filling up empty space?

leugi

I have two questions, first i want to know if there is anything else other than atoms that can fill up empty space, for example if i have an empty bag, with nothing in it, can it be filled with photons, electrons, or something else?

second, if you have an empty bag, but there is a mechanical apparatus that expands the bag, what will the empty space be filled with?

I have two questions, first i want to know if there is anything else other than atoms that can fill up empty space, for example if i have an empty bag, with nothing in it, can it be filled with photons, electrons, or something else?

second, if you have an empty bag, but there is a mechanical apparatus that expands the bag, what will the empty space be filled with?

When the bag is expanded, we say the atoms that made up the bag has moved its location further away from its original centre. The empty space is not expanded, it remains the same in this process.

When the bag is expanded, we say the atoms that made up the bag has moved its location further away from its original centre. The empty space is not expanded, it remains the same in this process.

yes the atoms that make up the bag do move away from the original center, but the volume of the inside of the closed bag has increased, and if it is not filled by atoms, then what is it filled with?

yes the atoms that make up the bag do move away from the original center, but the volume of the inside of the closed bag has increased, and if it is not filled by atoms, then what is it filled with?

Hmm, well, the bag is filled with empty space. Space itself is a not substance. it is more like result of observing photons that our brains generate this "space".

When one makes the bag larger in a vacuum, since space is not a substance, it does not react with the bag at all, rather it stays the same (I am talking about space here not Einstein's space-time construct), so when the bag volumn is increased, we do not consider space, as it does not fill up, but rather is a grid. I think of space as a grid, we don't say did grid fill up the bag, but rather on what coordiantes are the bag's atoms at/were.

Depends on what you mean by "fill". You can put a bunch of photons in an appropriately constructed bag, but since they are Bosons you can put an arbitrary number of them in any volume. In that sense they don't "fill" anything.

It could have photons within it. It would have maybe trillions of neutrinos within it, maybe electrons, a proton or more depending upon the volume.

"Empty space" here on Earth and within galactic and intergalactic space, is filled with the Zero Point Field. This is a known energy field called Zero Point Energy. There is also thought to be theoretical particulates within this field such as dark matter, gravitons, Higg's particles, quantum foam, etc. It could be called the aether.

Aether: The upper air breathed by the gods; Son of Erebus sired in chaos and darkness. :)

Edited by pantheory

luegi,

Negative (vacuum) pressure. Which brings up a question that I have yet to find an answer to also.

JohnStu,

When one makes the bag larger in a vacuum, since space is not a substance, it does not react with the bag at all, rather it stays the same (I am talking about space here not Einstein's space-time construct), so when the bag volumn is increased, we do not consider space, as it does not fill up, but rather is a grid.

Are you saying that with the bag expanding, in a vacuum, that it would not build vacuum pressure inside the bag? Even once the threshold is crossed that allows there to be a greater amount of vacuum inside the bag than outside?

Pantheory,

"Empty space" here on Earth and within galactic and intergalactic space, is filled with the Zero Point Field. This is a known energy field called Zero Point Energy. There is also thought to be theoretical particulates within this field such as dark matter, gravitons, Higg's particles, quantum foam, etc. It could be called the aether.

The less matter that you have in a space (the bag), the greater the amount of vacuum in the space. And visa versa. It doesn't seem accurate to say that "nothing/space" is the cause of this pressure change. And it also only seems accurate to say that matter is the cause of possitive pressure when matter builds up in a space. Matter would seem to be an unlikely culperate for vacuum pressure to build once matter is taken out of a space. So what is the exact cause of vacuum in that space (bag), if not the space itself?

JustinW,

...So what is the exact cause of vacuum in that space (bag), if not the space itself?

There are models of space whereby space has physical characteristics to it. Via these supposed characteristics space can accordingly bend, warp, expand at different rates, etc. No physical characteristics of space have ever been observed in the lab, however, excepting for its energy potential called the Zero Point Field. If dark matter is real it would also be in the bag. If Higg's particles are real they also would be in the bag. Neutrinos would be in the bag.

It depends upon what theories you prefer, as to what's in the bag :)

//

Edited by pantheory