The truth that I can't escape is that there is no deeper meaning

Appolinaria

However, I see no purpose in trying to convince theists that they are wrong... there is really no point for this since there is no point to our existence at all. I would rather them be happy on this random rock in the middle of nowhere. Who cares. Why fight it.

However, I see no purpose in trying to convince theists that they are wrong... there is really no point for this since there is no point to our existence at all. I would rather them be happy on this random rock in the middle of nowhere. Who cares. Why fight it.

IMO they need to be freed from intellectual bondage so that they can accept the fact that the Earth and this life are all we've got. If everyone realized that I think we would be more likely to advance further in science and technology...enhancing their quality of life. Life is meaningless but is there not extreme beauty and majesty in the organized chaos we call the universe?

Life is meaningless but is there not extreme beauty and majesty in the organized chaos we call the universe?

Not really... to be human is to suffer. Even in the most utopian society there will always be things like loss of loved ones and physical pain. I can't even go on a peaceful walk without stepping on some kind of bug.

The reason we find it beautiful and majestic is because it's in our genes to have some kind of reverence for nature. The other life forms are siblings we've evolved with for a very long time. We appreciate nature so we don't destroy it, so we have the urge to explore it, etc.

I see no purpose to life, aside from possibly wanting to diminish pain in others, because there is one reality- the here and now. And we suffer unnecessarily. Eliminating all life on Earth wont solve the problem because I'm sure it will sprout up somewhere again.

Hopefully natural selection is working on deeper levels and in more complexity and over time the ones who are too sensitive to life will be weeded out.

Screw the beauty and complexity, I don't really care. I think the universe sucks. Terrible things happen that don't involve human error. There will always be accidents. Little kids go through wood chippers in front of their fathers. Our loved ones are painfully tortured with illness before our eyes only to die and become a thought in our minds.

Terrible things happen that don't involve human error. There will always be accidents. Little kids go through wood chippers in front of their fathers. Our loved ones are painfully tortured with illness before our eyes only to die and become a thought in our minds.

Now you sound like a Buddhist.

Screw the beauty and complexity, I don't really care. I think the universe sucks. Terrible things happen that don't involve human error. There will always be accidents. Little kids go through wood chippers in front of their fathers. Our loved ones are painfully tortured with illness before our eyes only to die and become a thought in our minds.

I suggest drugs...

Not really... to be human is to suffer. Even in the most utopian society there will always be things like loss of loved ones and physical pain. I can't even go on a peaceful walk without stepping on some kind of bug.

The reason we find it beautiful and majestic is because it's in our genes to have some kind of reverence for nature. The other life forms are siblings we've evolved with for a very long time. We appreciate nature so we don't destroy it, so we have the urge to explore it, etc.

I see no purpose to life, aside from possibly wanting to diminish pain in others, because there is one reality- the here and now. And we suffer unnecessarily. Eliminating all life on Earth wont solve the problem because I'm sure it will sprout up somewhere again.

Hopefully natural selection is working on deeper levels and in more complexity and over time the ones who are too sensitive to life will be weeded out.

I see it differently (though I admit it is subjective). To be human is to suffer but has the rejection of irrational beliefs and non-scientific dogma throught the years not minimized our suffering?

I feel that I am very sensitive to life. I think only science can enhance human life in the long run. The only sadness I have about my humanity and place in the universe is that I can't live forever...to see things like homo sapiens spreading their influence throughout the solar system or maybe even the galaxy. I would love to be around to see our star as a red giant, or to see the collision of the Milky Way with Andromeda!

Humans can have a wonderful future if we choose to embrace it. Maybe we are the most intelligent beings in the observable universe in which case we are gods! Lighten up for your own sake. You are the product of millions of years of biological evolution and billions of years of cosmic evolution. You are a remarkable accident, a complexity arisen from simple principles. That makes you special and wonderous. Embrace it!

Edited by mississippichem

But if we could convince all of them to actually try to physically do something, to take real action to make things better for themselves and others instead of just praying for it to get better then things might actually get better.

Humans can have a wonderful future if we choose to embrace it. Maybe we are the most intelligent beings in the observable universe in which case we are gods! Lighten up for your own sake. You are the product of millions of years of biological evolution and billions of years of cosmic evolution. You are a remarkable accident, a complexity arisen from simple principles. That makes you special and wonderous. Embrace it!

Thanks, that last part was pretty beautiful and slightly comforting.

Perhaps the psychoanalysis and recommended treatments of Appolinaria's apathy / nihilism / depression could be taken to another thread or PM?

I concur with the PM thing. It's really not necessary to discuss it in a public venue (unless, of course, she wants to).

