Taking a sabatical

pmb

Hi folks,

I've decided to take a sabatical from this forum. Just too many rude people around (I just got a rude PM from a moderator whom I never really liked anyway) and don't wish to be around that kind of people so I won't be around for a perhaps long while. There are other forums where the Admit actually admire me. So there are plenty of forums to be of help in. I just don't won't subject myself to the nasty people I've run into here.

I made a lot of friends so please feel free to email me. I won't be checking my PMs.

Later gators. :)

Edited by pmb

Ive also received hundreds of messages stating I'm the most amazing and intelligent creature to ever walk the planet. It's offensive that someone really thinks I'm the most amazing and intelligent creature on Earth. Obviously it's the entire universe.

Life is tough sometimes. Some people are just jerks.

Edited by Appolinaria

Decided to delete content

I gotta tell ya. These reputation notes are quite irritating. I can't stand being in a place where they rate me as a person. Perhaps I won't be back. I've always wanted to create my own and I can afford it now. We'll see.

Edited by pmb

I gotta tell ya. These reputation notes are quite irritating. I can't stand being in a place where they rate me as a person.

Nobody knows you as a person. The reputation points are for what you post.

Perhaps this misunderstanding is at the heart of your dissatisfaction. Members criticized your ideas and you thought they were criticizing you.

To highlight phi's statement: I have no clue who you are, but I find it strange and inappropriate that someone who joined this forum only two months ago makes a drama out of leaving it. If I would really be bothered by that, I might be clicking the red minus - as some people obviously did. Not because I judge you personally, but to express my dislike for drama queen posts from strangers.

In other words: me rating posts is about me, not about you. And I am pretty certain that it's the same for other people: them rating posts is about them, not about you.

Nobody knows you as a person. The reputation points are for what you post.

Perhaps this misunderstanding is at the heart of your dissatisfaction. Members criticized your ideas and you thought they were criticizing you.

That's the supposed usage of it. That doesn't mean they use it like that. Consider this thread. You can't seperate what I said from me the person so the number reflects what people judge about me.

What is at my heart is that there is a troller who post erroneous claims against my last post I make. I had an open mind form much much longer than I should have. After I realized he made an error in nearly every post he makes I decided not to respond. That didn't mean he stopped making bogus assertions. Now they are just going uncorrected. So be it. I'm leaving for a short time for a good reason. I hope people don't think that I tell them everything that goes into my decision making process.

I've left before, the last thing I did was whine about it in the lounge. I posted my farewells on my profile, and you were more than capable of leaving a note on your status. Instead you polluted the lounge. Even if things aren't quite right or fair ruining other people's fun is a bit childish. If I pwned this forum I would have banned you and laughed about it--I'm just evil like that. Instead I down voted the thread. There should be a corner somewhere to put erroneous threads that deter the general atmosphere away from happy thoughts, so as so I'm less inclined to press the red button . . . . .

Hope you enjoy your moments!

<3 daPincess

After all, the internet is, as we all know, serious business. ;)

Before I go on with what could be an invalid assumption. let me ask you this; Do you know what purpose the internet had before these forums got overloaded with crackpots? The newsgroups are almost useless now. The last time I checked it was overloaded with advertisements.

For those who don't know then let me explain. The Internet began with the development of computers in the 1950s. This began with communications between mainframe computers and terminals. This allowed scietists, engineers and other goups to exchange information and ideas. It was the forerunner of a physics forum. It was a very safe place and very easy place to discuss things without nutcases ruining it. Scientists thus found it nice to use. Back then it was very serious buisness. When Talor and Wheeler were writing their text Exploring Black Holes it was vey useful to discuss the phsics in e-mail rather than mailing corrections or ideas. That was very serious business too. Now there's another version comming out and e-mail will be used a more directed sense so that will be very serious buisness too.

Here, people come to learn about physics. To ask people they thought they could ask a queston in peace and discuss the subject matter without a debate going on in each and every thread. So that kind of action, these damn debates in every thread, can ruin it for the newbie. What used to be a very serious place to discuss very interesting ideas is thus made near trash by those nutcases.

