How will I do in chemistry in college?

I'm about to graduate from high school on June 4th. I would really like to study chemistry in college and get some kind of job in the future related to chemistry.

In the past, I never really had good study habits. Junior high and early high school, I never studied at home. I just used the time in class to do any practice or other form of studying. However, now that I took AP chemistry this year, that has started to change.

I took AP chemistry all this year, and I made C's every quarter, both semesters. I'm a B student in math classes when I just do any studying and practice during class time. For chemistry, I tried a lot harder than I normally do, but I admit that I still didn't try my hardest. I did start to do practice problems on my own time, and occasionally made flash cards, etc. I sometimes read the text book.

My laziness throughout my entire life came from a very poor confidence level and a lot of uncertainty about the quality of my future. My confidence has slowly risen throughout high school. While I'm not 100% confident yet, I've always been a curious person and have had a deep passion for the sciences, and I enjoy math, even if it's a pain sometimes.

What I want to know from you is this: if I really, really get myself in order, will someone like me be able to stand a chance in college? AP chem served as a transition to help me prepare for college, and so far I've done just okay. If I really get serious about it, read my book for all the chapters and study consistently (and not cram the night before), do a lot of practice problems and work to understand concepts, do you think I will survive?

Tell me about any of your experiences too, and tell me about what has helped you study in college - how you did it, which resources you used the most, etc.

I really appreciate your input in advance. :)

If you consistently put in good work, you should be fine. However, you must be quick to recognize when something is hard because you're missing a more fundamental skill. For example, you might find that some of your chemistry problems are hard because you have trouble with some of the math. Don't just study harder on chemistry: find a tutor or a book to help you with the math, so you can succeed with the chemistry.

Quite a few people don't recognize this, and so they just try to memorize ways of solving problems, instead of learning their missing skill. They end up struggling through classes.

Colleges always have a pile of opportunities to get help: study groups, tutors, TAs, office hours, and so on. Make use of some of them. (Study groups are good; you get to screw around while pretending you're doing work.)

It sounds like you can evaluate problems within your own character and work to overcome them. That alone makes you way above average. Trying hard and having it pay off is a big confidence booster. Just remember your successes and how hard you have to work to get them, and keep the perspective that it's a good thing and not a burden. "Someone like you" is absolutely made for college, and I think you're going to enjoy the challenges and keep doing better and better.

Cap'n Refsmmat: Thank you for the advice. I will keep in mind that I should look out for those missing skills. I know that algebra can often times come back to kick people in the butt, for example, when taking courses like chemistry. I'm definitely not afraid to ask for help, as a lot of times I have asked my teacher to help me during both my lunch and study hall periods.

It sounds like there are way more resources at college that can help me, so I'm really looking forward to having those advantages. :)

Phi for All: Thank you so much for your response. :) Even though I didn't try my best, the extra work that I did put in helped with my confidence. It's a great relief and a reward when something finally clicks or when I get faster at solving a problem. Right before second semester, I even got myself a dry erase board to do math on at home, which has made studying a little more fun.

I place high value on understanding the concepts over just memorizing the way a problem is solved. I really do hope that college is for me. Once I get myself the money to get in there, I'll finally have a fresh start, and will start cracking down on my study habits to improve. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish. =>

Edited by radioactive cookie

If you consistently put in good work, you should be fine. However, you must be quick to recognize when something is hard because you're missing a more fundamental skill. For example, you might find that some of your chemistry problems are hard because you have trouble with some of the math. Don't just study harder on chemistry: find a tutor or a book to help you with the math, so you can succeed with the chemistry.

This is great advice for all science students. It is important to note that a good understanding of basic physics will also come to one's aid in the study of chemistry. Don't get me wrong, the ability to solve trajectory problems will not directly help one do chemistry. But in the end, chemistry is what you get when you take all of physics as an axiom and apply it to the interactions between atoms. More physics and math is always good for a budding chemist. Always.

Quite a few people don't recognize this, and so they just try to memorize ways of solving problems, instead of learning their missing skill. They end up struggling through classes.

