Is the Mormon religion racist and misogynous?

Moontanman

Ahm, wait... We could either be discussing misunderstandings regarding Mormonism, or Mormon myths (both are valid)? This video isn't accurate at all, however, Mormonism is still as reckless and shameful as ever, nevertheless.

Edit:

Why did you make this topic? Is there really anything to discuss? "Is the Mormon religion racist and misogynous?" Yes. Implicitly, it is. But of course, Mormons don't believe so. The current "official" generation of LDS (it changes to fit society's judgement, really) have a contradictory take on why their beliefs are socially acceptable. Although they still believe that your natural circumstances -- such as being of a certain race, gender, species; born into a certain family, era or having whatever "given challenges and strengths" -- are designated by Elohim (correct spelling?) with respect to your spiritual qualities for the ultimate collective cause of Elohim's "plan of salvation," they oddly don't view that as offensive to anyone, and happily allow themselves to value anti-racism and anti-misogynism, and their ideology simultaneously, for they "always value God's great and wise plan, and all of his wonderful creations." You know? Yeah, its ludicrous.

Edited by Ben Bowen

Ahm, wait... We could either be discussing misunderstandings regarding Mormonism, or Mormon myths (both are valid)? This video isn't accurate at all, however, Mormonism is still as reckless and shameful as ever, nevertheless.

Edit:

Why did you make this topic? Is there really anything to discuss?

Yes there is something to discuss, feel free to read the original question, and if you have reason to question the myths or should i say made up crap the Mormon church endorses feel free to point out what is wrong. From what I've read and been told it is quite accurate as to the teachings of the creator of the Mormon church, yeah, they don't do some of the stuff any more, like marrying more than one pubescent girl at a time, asserting any white person who has sex with a black person should be killed, Negros are cursed by god, all that rot, but in what way is this not a fair representation of the origins of Mormonism?

Their origins were indeed racist and misogynistic not to mention that bullshit about the magic gold discs and Smith being nothing more than a con man... His ideas about god being a mortal man who attained godhood through following the Mormon religion, the multiple worlds and each one has it's own god is part of Mormonism, they try to down play that stuff because it sounds just as stupid to them as it does to us but John Smith said that was what was on the discs and what an angel told him.

Outrageous bullshit about the native Americans being the lost tribe of Israel... Faked archaeological evidence supporting their "cause" the killing of a large number of non Mormons and blaming it on Native Americans, I think they deserve to be outed just as much as any of the rest of them...

Ah, I was right then. The means of discussion is ranting. I'll admit these topics are fun. But I think in this case, it would be rare to find a unique answer (not "Yes"), so this rant will probably be pretty boring.

Tweak:

This video isn't accurate at all

I mean, it's accurate about what Mormons are, but the cartoon's depiction is not very solid on their ideology. I'm not in favor of Mormonism, but I don't want to see more hypocrisy.

There really isn't anything interesting to discuss yet. It would be fun to talk about how sociopaths construct effective cults, what religious ideologies are crafted like this (besides Mormonism) and which aspects of religion may have originated by sincere misunderstanding (such as believing in mythological/metaphorical stories which were never intended to be believed).

Edited by Ben Bowen

Ah, I was right then. The means of discussion is ranting. I'll admit these topics are fun. But I think in this case, it would be rare to find a unique answer (not "Yes"), so this rant will probably be pretty boring.

Rant? I think I made some pretty good points, if you can refute any of them feel free to do so, why does Mormonism, any religion really, get a pass on being called on their bullshit? Mormons actually claimed that all the rest of Christianity is an abomination, now they try to blend in with the rest of Christianity, I think that in of it's self points to a basically dishonest world view if nothing else. I think they do not deserve a pass on what they base their beliefs on any less than any other religion does.

I think I made some pretty good points

I might give you 50% on this informative essay. Unfortunately, I never suspected a science-community would have forums for religion and philosophy, neither did I know that the discussion would most often be dry.

Edited by Ben Bowen

I might give you 50% on this informative essay. Unfortunately, I never suspected a science-community would have forums for religion and philosophy, neither did I know that the discussion would most often be dry.

Please feel free to critique what I've said by doing something other than simply dismissing it. If it's too dry take drink first...

My problem is you haven't said much. Your original post only has a title, one sentence, and a cheesy (and faulted) video. There is no problem with the information in your second post, but again, this topic is worthless; it belongs in the lounge. I agree with you, calm down, but I won't click the [+] sign. Sorry.

My problem is you haven't said much. Your original post only has a title, one sentence, and a cheesy (and faulted) video. There is no problem with the information in your second post, but again, this topic is worthless; it belongs in the lounge. I agree with you, calm down, but I won't click the [+] sign. Sorry.

No + rep? Bummer dude....

You are correct it is a bit unfair to expect someone to watch a video that disagrees with their world view. I've watched it three times now and I can't seem to catch where Wanderingdaoist separated from the truth of the situation. Since he is one of the people I hold quite a bit of respect for any criticism you have of that video would be very interesting to me. A different point of view is always a good thing.

Outrageous bullshit about the native Americans being the lost tribe of Israel... Faked archaeological evidence supporting their "cause" the killing of a large number of non Mormons and blaming it on Native Americans, I think they deserve to be outed just as much as any of the rest of them...

Some of the fakes weren't done by them. They just fell for them. There's actually quite a bit of archaeological evidence against Mormonism: