God and Abiogenesis

Appolinaria

Appolinaria, perhaps you need to get laid.

Ouch.

So, once again, get laid, get drunk and stop thinking. It clearly doesn't do anything to enhance your life.

That is terrible advice. Alcohol and sex are not substitutes for dealing with reality. That only leads to dependencies, addictions, low self esteem, shallow relationships, disrespect for others and disrespect for yourself.

I hope no one reading this takes your advice. It is incredibly dangerous advice.

That is terrible advice. Alcohol and sex are not substitutes for dealing with reality. That only leads to dependencies, addictions, low self esteem, shallow relationships, disrespect for others and disrespect for yourself.

I hope no one reading this takes your advice. It is incredibly dangerous advice.

You appear to take that post as seriously as you take life. Lighten up for ****'s sake. Smell the effluent. Our ancestors loved it. Sorry, appolonaria, but you are just so frigging negative I find it impossible not to reach out and give you several metaphorical slaps about the face in the hope you will snap out of it. But it seems you are a lost cause, so I shall get lost from this thread.

to inow - you know me so well; its' almost as if you were there. (That wasn't you, was it?)

This seems to be a case of finding out how the magic is done and feeling let down that it wasn't really magic. On the other hand, isn't it still amazing that the magician is able to make such wonderful things happen? Knowing how a trick is done means you aren't being tricked anymore.

You appear to take that post as seriously as you take life. Lighten up for ****'s sake. Smell the effluent. Our ancestors loved it. Sorry, appolonaria, but you are just so frigging negative I find it impossible not to reach out and give you several metaphorical slaps about the face in the hope you will snap out of it. But it seems you are a lost cause, so I shall get lost from this thread.

to inow - you know me so well; its' almost as if you were there. (That wasn't you, was it?)

Despite all the insulting things you've said, I think you genuinely are annoyed about my perspective on life. So I appreciate your advice.

Insulting? Ophiolite is exactly right. Since when is it insulting to speak truth bluntly? For the love of zeus, people... The level of ridiculousness in here has hit new highs.

Seriously, I recognize that it's way easier said than done, but at the end of the day... You just need to lighten up and let go of the anguish and turmoil to which you're so desperately clinging. You are the one forcing yourself to feel this way. You and your own mind... your unconscious focus on negativity... that's the only place this sense of blasé exists, and the only place it can be laid to rest.

Beware of the self-fulfilling prophecy, and recognize that if you choose not to suffer from existential angst, you generally won't.

Okay, I'll be blunt too. What are any of you talking about? The universe exploring itself through consciousness? Are you going to recommend mushrooms as well? "The universe is so majestic, conscious beings from such simplicity". Get real. It's called science. Complex things will come from less complex things. It will happen again. This isn't a goddamn Carl Sagan video. Keep the whimsical sh*t to yourself.

You and your own mind... your unconscious focus on negativity... that's the only place this sense of blasé exists, and the only place it can be laid to rest.

Beware of the self-fulfilling prophecy, and recognize that if you choose not to suffer from existential angst, you generally won't.

What. What is this? An excerpt from a samurai novel? A quote from the Karate Kid?

Edited by Appolinaria

You just need to lighten up and let go of the anguish and turmoil to which you're so desperately clinging. You are the one forcing yourself to feel this way. You and your own mind... your unconscious focus on negativity... that's the only place this sense of blasé exists, and the only place it can be laid to rest.

This reminds me of a job I had where I needed to do some public speaking, usually to no more than about 60-70 people. I'd walk to the front of the room like I was ready to break into a run, and then I'd deliver my pitch full of energy and passion, talking about just this sort of thing, and how fantastic it was to be alive in this day and age. I could usually get a smile out of most people but there were always those who thought I was "on something", or who thought it was bizarre to be so happy and upbeat in today's world.

It always struck me funny how they thought "grinning and full of energy" was abnormal. I suppose there are always going to be people who, when you say, "Good morning!" will respond, "What's so good about it?" [/tangent]

• 4 months later...