Memorization: the number one route to death by a thousand cuts. Memorization displays its weakness when one sees a problem where the fundamental conditions of the problem are different but the guiding principle is the same. Those who have true understanding are not shaken by these problems but enlightened. Those who rely on memory begin to get flustered at this point.

Memorization has its place in chemistry (stuff like memorizing polyatmoic ions and such), but it is no substitute for a real understanding of the subject. Memorization is necessary but not sufficient.

Colleges always have a pile of opportunities to get help: study groups, tutors, TAs, office hours, and so on. Make use of some of them. (Study groups are good; you get to screw around while pretending you're doing work.)

Indeed. Also make friends with upperclassmen undergrads and grad students. They can be powerful allies.

OP,

I'm sure you'll do fine if you are willing to work and learn to love the subject. You appear to have both of these qualities as you care enough to ask strangers for advice.

Good Luck

EDIT: English

Edited by mississippichem

Thank you so much, mississippichem. c= I have definitely noticed that physics takes a major role in some of the topics covered in chemistry, like kinetic energy. When I'm ever having trouble with chemistry in the future, I'll be checking to see if I understand concepts instead of cramming to memorize all the stuff.

I realize that my old ways of insufficient study or even no study will never be enough for college, and that I'm going to have to put in a lot of time. Having already taken AP chemistry, which is very similar to chem 101, I'm looking forward to being prepared and knowing what to expect - hopefully that'll get me off to a very good start.

Thanks for the good luck. I'm feeling more confident after hearing your guys' advice. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to graduate from high school on June 4th. I would really like to study chemistry in college and get some kind of job in the future related to chemistry.

In the past, I never really had good study habits. Junior high and early high school, I never studied at home. I just used the time in class to do any practice or other form of studying. However, now that I took AP chemistry this year, that has started to change.

I took AP chemistry all this year, and I made C's every quarter, both semesters. I'm a B student in math classes when I just do any studying and practice during class time. For chemistry, I tried a lot harder than I normally do, but I admit that I still didn't try my hardest. I did start to do practice problems on my own time, and occasionally made flash cards, etc. I sometimes read the text book.

My laziness throughout my entire life came from a very poor confidence level and a lot of uncertainty about the quality of my future. My confidence has slowly risen throughout high school. While I'm not 100% confident yet, I've always been a curious person and have had a deep passion for the sciences, and I enjoy math, even if it's a pain sometimes.

What I want to know from you is this: if I really, really get myself in order, will someone like me be able to stand a chance in college? AP chem served as a transition to help me prepare for college, and so far I've done just okay. If I really get serious about it, read my book for all the chapters and study consistently (and not cram the night before), do a lot of practice problems and work to understand concepts, do you think I will survive?

Tell me about any of your experiences too, and tell me about what has helped you study in college - how you did it, which resources you used the most, etc.

I really appreciate your input in advance. :)

I'll try to say in a simple words. A wise man will not count his previous records but the future plans and ambitions while making decisions. You are passionate about it, Aren't you? You'll be dedicated to perform well, won't you? Then go ahead. Stop thinking! But it's mandatory to have a checklist. Prepare a checklist and follow it every single day without fail. You'll succeed.

Edited by nekha123

I would really like to study chemistry in college and get some kind of job in the future related to chemistry.

... and then you launched into your academic habits.

You are passionate about it, Aren't you? You'll be dedicated to perform well, won't you?

So, why? Why does chemistry attract your attention? If it has already attracted you, and you are sure of it, then it has attracted you for some time now. Do you do chemistry experiments at home? Do you hang around with your chemistry teachers at school before/after classes? Bottom line — do you have a passion for it? Do you see it as your way of making the world a better place?

High school is a time when teachers and parents need to be encouraging their students to realize what they have a passion for and how they want to make the world a better place. Unfortunately, little or none of this actually takes place, and students end up leaving high school on autopilot. As it is, we have far too many rock stars and video game beta testers.