Einstein's riddle

http://www.englishforums.com/English/EinsteinsRiddleFish/bhvj/post.htm

Don't write the answer to the riddle in the comments, just write Howe long it took you, or if you gave up, be honest

This has probably been done on here before but i'm new so you'll have to excuse me please

I'll go first, it took me just under ten minutes and a page of working it out, I got there but not with ease :)

Good luck

Edited by space noob

The German has the fish, smokes Prince, has a green house, and drinks coffee. The Norwegian drinks water, has a yellow house, smokes Dunhill, and has a cat. The Dane drinks tea, has a blue house, smokes blends, and has a horse. The Brit drinks milk, has a red house, smokes Pall Mall, and has a bird. The Swede drinks beer, has a white house, smokes Bluemaster, and has a dog.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I liked that one. Pretty tough--I figured it out at about 25 min... you beat my time lol

Well done! I think my page of working out may have been cheating so 25 minutes is probably a great time

Edited by space noob

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that you have to be gifted (IQ > 130) to get this, and this is what Einstein probably meant with the 2%.

Solving the riddle can be done by a simple algorithm which means that basically everyone can do it. Just look what fits, write it down, repeat. In my solution, there was only one step where I had to think 3 steps further to get it, but even that can be done by simple try and error in less than 25 min. ;)

In addition to ydoaPs's solution:

The order is yellow, blue, red, green and white. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did this long time ago, don't remember the time. But probably around 5 to 10 minutes.

Most of you if not all probably got the wrong answer. If this puzzle is supposed to be solvable only for 2% of the population, then why is it that most people solved it and under 30 minutes? That is because they don't know they're wrong, they just think they got the right answer. It is not that hard to create a matrix and use linear logic to "solve" the puzzle, it doesn't take a genius to do that. If you said the German had the fish then you are wrong. Think about the last step you took to solve the puzzle. Are you sure that is logical?

Took me about 25 minutes, but I wasted 10 of those trying to find a way to avoid working it out more than one or two steps ahead before giving in and then solving it a few minutes later.

I did this long time ago, don't remember the time. But probably around 5 to 10 minutes.

Most of you if not all probably got the wrong answer. If this puzzle is supposed to be solvable only for 2% of the population, then why is it that most people solved it and under 30 minutes? That is because they don't know they're wrong, they just think they got the right answer. It is not that hard to create a matrix and use linear logic to "solve" the puzzle, it doesn't take a genius to do that. If you said the German had the fish then you are wrong. Think about the last step you took to solve the puzzle. Are you sure that is logical?

What you're implying is the first thing I considered when reading the puzzle, but really hoped wasn't the intention because it's a neat puzzle and I'd just rather not have the answer be something that shallow.

Edited by Delta1212

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I cheated I used excel to tabulate all the information

once I had it it took me 5 minutes of fiddling to get it done for 12 minutes in total

edit:

just wanted to say it felt like sudoku with words to me

Edited by dmaiski

I like the riddle, but I think Einstein could have done better because this riddle wasn't about thinking outside the box it was just about grueling testing and just testing different possibilities until you exhausted all the wrong ones.

1349231222[/url]' post='705490']

I like the riddle, but I think Einstein could have done better because this riddle wasn't about thinking outside the box it was just about grueling testing and just testing different possibilities until you exhausted all the wrong ones.

I could've sworn the answer was going to involve the houses being in some odd configuration, like a circle.

Took about 15 mins to write everything down onto notecards. Fun tho...

• 4 months later...

I think Einstein did not intend for this puzzle to be solved on paper. The 2% means people who can solve it in their head. Try doing that and see how long it takes you! It doesn't necessarily require a high IQ, just a good memory and lots of patients. I spent 2 hours one day and solved it entirely in my head. It's totally possible if you keep at it. At the time when I did this puzzle I had never heard about it before and didn't know that solving it on paper was even an option! tongue.png