Traveling at the speed of light

TransformerRobot

According to current theory it is impossible for material objects to travel at the speed of light.

What has not been proved is that such bodies cannot travel faster than light, since we do not have adequate theory for this situation.

Is another part of the problem how we don't know how to develop more radiation resistant materials? Radiation is related to the study of how light behaves, isn't it?

I don't follow the relevance to this thread.

I don't follow the relevance to this thread.

Sorry, I meant that a more radiation resistant ship or capsule would be able to travel longer distances in less time. I'm sure there are stars and gas giants that give off a LOT of radiation, probably enough to kill the crew.

Hi

Traveling space with speed of light is possible!!!

Here on our earth is one rule that prevent us to do it; we are self destructive species.

We are trading knowledge for money. I think knowledge should be free. Knowledge is universal curent, not money.

If inventor figure out how to do it, most likely people, who has money would steal from him idea or just kill him.

I'm working on theory that anable traveling space at c. Trick is the origin of gravity.

Hi

Traveling space with speed of light is possible!!!

Here on our earth is one rule that prevent us to do it; we are self destructive species.

We are trading knowledge for money. I think knowledge should be free. Knowledge is universal curent, not money.

If inventor figure out how to do it, most likely people, who has money would steal from him idea or just kill him.

I'm working on theory that anable traveling space at c. Trick is the origin of gravity.

!

Moderator Note

Hi Gravity Guy, on this forum we ask that people do not reply to other peoples threads (esspecially those within the main science sections) their their own ideas but with answers that are consistent with mainstream science. If you would like to discus you own ideas please start a new thread in the speculations forum.

Thank you, if you feel this is inappropriate please use the report functionality for this post.

Look like my statement reflect reality!! People fighting against good revolutionary ideas.

My purpos here is to find somebody who is working on Origin of Gravity and discus a bit about it. Social aspect is the last subject I would like to talk about.

Look like my statement reflect reality!! People fighting against good revolutionary ideas.

My purpos here is to find somebody who is working on Origin of Gravity and discus a bit about it. Social aspect is the last subject I would like to talk about.

!

Moderator Note

Please check our forum rules you are heading in the direction of thread hijacking. I'd again suggest you post in the speculation forum then, http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/29-speculations/ Before you do so also give the speculation forum specific rules a quick read:

http://www.scienceforums.net/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=rules&f=29

Please don't derail this thread further, again you can use the report post feature to report posts.

Well what if we could somehow harness the properties of wormholes to achieve light speed travel? Wormholes don't necessarily destroy what goes through them, do they?

I briefly read something by Kip Thorne who said that it would requiretoo much exotic matter to create one.

TransformerRobot,

Your responses seem to me a good way to discourage those prepared to have a real scientific discussion with you about your question.

Perhaps if you responded to their comments rather than just throwing out more wishful thinking your might progress your cause.

Well how long do you estimate technology will have to develop for in terms of years for it to happen?

Did I really just see you ask how long you think it will be before we develop a substitute for what are already imaginary particles?

Alex, I'll put my money down for "10 years after the Sun goes nova."

If traveling at the speed of light doesn't work, all else I can think of is making ships with faster engines over time.

How long is a light year? I've read that it's 300,000 per second.

What if we figured out a way to fly through a worm hole and survive? Or is that even more complex?

What if we figured out a way to fly through a worm hole and survive? Or is that even more complex?

First you have to FIND a wormhole. To my knowledge, those too exist in theory only.

And even if there is one, how would you know what's on the other side? There isn't much point in traveling through one if you don't know where it goes. Statistically speaking, it's more likely to dump you into space that's midway between two galaxies than it is to dump you right next to some habitable planet. Talk about a ticket to nowhere!

Put it this way: At this point in our history, high speed travel through space isn't even science fiction. It's science fantasy.

Edited by InigoMontoya

The only way we can see what's on the other side of a wormhole is to send a robotic ship down it, and make sure it's giving us a video feed back to Earth. Even if it doesn't open up near a habitable planet it would get us closer to one.

For some definition of the word "closer" sure. But the fact is, given the size of the universe, it's probably more likely to put you further away from any planets at all, than it is to put you closer to a habitable planet than the Earth is.

The reason that FTL travel is such a staple of science fiction/space opera type stories is that no one wants to read about how it took 8000 years to reach where the heroes were going and whatever they were going there for no longer existed.

"Slow boating" at about half-c with some kind of cryogenic storage solution is certainly more plausible in terms of the science we understand, even if we don't have the engineering yet to support it.

How long is a light year? I've read that it's 300,000 per second.

light-year, also light year or lightyear (symbol: ly) is a unit of length, equal to just under 10 trillion kilometres (or about 6 trillion miles). As defined by the International Astronomical Union (IAU), a light-year is the distance that light travels in a vacuum in one Julian year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-year