Are We Self Destructive?

Some Science fiction authors described Human race as “Self Destructive” in their stories. Are we really? If Population increases exponentially, our needs for the usage of resources would also increase. We may postpone the run out of resources with our full effort, but it would come to an end sooner or later. I think we can do nothing about it. Do we have any other options?

I have an uncomfortable thought that goes along these lines:-(But note I am just expressing my own thoughts)

Life started on this planet in very different conditions than exist today. If our species was suddenly presented with those conditions we could not survive. Life continued on the planet purely because the conditions here changed so slowly that evolution allowed life forms to change in order to cope with those changes. Any life form that could not adapt to the very slowly changing conditions was doomed. I fear that we may be changing conditions on the earth's surface and in the earth's atmosphere so rapidly that human life may become untenable. I think I am far from alone in this thought, but are we doing too little too late?

Edited by Joatmon

I have an uncomfortable thought that goes along these lines:-(But note I am just expressing my own thoughts)

Life started on this planet in very different conditions than exist today. If our species was suddenly presented with those conditions we could not survive. Life continued on the planet purely because the conditions here changed so slowly that evolution allowed life forms to change in order to cope with those changes. Any life form that could not adapt to the very slowly changing conditions was doomed. I fear that we may be changing conditions on the earth's surface and in the earth's atmosphere so rapidly that human life may become untenable. I think I am far from alone in this thought, but are we doing too little too late?

In a word yes, however there’s nothing like a deadline to concentrate the, collective, mind. I have likened the situation, as I see it, to a plane full of people arguing over how fast to hit the mountain. No doubt the captain will rest the controls just in time to steer us clear, we can but live in hope.

In a word yes, however there's nothing like a deadline to concentrate the, collective, mind. I have likened the situation, as I see it, to a plane full of people arguing over how fast to hit the mountain. No doubt the captain will rest the controls just in time to steer us clear, we can but live in hope.

Yes, interesting analogy. Perhaps it could be modified a bit. Like this -

Suppose most people on the plane are panic-stricken. They're running up and down the aisles, shouting "We're doomed, we're doomed! We're gonna hit a mountain!" A few of the passengers are scientists. These bods are keeping cool. They're quietly tinkering with the plane's on-board radar, to enhance its ability to detect looming mountains. Which will enable the captain to steer a safe course.

That's how it might be. Science and cool rationality saving the panicking populace.

However, this modified analogy breaks down, when it's applied to the present day "Global Warming/ Pollution/ Population Explosion" arguments.

Here, deplorably, it's the scientists who're running around having hysterics. While the other passengers are sitting calmly in their seats. They expect, reasonably enough, that somehow or other, everything will manage to get sorted out, and the plane will arrive safely at its destination.

And in the long-run, aren't they probably right? We humans shouldn't panic! All our problems can be solved. We won't self-destruct, if we keep calm and use our brains.

Humans are equipped with the best thing, Brain. All other animals do have that but they are not able to use that. Even Humans are not able to utilize it fully, but with time it is gradually increasing. With time science is also developing. There would come a time, soon or later, when human civilization would be able migrate to some other planet in other planet orouter space. There is too much to develop, as we have sufficient time. And this would result in survival.

Yes, interesting analogy. Perhaps it could be modified a bit. Like this -

.........................................................And in the long-run, aren't they probably right? We humans shouldn't panic! All our problems can be solved. We won't self-destruct, if we keep calm and use our brains.

Well, not in our lifetime anyway. Perhaps the scientists are "panicking" because the calm passengers (the general population) are unwilling to fund what needs to be done because they don't realise the seriousness of the true situation or, if they do, are taking the short term view?

Edited by Joatmon

Humans are equipped with the best thing, Brain. All other animals do have that but they are not able to use that. Even Humans are not able to utilize it fully, but with time it is gradually increasing. With time science is also developing. There would come a time, soon or later, when human civilization would be able migrate to some other planet in other planet orouter space. There is too much to develop, as we have sufficient time. And this would result in survival.

That's absolutely right. We have brains which can solve any problem. Let's look at our history -

Back in the Pleistocene Ice-Ages, the Earth's temperature went down by quite a few degrees. That caused a real catastrophe. It got so cold, that vast ice-sheets spread over a large part of Europe and North America. Humans had a hard time of it. We just managed to survive. Even though in those days, we didn't have any modern technology. But our brains probably thought: this musn't happen to us again.

So our brains invented modern technology and industrial civilisation. These have the (subconscious) purpose off warding off any more Ice Ages. The CO2 industrial output acts to stabilize planetary temperature, or at least restrict it within narrow limits, and so prevent any future drastic global cooling.

This isn't an original theory perhaps. But if true, doesn't it demonstrate our brain's ingenuity, and its ability not to let us self-destruct through mere passivity?

• 3 weeks later...

We are self destructive just look at how culture, religion, and race conflict.

The only way we can stop destroying ourselves is if we start loving eachother.

love is a new relatively new emotion compared to anger and greed. Its natures way of telling us to survive now.

We need to all become one culture and one race, we need to help eachother. We might be from a different country but we all bleed the same blood we are all biologically the same except by a few thousands years difference which is the blink of an eye to the universe.