Doomsday

dimreepr

The doomsayers are growing in number (seemingly) and spreading the doom to all who will listen.

My question is; are they warning us or do they, secretly, welcome the devastating scenarios they describe?

The doomsayers are growing in number (seemingly) and spreading the doom to all who will listen.

My question is; are they warning us or do they, secretly, welcome the devastating scenarios they describe?

I know some groups aren't so secrete about paving the way for the end of the world, some religious fundamentalists are actively promoting bringing about the end of the world they consistently warn us about...

I know some groups aren't so secrete about paving the way for the end of the world, some religious fundamentalists are actively promoting bringing about the end of the world they consistently warn us about...

I think rather than paving the way for their own destruction, they want to draw certain parallels in order to gather followers who will help justify their negativity and grow their base of power. "The end is near (but we've got backstage passes)!"

I strongly suspect that there are many motiviations and among them would the desire for something exciting to enliven their dull lives, or a frisson of superiority thinking they are 'in on' a secret. For me the troubling ones are those who think we are nearing the End Days and therefore do not need to take any corrective action on global warming, or any of the troubles facing civilisation. They are rushing straight to the scene of the accident.

they warning us or do they, secretly, welcome the devastating scenarios they describe?

Note: I am telling you this with the assumption that nobody will use it againts me and nothing that I say will go outside this forum. If my trust is violated then I ask the forum moderator to take appropriate action they see fit given the specifics. I amtrusting the moderators with my well being. Please don't let me down.

I pay no attention to what those wack jobs say. I know the date that the Maya calendar ends and am looking forward to seeing the wackos will respond to the lack of anything happening that day.

However, I'm going to admit something today that I never ever ever admit to anybody outside my doctors office - I am one of thoe people that would appreciate the end of the world happening. Whethera person is rligious or not I believe that people won't experience and end to their existance. This is not a scientific viewpoint though. Scientifically I can't even imagine how such a thing could happen. But I do see something beyond death. The research of Henry Stapp is interesting on this point, if I read him right that is.:blink:

I keep reaching points in my life where I just can't bear living to see he next day. You see, I'm disabled. I have a damaged spine in that I have 4 herniated disks. When I became disabled I lost most of my friends. My family doesn't want me to call them because they see me as a burden. The pain can be unbearable a good fraction o the time I'm awake. When I'm asleep I have very bad nightmares. The purpose in my life is all gone. I have no fear of death. It would be a release from never ending pain. That's how I see it.

Edited by pmb

Note: I am telling you this with the assumption that nobody will use it againts me and nothing that I say will go outside this forum. If my trust is violated then I ask the forum moderator to take appropriate action they see fit given the specifics. I amtrusting the moderators with my well being. Please don't let me down.

I pay no attention to what those wack jobs say. I know the date that the Maya calendar ends and am looking forward to seeing the wackos will respond to the lack of anything happening that day.

However, I'm going to admit something today that I never ever ever admit to anybody outside my doctors office - I am one of thoe people that would appreciate the end of the world happening. Whethera person is rligious or not I believe that people won't experience and end to their existance. This is not a scientific viewpoint though. Scientifically I can't even imagine how such a thing could happen. But I do see something beyond death. The research of Henry Stapp is interesting on this point, if I read him right that is.:blink:

I keep reaching points in my life where I just can't bear living to see he next day. You see, I'm disabled. I have a damaged spine in that I have 4 herniated disks. When I became disabled I lost most of my friends. My family doesn't want me to call them because they see me as a burden. The pain can be unbearable a good fraction o the time I'm awake. When I'm asleep I have very bad nightmares. The purpose in my life is all gone. I have no fear of death. It would be a release from never ending pain. That's how I see it.

I'm very sorry to hear about your condition. It's the kind of situation where you really need other people to help you. Without knowing you, one of the first things I thought of when I read your words was how much I would hate being thought of as a "burden", and how much I would probably push people away if I were in your circumstances, people who were genuinely concerned for me and simply trying to help. It's hard to be positive when negative things happen to us, but people have a harder time being around negativity unless they have the training for it. Your friends and family might just be waiting for you to WANT their help.

I would suggest that you need to find a professional to counsel you. Friends and family are great but they are ill-equipped when it comes to problems they can't overcome for you. It sounds like everyone in your life (including you) feels helpless against this extremely unfortunate setback, but there are those who are trained to help you cope. Please seek out such a professional. Internet forums are for learning, but right now you have a wound that is tainting everything for you that we can't ever properly help you with. It takes someone who can talk to you face to face and get to know exactly what you're dealing with.

