Getting into MIT

space stuff

I am an 11th class student from India . I want to get some information about getting into MIT (Massachusetts institute of technology). Are admission criteria for international students different (Is it tougher, than for the US students) ?

Presently, I am preparing for Indian Institute of Technology-Joint Entrance Exam (IIT-JEE) which is the toughest exam in India, and one of the toughest in the World. What I am doubtful about is that being an international student applicant, are my chances to get into MIT less (also I can't get there without being offered at least 85% scholarship) ?

As compared to SAT, the IIT-JEE questions level are very, very tough. Even a student scoring 2400/2400 in SAT may not be able to crack it. In IITJEE 500,000 students compete to get into top 5000 for a seat. I attempted SAT (Maths) questions and was able to solve all questions correctly within 15 mins. But it takes me 15 mins to solve one or two questions of IIT-JEE.

When I attempt SAT English section, everything just seems passing over my head. I am not as much good in English as I am in Maths. I am confident for my Maths section for getting perfect score but not for English. Also I can easily solve SAT Subject Test: Physics and Chemistry.

Here in India, we prepare only for Phy, Chem and Maths for IIT-JEE (at least 7 hours a day after schools). So, I won't get enough time for learning English, and that is why I feel that my scores would be affected.

Also I want to get into MIT for two reasons. First one being, I want to get into Aero-Astro course(which is not good here in India as compared to other courses). Second is that I will be able to do simultaneous course in Physics, which is not possible in India.

And finally, how should I prepare or do in my school to get into MIT (Any sort of reputation, extracurricular or so) ? How well should I do to get a Scholarship/Aid ?

I hope valuable suggestions will help me out. And sorry for this long post.

Here's MIT's page on international admissions:

http://mitadmissions.org/apply/international/howto

They say:

MIT receives many applications from very smart and talented international citizens. From this great pool of candidates we may only take a small cupful. Every year more than 3,000 international students apply to MIT, and we can admit fewer than 150.

We limit the number of international students we can accept because of our generous financial aid. MIT is one of the few schools in the world that offers need-blind admissions and meets their full financial need. "Need-blind" means we will consider your application equally, no matter how rich or poor you are or how much you could pay to attend. "Meeting your full financial need" means MIT will give you enough financial aid so that you can afford to attend, no matter how much or how little your family can pay.

For MIT, you'll need more than high test scores. Extracurriculars are good; in fact, I think they're essential, because gets so many applications from students with perfect scores that it has to distinguish students with extracurriculars. Work on getting strong letters of recommendation from teachers and others.

I may be a little bitter; I was rejected from MIT despite high test scores, probably because I had no interesting extracurriculars.

Here's MIT's page on international admissions:

http://mitadmissions...rnational/howto

They say:

For MIT, you'll need more than high test scores. Extracurriculars are good; in fact, I think they're essential, because gets so many applications from students with perfect scores that it has to distinguish students with extracurriculars. Work on getting strong letters of recommendation from teachers and others.

I may be a little bitter; I was rejected from MIT despite high test scores, probably because I had no interesting extracurriculars.

What type of extracurriculars you would recommend ?

Work on getting strong letters of recommendation from teachers and others.

What do you mean by "letters of recommendation" ? What do these letters contain and how it should be helpful ? Its quite confusing, because here in India, admissions are only through JEE (they won't even consider International Physics olympiad gold medalist if he has not qualified it) and not through these letters;

so, never heard of it before.huh.gif

MIT has you send in "evaluations" from teachers: one from a math or science teacher, and one from a humanities, social science, or language teacher. Here's their page on evaluations:

http://mitadmissions.org/apply/freshman/recommendations

The idea is that a teacher who knows you well will write a letter to MIT explaining why you're a good student and should be admitted to MIT. So you want to impress two teachers with your academic ability and your personality -- not just "this student is smart, so you should admit him", but "this student is smart and fun to work with, and I enjoyed having him in my class."

I'm not sure what extracurriculars to recommend. Go out and do what you enjoy. If you can get into a leadership role (president of the chess club, or whatever), that's even better. Just do something, and be able to say on the application why you enjoy it and what it involves.

MIT has you send in "evaluations" from teachers: one from a math or science teacher, and one from a humanities, social science, or language teacher. Here's their page on evaluations:

http://mitadmissions...recommendations

The idea is that a teacher who knows you well will write a letter to MIT explaining why you're a good student and should be admitted to MIT. So you want to impress two teachers with your academic ability and your personality -- not just "this student is smart, so you should admit him", but "this student is smart and fun to work with, and I enjoyed having him in my class."

I'm not sure what extracurriculars to recommend. Go out and do what you enjoy. If you can get into a leadership role (president of the chess club, or whatever), that's even better. Just do something, and be able to say on the application why you enjoy it and what it involves.

Thank you very much !!!

• 1 month later...

When it comes to extracurricular activities, they look for the rounded student, example you could be apart of an AV group or robotics group but so many other students as well; playing sports, doing tons of extra volunteer hours, being apart of a social group, and joining government groups all help play a vital roll, they would see your smart and your willing to go above what is needed. Everything helps you out, more you have under your belt the more you will stand out.

Great things to join is

Track and Field, Cross Country, Student Government, International Studies, Honor Societies, Soccer (futbol), and anything in that nature. Help with a Cause project that would really put you out there. But good luck with what ever you achieve and remember just do what you love, even if you don't get into MIT there are other schools out there.