I am the Scorpion King

Sayonara

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can also use a digital camera for lots of things. Preferably for taking lousy pictures of element samples.

http://www.freewebs.com/gildedchem/crystal.JPG

Mmm-mm! Bismutholicious!

I was meaning more for dark shots.

I took some in an aquarium with bad light and no flash.

When I got them on my machine it was just a

black square but enhanced realy well.

You can't get motion shots though as they blurr badly

and no baby shark pics :-(

Did you use macro when you took your crystal pic

"They sometimes use symbols like a flower for close up or "macro" and mountains for normal or landscape stuff."

Ahh, I see. I guess I used it then. However, the picture probably didn't turn out as well as it could have, but pretty good anyway.

Edit: I'm actually quite sure I used it, since the camera refuses to take close-pictures without the close-up option. :P

• 1 month later...

Interesting... can you kill them? I am not /wanting/ you to, I just would like to... well... test something. *evil grin*

An electrical charge, maybe? Merely 30,000 volts!!! *maniacal laughter* No seriously, I experimented on pillbugs using 400 volts... they "popped like popcorn" as my stepmother said. ^^

it sounds more like torture to me. similer to the little kid burning ants with a magnifying glass.

what was the purpose of the experiment. what was your hypothesis, "how much electricity does it take to pop a pillbug?"

First, I must state this: pillbugs do not have an advanced enough nervous system nor do they have pain impulses.

Second, yes, it was a very good experiment and the hypothesis was as follows:

"If a Armadillidium vulgare, a.k.a pillbug, is introduced into a containment area in which continuosly has an electrical charge of 400 volts, what will Armadillium vulgare's immediate reaction be?"

And the reason for this experiment is I was testing if the outer shell of pillbugs can contain electricity. For my chemistry teacher said that pillbugs can crawl underground electrical fences (like the ones for cows and large dogs) and not get zapped. Thus, I was testing (since 400 volts is the range that the electrical fence would be) to see if that was true. I refuted him and he was quite impressed! ^^

I am not a maniac, I do not torture pillbugs, *repeats* I swear....

~Cubes

"if not' date=' take one on a trip down the london underground to see what they think, or more to the point what others think!"

I always thought it would be cool if you had an insect or a spider large enough so that you could take it for a walk and scare people with it. :) I guess a 30cm scorpion should do it.[/quote']

a 19th century french poet did this

Gerard de Nerval had a lobster as a pet

he had a leash for it so he could take it for walks outdoors

I believe he died insane

(the poet, not the lobster)

I bought these things partly so that I can observe their behaviour, and study the amazing adaptations that their progenitors have evolved over millions of years, and partly because it's in the nature of the human individual to look after - and take responsibility for - other life.

So no, PersonCube, of course I am not going to fry them.

Aww... well, maybe if they get a disease and are suffering? *crowd shuns him and pulls out torches and pitchforks* Oh, fine... It was just a thought... :'-(

PS: I am an active biologist and love all life... even the most minute. I do believe it is okay to conduct experiments upon smaller things without any sense of pain, such as pillbugs or roaches or something. ^^

~Cubes

• 4 weeks later...

I am unfortunately required to report the passing on of the scorpion formerly known as "Slim Shady".

The coroner's report lists "persistant fasting, due to being a skinny and nervous nancy" as the cause of death.

Which is odd, because the buggers are meant to aestivate in times of food stress.