What is meant by mutation and evolution?

MiruSiva

Can someone please answer the question? I don't understand the definitions given in the book or on google. Does anyone have an easier way of explaining it to me.

Thank You

Can you give us some idea of how far your understanding goes? Both mutation and evolution have very basic definitions that are simple but I get the feeling that's not what you are looking for.

Can someone please answer the question? I don't understand the definitions given in the book or on google. Does anyone have an easier way of explaining it to me.

Thank You

Sorry if my explanation is not precise to your satisfaction, but I can try to give you a brief understanding.

Firstly, mutation and evolution are two different things

Mutation is a change brought about in the genes of a cell of an organism which makes it different from others. It may be right from the birth or may due exposure to some kind of radiation. This happens at individual level.

Evolution is a gradual change in a SPECIES, making it better suited to changing environment, so that they can compete among others to survive. Well, this is at a mass scale and not for a given individual.

Hope you can understand.

• 3 weeks later...

Mutations are any changes in the DNA sequence (nucleotide sequence), that can be inherited to the next generation. It can be spontaneous or induced. Spontaneous ones are caused due to errors in DNA replication. Induced mutation is caused due to physical or chemical mutagens. If mutations occur in coding regions of the DNA that can alter the organism's phenotype.

Evolution is a change produced in the species as a long term or gradual process. It happens to survive in an environment full of competition. Darwin's theory of "Survival Of The Fittest " explains this precisely.

Mutations that are not lethal serve as a basis for evolution. smile.gif

A mutation put simply arises from the alteration of a DNA sequence. The causes of a mutation are numberous and effects depend on where in a DNA sequence the mutation occurs. Mutations are happening all the time but the vast majority have no effect and die with the organism. Only mutations in germ line cells may be inherited.

Evolution is in terms of the species as a whole, not just an individual. Inherited germ line mutations that increase chances of survival of the organism have greater chance of being reproduced and surviving in the gene pool.

There's much more to it, I'm not sure what level you're at or how much detail you're looking for...