I'm depressed? That's ironic, I feel as though I am merely describing reality for what it is.

I don't feel as anything I've shared is abnormal.

So then who are the normal ones, iNow? The people who ignore everything I've just laid out? That's ironic, since the whole entire thread pretty much involves complaining about the "broken" ones who ignore reality and evidence.

Who's broken? Everyone but you?

It's a shame that I can't freely discuss my uneasiness about existence, the meaning of the universe and question the purpose of life with others. I think these are normal feelings that no one should be afraid to discuss. If I were to ignore them, instead of facing them and coming up with a realistic solution, I would probably rely on religion.

Why are people so rigid? Is there blood in your veins? Calm down.

Edited by Appolinaria

Whether there is some point to existence is, I feel immaterial. We are here from birth to death whether we like it or not. Taking knocks and sorrows we must do and suffer. However that shouldn't prevent us enjoying the many pleasures life offers and appreciating abstract things like beauty. Life is a balancing act between these extremes. Accept this and enjoy what is there to enjoy.

I'm depressed? That's ironic, I feel as though I am merely describing reality for what it is.

I don't feel as anything I've shared is abnormal.

It's not. I think the "medication" thing is just a condescending way of invalidating your ideas and shutting you up. That was basically the reaction when I argued for a kind of nihilism on a "happy atheist" board. I thought it was pretty amusing actually.

Maybe we are the most intelligent beings in the observable universe in which case we are gods!

Yeah, maybe we're uber special. Who knows, maybe the cosmos exists for us. And just maybe a supreme being will kindly turn is into invisible immortal superheroes when we die. That would be really awesome. I feel better now.

It's a shame that I can't freely discuss my uneasiness about existence, the meaning of the universe and question the purpose of life with others. I think these are normal feelings that no one should be afraid to discuss. If I were to ignore them, instead of facing them and coming up with a realistic solution, I would probably rely on religion.

I think you will find that the religious are more than willing to talk about the reality of life and I'm not talking about the American idea of reality but the real world reality. Perhaps you are capable of understanding what Christ was talking about in Mark 2:17. I wouldn't bother with the nonsense that the majority on this forum have to say about religion, it is quite obvious that they have little understanding of it.

It's not. I think the "medication" thing is just a condescending way of invalidating your ideas and shutting you up. That was basically the reaction when I argued for a kind of nihilism on a "happy atheist" board. I thought it was pretty amusing actually.

Haha, I agree. Why are people so uncomfortable with questions like this?

I wouldn't bother with the nonsense that tend to evade the poignant criticisms that the majority on this forum have to say about religion, it is quite obvious that they have little understanding of it spent time studying it closely, found it to be lacking so have rejected it, and don't show the unearned respect and deference for it that I wish they would.

Corrected.

Whether there is some point to existence is, I feel immaterial. We are here from birth to death whether we like it or not. Taking knocks and sorrows we must do and suffer. However that shouldn't prevent us enjoying the many pleasures life offers and appreciating abstract things like beauty. Life is a balancing act between these extremes. Accept this and enjoy what is there to enjoy.

That's an honest way of looking at it. Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps you are capable of understanding what Christ was talking about in Mark 2:17.

Not sure calling him a sinner will help much.

Anyway, another perspective to ponder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_Sisyphus

A system of thought which acknowledges a lack teleology to existence, but still challenges people to embrace this as a fact and live the best lives they can.

I think you will find that the religious are more than willing to talk about the reality of life and I'm not talking about the American idea of reality but the real world reality. Perhaps you are capable of understanding what Christ was talking about in Mark 2:17. I wouldn't bother with the nonsense that the majority on this forum have to say about religion, it is quite obvious that they have little understanding of it.

Thank you. I appreciate you reaching out.

I'm not. What gave you that impression?

Referring to me as depressed for asking normal questions that every human on this planet should ask?

If you are willing to bash theism you have to be prepared to at least acknowledge the thoughts I have shared.

Referring to me as depressed for asking normal questions that every human on this planet should ask?

What I did was to ask that the off-topic comments be moved to their own thread, which they were (here). I didn't know whether to describe you as apathetic, nihilistic, or depressed... which is why I wrote all three... But frankly, I really don't care, and I'm not sure why you're taking such issue with it.

Not everyone struggles to find meaning without god in the way you're describing, so frankly I don't think your questions are normal. Just because there probably isn't a god doesn't mean your life is any different, and it fascinates me that you would argue otherwise.

Overall, though... Your lack of meaning in life is a YP, not an MP. The term "depression" was only one of three words I chose to summarize the conversation taking place. That's all. Chillax.