Yes. There is rarely any serious buisness here. But there should be. I created a challenge for people regarding a mass density problem. Some cracpots showed they didn't understand the physics and ended up posting nonsense. Then there were people who truley wanted to find the answer out. I sent those people answers in e-mail as I noted. It was a fun learning experience for several people. So yeah. It has the ability to do some serious buisness. But not with the ignoring cracpots in threads where they have a tendacy to make bogus claims. How are the newbies to determine what is what?

I've had enough of this bickering as you folks are doing even in this thread. Lord! All I wanted to do is state why I was leaving, and it wasn't for pretty reasons, and then say I'd be back and to e-mail me if they needed me. And look what was made of this thread! Oy!

After all, the internet is, as we all know, serious business. ;)

Before I go on with what could be an invalid assumption. let me ask you this; Do you know what purpose the internet had before these forums got overloaded with crackpots? The newsgroups are almost useless now. The last time I checked it was overloaded with advertisements.

For those who don't know then let me explain. The Internet began with the development of computers in the 1950s. This began with communications between mainframe computers and terminals. This allowed scietists, engineers and other goups to exchange information and ideas. It was the forerunner of a physics forum. It was a very safe place and very easy place to discuss things without nutcases ruining it. Scientists thus found it nice to use. Back then it was very serious buisness. When Talor and Wheeler were writing their text Exploring Black Holes it was vey useful to discuss the phsics in e-mail rather than mailing corrections or ideas. That was very serious business too. Now there's another version comming out and e-mail will be used a more directed sense so that will be very serious buisness too.

Here, people come to learn about physics. To ask people they thought they could ask a queston in peace and discuss the subject matter without a debate going on in each and every thread. So that kind of action, these damn debates in every thread, can ruin it for the newbie. What used to be a very serious place to discuss very interesting ideas is thus made near trash by those nutcases.

Yes. There is rarely any serious buisness here. But there should be. I created a challenge for people regarding a mass density problem. Some cracpots showed they didn't understand the physics and ended up posting nonsense. Then there were people who truley wanted to find the answer out. I sent those people answers in e-mail as I noted. It was a fun learning experience for several people. So yeah. It has the ability to do some serious buisness. But not with the ignoring cracpots in threads where they have a tendacy to make bogus claims. How are the newbies to determine what is what?

I've had enough of this bickering as you folks are doing even in this thread. Lord! All I wanted to do is state why I was leaving, and it wasn't for pretty reasons, and then say I'd be back and to e-mail me if they needed me. And look what was made of this thread! Oy!

And you can't determine how long I've been herre by looking at my data. I was here a long time ago (2004? 2006?) and was posting for a ling time. The same person who irritating actions drove me away. His actions (including lack of them) is once again adding to drive away again. When I came back from the first sabatical I forgot that I was posting here. So I created a new account (the old one was deleted). This time I wanted to keep in touch with the nice people I've met. I don';t like forgetting nice people.

Any more complaints, please take them to the Principle's Office.

I can't stand being in a place where they rate me as a person.

What a fascinating comment. This happens in all arenas of society, and is sort of part of our shared existence, is it not?

To highlight phi's statement: I have no clue who you are, but I find it strange and inappropriate that someone who joined this forum only two months ago makes a drama out of leaving it. If I would really be bothered by that, I might be clicking the red minus - as some people obviously did. Not because I judge you personally, but to express my dislike for drama queen posts from strangers.

Seems that this is a good thread to investigate things I'm curious about. I guess my sabatical will onbly apply to the physics forum for the present moment.

timo - You claim to have no clue who I am. What does that have to do with the subject of this thread? Are you irritaing because, since you believe I'm new here that I have no right to complain of this place?

Just because you don't know who I am it doesn't mean that I hafven't been here that long. You made a mistake in your belief of how long I've been here. What you don't know is that I joined this forum only six months after you did, back in December 2004 and stayed for several years (not sure exactly how man). I decided to take my leave of this forum for a few years to c;ear my irritation I had with someone. When I came back I found that the problem remains and has new problems (new trolling pest). You might not know me but there are others here who do whom I know from other forums. When came back to this forum I decided not to hold grudges. I hate grudges. It's too imature. It's unfortunate that so many people need to hold onto their grudges. The internet is a different animal than talking to someone in person. Perceptions get distorted when peple put their thoughts in writing. It's unfortunate that very very few people take this into account.

