Jesus Christ , was he a Scientist?

ACUV

Does the Bible describe Jesus Christ as ever making a totally new scientific discovery? Surely a person like him must have been the first to explain a phenomena that nobody could understand.

Does the Bible describe Jesus Christ as ever making a totally new scientific discovery? Surely a person like him must have been the first to explain a phenomena that nobody could understand.

Not to my knowledge and I have never heard anyone else assert this either.

When reading the alleged words of Christ in the NT it seems his worldview had a lot to do with demonic forces, the divine will, prophetic texts and visions, and the centrality of faith. Nothing suggestive of a scientific curiosity or thought process comes to mind. But I'll be the first to say that I'm no scripture scholar.

The closest scripture i know of comes from the Buddha in the kalama sutra:

"It is proper for you, Kalamas, to doubt, to be uncertain;uncertainty has arisen in you about what is doubtful. Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are bad; these things are blamable; these things are censured by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to harm and ill,' abandon them

However, it is not the scientific method, it is not meant to be a tool for empiricism, but for self reflection.

As for Christ, i've not heard any. Muslims often claim there are many examples of 'science' in their holy books - any one know any of these claims?

Your speculative argument springs from incredulity, which is a poor foundation. "Surely a person like him must have been..." is the opening line for all kinds of disastrous conclusions, no matter who you're talking about. :wacko:

Not my field but, IIRC there is an example of scientific thought in the old testament.

Joseph was accused of seducing the wife of Potiphar.

He claims (honestly) that she was the one taking the lead.

He points out that his clothes were torn but hers were not and this, of course, supports his story.

But the facts are ignored and he gets jailed anyway.

Not to my knowledge and I have never heard anyone else assert this either.

Well, you might start with him "walking on water", or perhaps turning "Water into wine. Then there's that thing about feeding a crowd with a few loaves of bread and a couple of fish. But heck, that's all unfalsifiable. Edited by rigney

Not my field but, IIRC there is an example of scientific thought in the old testament.

He points out that his clothes were torn but hers were not and this, of course, supports his story.

But the facts are ignored and he gets jailed anyway.

That reminds me, i think there is example of some sort of scientific method in the bible. If i remember correctly there is some doubt as to the best method/crop/field to produce the most abundant yield, and so someone in the bible (i don't think it was Jesus though) says why not plant the same crop in both fields (or some such) and see which does best. Just been looking, but i can't find the passage unfortunately, so i might be making it up.

Well, he did explain a lot to his disciple Galnewtstein, but his writings were largely ignored at the time and he is largely forgotten.

No.

Joseph was accused of attempting to seduce Potiphar's wife, but he didn't accuse her of anything or mention anything about clothes.