the principles of breathing

Guest izzythekitty

Guest izzythekitty

I have a quick question..I was wondering if anyone could help me understand the thermodynamics behind breathing oxygen? I mean why can't you breathe carbon dioxide? I know that one reason is because the oxygen of carbon dioxide is bonded to the carbon and our lungs therefore cannot bond with the oxygen. But, what's the details behind this? Can anyone help me?

Guest izzythekitty

I have a quick question..I was wondering if anyone could help me understand the thermodynamics behind breathing oxygen? I mean why can't you breathe carbon dioxide? I know that one reason is because the oxygen of carbon dioxide is bonded to the carbon and our lungs therefore cannot bond with the oxygen. But, what's the details behind this? Can anyone help me?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also, changes in pH and allosteric regulation affect the conformation of hemoglobin, which can complex to the oxygen molecules. As far as binding or not binding carbon dioxide, you can't bind CO2, but you can transport it dissolved in the blood as bicarbonate and carbonic acid. This is how your blood regulates it's pH, which consequently affects whether the heme binds/releases oxygen.

The main principle indeed is expressed by Yggdrasil. The combination oxygen/sugars has a higher energy content than water/carbon dioxide. This is how our body obtains the energy for its functioning. CO2 already is at a lower energy level and the body is not capable of obtaining energy from it.

Plants can do things with CO2 (they use the C in it to build their own structures, mainly cellulose, but also sugars), but an external source of energy is required for them. That external source of energy is (sun)light.

It is all about energy.

Oxygen reacts chemically with certain food molecules' date=' like sugar to release energy, which we need.

Carbon dioxide cannot react in a way to provide energy.[/quote']

The combination oxygen/sugars has a higher energy content than water/carbon dioxide. This is how our body obtains the energy for its functioning. CO2 already is at a lower energy level and the body is not capable of obtaining energy from it.

CO2 is at a low level state because it is a byproduct of our bodies reactions, the energy has been used and converted into something else.

CO2 is at a low level state because it is a byproduct of our bodies reactions, the energy has been used and converted into something else.

and we simply have no mechanism to turn CO2 into something else, unlike plants.