Do you recall me posting here in the mid 2000s? I posted under the handle Pete. That's why your impression of me only being here two months is so inaccurate. What I have learned, though, is that since I've taken a new way of posting I've altered people's perception of me. Here's what I learned;What I found irritating in the posting style of others I aso noticed in mine. Of course that bothered me so I changed my writing style. Howver I myself never changed. E.g I still have a difficult time letting forum pests get to me.

It was very minor change too. All I did was not directly tell people they were wrong or anything like that. I'd merely start my response with a derivation which contadicts theirs and since I didn't tell them "You're wrong!" it worked out well. People don't like being told their wrong. Leave that out and you'll leave a much better impession on people. Try it folks!

The reason I vent my objections goes back to that quote I keep bringing up.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Unfortunately people have the tendancy to ignore the things on the intenet that make discussion boards/newsgrpoups/forums irritating. Many simly leave because of it, making no noise when they do. If people did make a noise then we'd know why people we liked left without a word. So what happens? What is left of a forum when all these decent people leave?

So nobody has a right to complain if they make attempt to fix the problem themselves. There is lot of power in words. For example; when trollers are littering threads with nonsense, actions should be taken to halt it, e.g by altering the rules to prohibit it. When a person is making no positive contribution to a thread but spends all their time trying to force their views/opinions on you.

Then the right action should be to actively alter the rules as years go by by taking into what they've learned from their attempts to make things better. This is how and why new laws are made. Ever wonder why Sates made laws such as to prohibit things like loitering, or litterting, or flse advertising etc.? It's to make the world a better place.

In other words: me rating posts is about me, not about you. And I am pretty certain that it's the same for other people: them rating posts is about them, not about you.

That's how you interpret it. Others may use it to spite people who they don't like. I know of several people whom I believe would use it like that had they posted here.

Let's take a vote.

When you see a number associated with a person's reputation do you think

1) That is a reflection only of the people who contribute to voting on the reputation

2) That it is a reflection of the people doing the voting on the persons posts only

3) That it is a reflection of the person themselves

4) It all depends on each vote since everyone is different.

Where is the rules which tell you what the purpose of voting up a post is for?

This is something I put on the home page yesterday. Can we possibly be talking about the same people?

"If you do detect a little sarcasm (from my post) please accept that it is a) gentle, and b)usually aimed at myself in some way. For example in this case I am well aware that my frankness, impulsiveness and sense of humour may lead some people to wonder if I am "quite right in the head department"! I'm just happy to be given the opportunity to "mix it" with young, vibrant, intelligent people."

Edited by Joatmon

Wow, it's quite deep on the end off of which you have gone.

Are you intentionally breaking forum rules or are you just ignorant of them? I'd say a combination of both. See

http://www.scienceforums.net/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

1.Be civil.

a.No flaming. Refrain from insulting or attacking users in a discussion.

b.Avoid the use of vulgar language.

c.Slurs or prejudice against any group of people (or person) are prohibited.

d.Please refer to SFN's etiquette guide before posting.

and

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/7813-science-forums-etiquette/

Don't Flame

Just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean you need to insult them. They may be ignorant, but try not to flame them out of the forum. If they're intentionally insulting people, don't reply--just use the Report Post function to let the moderators know about it. They can deal with insult wars and rule-breakers more efficiently than regular users.

Many of the people in this thread have broken one or more of the forum rules. It's the lack of enforcement that drove me away. It'd be silly for me to want to be around so many of the flammers I now see in this thread. There are so many greener pastures on the internet. Too many flamers in this one with no policing to take action against flamers and trollers.

Please grow up and learn to be an adult by learning how to accept criticism without attacking the messanger.

And never ask why people leave here. You've just shown them why they should.