believe he has done little in his endeavours as a senator or as president, other than write a couple of books.

But what has been his accomplishments? Discontentment? Diversion and division? Total partisan politics and welfare enough to break the bank? Give me a reason for not disparaging his term in office.

I am very curious, you make these claims but I don't see how he is fundamentally any different than any other president we have had in the last several decades, you say welfare but we give out corporate welfare, something like 7 billion a years to an industry that makes many billions and doesn't need any help.

Can you really say that anyone else would be less divisive? Obama has cooperated so many times with the Republicans that many Democrats seem him as a traitor to the cause.

I really don't see what you seem to see, in fact the major difference between Mitt and Obama is that one is president and one wants to be...

Do we want a draft dodger for president?

Clinton and Bush Jr. both evaded the draft as well. Woop-de-do-da. Who cares? What I'm wondering is when someone from any of the camps is going to sell us on why we should vote for their guy instead of just trying to give us reasons not to vote for someone else. At this point there's not anyone in the race worth voting for in my opinion. None of them are Presidential material.

Negative campaigning is like trying to sell me belief in God because I can't prove he doesn't exist.

Edited by doG

That doesn't jibe with your insistence that he hasn't been a senator of some stripe, or president, for the last 15 years. You're merely changing your argument from hasn't been there to hasn't done much while he was there. Please tell me when the goalposts have stopped moving.

That doesn't jibe with your insistence that he hasn't been a senator of some stripe, or president, for the last 15 years. You're merely changing your argument from hasn't been there to hasn't done much while he was there. Please tell me when the goalposts have stopped moving.

I suppose it'll only happen when both sides run out of real estate? Edited by rigney

Clinton and Bush Jr. both evaded the draft as well. Woop-de-do-da. Who cares? What I'm wondering is when someone from any of the camps is going to sell us on why we should vote for their guy instead of just trying to give us reasons not to vote for someone else. At this point there's not anyone in the race worth voting for in my opinion. None of them are Presidential material.

Negative campaigning is like trying to sell me belief in God because I can't prove he doesn't exist.

I agree, it makes voting a very distasteful exercise in futility... to be honest i think it's good that being a draft dodger is no longer the issue it once was but this sort of stuff has been used to destroy candidates in the recent past, swift boating I think is the term used...

To be completely honest I posted this a bit tongue in cheek originally, but Mitt is a clown, so many of them are it gets easy to ridicule them, they are like clay pigeons, the ones with real power are the corporations that own the politicians... yes on both sides... knowing who owns them is far more important than what ever brand of politics they pretend to adhere to...

But what has been his accomplishments? Discontentment? Diversion and division?

I don't think any president could be the cause of these things. These are vague problems, though real enough, and I just don't see any way they could be anything other than completely subjective perspectives.

Total partisan politics and welfare enough to break the bank?

Partisan politics?! My main gripe about Obama is his over-eager concessions to the Republicans in an effort to mend fences broken during the Bush administration. I know why he does it, but I don't think his approach has been particularly strong for the people who elected him to represent them. As for welfare, are you talking about the stimulus efforts? I could agree that much of the bailouts started by Bush and continued by Obama were corporate handouts and violated free market principles, but I think it would have been political suicide NOT to have pumped some funding into stimulating the economy he inherited.

Give me a reason for not disparaging his term in office.

He's lowered taxes for more people than Bush did. That's important to you, right? He's actually shrunk the federal government and reduced government spending, and that's important too, am I correct? The stock market is doing much better during his administration, I'm sure everyone is glad about that. He ended the war in Iraq, he's bringing troops home from Afghanistan and he got bin Laden, all very laudable accomplishments, I'm sure you'll agree. He's cut prescription drug costs for Medicare recipients. He's created more private sector jobs in 4 years than Bush did in 8. He's been so much more transparent in his official dealings than Bush ever was, including disclosure of White House visitors, which no president in the history of the US has ever done, and he reversed Bush's protocol of barring the media from showing soldier's caskets arriving from overseas. Bush did a pretty good job with Russia, I actually thought that was a strong point for him, but Obama got a nuclear arms reduction pact signed with them. He established the Credit Card Bill of Rights so credit companies can't raise rates arbitrarily. And I know you probably don't like Obamacare, but it does prevent insurance companies from denying claims based on pre-existing conditions, which always angered me about health insurance. And he's done a great deal for small businesses, although I don't think any president after Eisenhower ever did enough (I personally think small business promotion is what will help bring back the middle class, raise tax revenues, strengthen the economy and cure most of our unemployment woes).

I think it's worth thinking about this what if scenario, what if Obama was indeed a draft dodger, does anyone here think his bid for president would not have evaporated immediately as the Republicans screamed with glee as this message was pasted all over every possible media outlet?

It's interesting to me that this double standard almost certainly exists but it is primarily of concern to Republicans only as it applies to Democrats and not to themselves...

Ethics in politics is about as important as flying saucers in Astronomy... The goal is to win no matter what and to serve the 1% no matter what....