Newton's laws

Primarygun

i thought it was the first that describes intertia proportional to mass

you can't really call it negative acceleration. it all depends on the way you choose your unit vectors. for example in a problem invovling dropping a stone from a cliff, and finding the distance it travels in time t, it would be more convinient for me to choose the 3rd unit vector pointing down. giving me a positive acceleration. i could choose the 3rd unit vector pointing upwards, that will give me the same result as well.

i thought it was the first that describes intertia proportional to mass

you can't really call it negative acceleration. it all depends on the way you choose your unit vectors. for example in a problem invovling dropping a stone from a cliff, and finding the distance it travels in time t, it would be more convinient for me to choose the 3rd unit vector pointing down. giving me a positive acceleration. i could choose the 3rd unit vector pointing upwards, that will give me the same result as well.

1.Which newton's law describes inertia is proportional to mass? 1st or 2nd?

i think its the first law since it describes how objects continue with their state of rest or motion unless compelled otherwise by an external force. the bigger the mass, the more inertia requied to affect its state. the second law highlights only the rate of change of momentum of a body in the direction of the force.

2.An object is on a slope, the graph of v-t shows that there is negative acceleration, how do you explain it ?

the object is decelerating.

-mak10

1.Which newton's law describes inertia is proportional to mass? 1st or 2nd?

i think its the first law since it describes how objects continue with their state of rest or motion unless compelled otherwise by an external force. the bigger the mass, the more inertia requied to affect its state. the second law highlights only the rate of change of momentum of a body in the direction of the force.

2.An object is on a slope, the graph of v-t shows that there is negative acceleration, how do you explain it ?

the object is decelerating.

-mak10

• 2 weeks later...

i swear to god, it should be first. i dont see what the second law has to do with inertia

this is the meaning of inertia from the oxford online dictionary

(physics) a property (= characteristic) of matter (= a substance) by which it stays still or, if moving, continues moving in a straight line unless it is acted on by a force outside itself.

You can't really answer the question if you don't actually know what Newton's laws are.

The first law doesn't mention mass at all:

An object at rest remains at rest, and an object in (uniform) motion remains in (uniform) motion unless acted upon by a net external force.

The first law certainly describes the concept or principle of inertia, but it's in the second law that the term is quantified as being mass.

edit to add: the first law also tells you when you can apply Newton's laws. If and object at rest does not remain at rest, etc., you are not in an inertial frame of reference.