I'm very sorry to hear about your condition. ......

I appologize for being a downer. Sometimes just getting it out can help me. It didn't work today. Sorry.

Edited by pmb

I'm very sorry to hear about your condition. It's the kind of situation where you really need other people to help you. Without knowing you, one of the first things I thought of when I read your words was how much I would hate being thought of as a "burden", and how much I would probably push people away if I were in your circumstances, people who were genuinely concerned for me and simply trying to help. It's hard to be positive when negative things happen to us, but people have a harder time being around negativity unless they have the training for it. Your friends and family might just be waiting for you to WANT their help.

I would suggest that you need to find a professional to counsel you. Friends and family are great but they are ill-equipped when it comes to problems they can't overcome for you. It sounds like everyone in your life (including you) feels helpless against this extremely unfortunate setback, but there are those who are trained to help you cope. Please seek out such a professional. Internet forums are for learning, but right now you have a wound that is tainting everything for you that we can't ever properly help you with. It takes someone who can talk to you face to face and get to know exactly what you're dealing with.

With this, I couldn’t agree more, having found my way through my own depression. The reasons for unhappiness are many and varied and your family only wants to help (seriously), but naturally, you only consider the situation from your own point of view, they don’t see it the way you think they do. People in general are much more empathic and caring than any of us give ourselves credit for. There are happier days to come my friend, please seek the help 'phi for all' suggests.

I strongly suspect that there are many motiviations and among them would the desire for something exciting to enliven their dull lives, or a frisson of superiority thinking they are 'in on' a secret. For me the troubling ones are those who think we are nearing the End Days and therefore do not need to take any corrective action on global warming, or any of the troubles facing civilisation. They are rushing straight to the scene of the accident.

This is the thinking that motivated the OP. It is the dark side of humanity, and ill considered, because however bad things seem today, a true doomsday scenario is one in which most of us (humans) would die. Do these people think they are going to be the exception? Or are they just a bit peeved that existence didn’t give them the ideal lifestyle?

With this, I couldn’t agree more, having found my way through my own depression. The reasons for unhappiness are many and varied and your family only wants to help (seriously), but naturally, you only consider the situation from your own point of view, they don’t see it the way you think they do. People in general are much more empathic and caring than any of us give ourselves credit for. There are happier days to come my friend, please seek the help 'phi for all' suggests.

This is the thinking that motivated the OP. It is the dark side of humanity, and ill considered, because however bad things seem today, a true doomsday scenario is one in which most of us (humans) would die. Do these people think they are going to be the exception? Or are they just a bit peeved that existence didn’t give them the ideal lifestyle?

A large number of them think they are going to be the exception. Raptured strait to heaven, I see bumper stickers all day long that say "car will be unmanned in case of Rapture" They think they get saved, everyone else dies in a spasm of evil run a muck while they get to watch from the best seats in the house.... it's really an odd point of view....

A large number of them think they are going to be the exception. Raptured strait to heaven, I see bumper stickers all day long that say "car will be unmanned in case of Rapture" They think they get saved, everyone else dies in a spasm of evil run a muck while they get to watch from the best seats in the house.... it's really an odd point of view....

I'm geetting the feeling that my comment side tracked this thread so let's get back online, shall we?

I'm uncertain which fundamentalist groups you could be referring to. The Christian fundamentalists I am familiar with believe Jesus is on his way back, his return is imminent, and all Christians need do to prepare for His return is believe in the Salvation that awaits them. They don't have to kill any infidels, let alone engage in acts of terrorism and mayhem.

I'm uncertain which fundamentalist groups you could be referring to. The Christian fundamentalists I am familiar with believe Jesus is on his way back, his return is imminent, and all Christians need do to prepare for His return is believe in the Salvation that awaits them. They don't have to kill any infidels, let alone engage in acts of terrorism and mayhem.

I'm a Christian myself and one thing I'm certain of is that nobody knows when the end of days will come. Even Jesus didn't know when I was here. Claiming to know when Jesus was here could be interpreted as blasphemy. There's a reason God doesn't want us to know when the end of days would be here, and only God knows that reason.

There are approximately 38,000 Christian denominations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations) ranging from the mainstream Catholic, Anglican etc to the outright lunatics at the other end of the scale. Can you really tell me none of the more extreme denominations, or even mid table, don’t actively promote anti-societal ideas?

Now back to topic; I take it from your reply you would welcome your version of societies demise?