Is there something after we die?

rigney

It would be nice to have two or three hundred years as a lifetime to distinguish between the good and bad points of our existance that we have been exposed to. But when I watch something like this, it makes me wonder? I'm not religious by any stretch, but this kind of nut "scares hell" out of me. Can we make a destinction between scientific knowledge and an unfalsifiable religion with people like this around?

Edited by rigney

Sometimes I think people feel they have to join one camp or the other. Absolute certainty that God exists or absolute certainty that he doesn't. My truthful stance is that I really don't know and don't understand why people say I must decide. Like you I shall know. or not know, as the case may be soon enough! If God exists I cannot believe He will condemn me for using the reasoning powers He has given me to doubt His existence!

I quite like the vision of Heaven and Hell given in the link.

http://en.wikipedia....the_long_spoons

Edited by Joatmon

All hillbillies go to hell rigney, it's a familiar place for most of us... If there is a god, for there to be hell he has to be a specific god. the concept of hell is not universal nor is it ancient. Christians came up with the concept, Muslims liked it so much they incorporated it into their religion as well. I would prefer, if I must believe, to believe in a god who is more just than the concept of hell allows for.

All hillbillies go to hell rigney, it's a familiar place for most of us... If there is a god, for there to be hell he has to be a specific god. the concept of hell is not universal nor is it ancient. Christians came up with the concept, Muslims liked it so much they incorporated it into their religion as well. I would prefer, if I must believe, to believe in a god who is more just than the concept of hell allows for.

Gotta give you a big "AMEN" on that one Moon. Us hill folk know exactly where you are coming from. I just happened to run across this and wondered if there were actually people espousing such a disbelief and with such hatred? I've known some bad asses in my time, but this guy takes the cake.

Sometimes I think people feel they have to join one camp or the other. Absolute certainty that God exists or absolute certainty that he doesn't. My truthful stance is that I really don't know and don't understand why people say I must decide. Like you I shall know. or not know, as the case may be soon enough! If God exists I cannot believe He will condemn me for using the reasoning powers He has given me to doubt His existence!

I quite like the vision of Heaven and Hell given in the link.

http://en.wikipedia....the_long_spoons

Couldn't agree with you more. And if you have been to the brink, even once; it does make you wonder. Edited by rigney

Why does there need to be a god for there to be something after we die? I can easily dismiss the concept of any gods but the idea that consciousness lives on after we shuffle off this mortal coil is very attractive. And I don't have to change the way I live in this life to entertain the idea that there might be something more after it. In fact, without the whole God/sin/worship/heaven/hell franchise, I don't even need to speculate what comes after. Maybe all I need is a sense of wonder and awe at what a marvelous place this universe is.

Perhaps heaven is the excitement of learning what's beyond and hell is being afraid of some vengeful deity.

Is there something after we die? I'm going straight to hell.

Been there. Some dude named bubba with horns throwed me out and told me not to come back since I don't believe in hell. :)

Been there. Some dude named bubba with horns throwed me out and told me not to come back since I don't believe in hell. :)

What an idiot!

Why does there need to be a god for there to be something after we die? I can easily dismiss the concept of any gods but the idea that consciousness lives on after we shuffle off this mortal coil is very attractive. And I don't have to change the way I live in this life to entertain the idea that there might be something more after it. In fact, without the whole God/sin/worship/heaven/hell franchise, I don't even need to speculate what comes after. Maybe all I need is a sense of wonder and awe at what a marvelous place this universe is.

, or what it might be?

Perhaps heaven is the excitement of learning what's beyond and hell is being afraid of some vengeful deity.

Edited by rigney

I'm not religious by any stretch, but this kind of nut "scares hell" out of me. Can we make a destinction between scientific knowledge and an unfalsifiable religion with people like this around?

Why does he scare you? Because he curses and is loud? He is basically telling all the dominatrix wannabe's that their fantasies do not scare him.

All hillbillies go to hell rigney, it's a familiar place for most of us... If there is a god, for there to be hell he has to be a specific god. the concept of hell is not universal nor is it ancient. Christians came up with the concept,...

I was going to say that I thought the Greeks came up with it, but then I checked up on that, started to read a little and man what a flustercuck! I stopped before my head exploded.

Gehenna

I think its safe to say that threats of this sort have always been around and evolve as the ideas evolve. Good intentions gone bad.

in regards to what the thread title would appear to be asking:

Edited by john5746

I don't believe in the afterlife and I don't believe in souls or ghosts. I believe that this life is it. The only part of you that can 'live on' after death is your name and your legacy.

There is very probably no life after death. Live for today and enjoy life. If you need something to look forward to, order an item online and wait for it to be delivered to your home.